SAU Community

Top Gear Australia

mralbino

Is it just me or does the Top Gear Australia team have a tendancy to really float GM, or more specifically the Holden Motor Company's boat. :)

I would'nt mind betting they are major sponsors of the show.

The thing that made me rise an eyebrow was the comment mad about the CLK Black, in that "it weighs 1800kg" and that its got a "slush box". Correct me if iam wrong but does'nt the VE that they love so much weigh more than 1800kg and to has an autobox, which i am sure is not of the quality the guys working at Mercedes cant produce.

This is not a stab at Holden just a topic that i though may provoke a discussion on the credibility displayed, by a show that once made me look forward to mondays. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly, but they aren't comparing the two, if holden released a 1600kg retro torana with the 6L V8 for $45k it might get good reviews as a package because of the performance etc for it's class, if at the same time BMW released an M4 with more power than the torana and the same weight but a $70k price tag t might get the thumbs down simply because it doesn't deliver on expectation of the brand and pricetag. This doesn't mean the people giving the review are bias towards holden, it's simply that they are taking the car on it's merits

Thats true

Thiswas really only an example, i guess only time will tell.

Just funny how, iam going to use the word again. Holden's vehicles have in some form made their way in to just about every episode. I am not a Ford or Holden man but the episode which compared the FPV F6 and the HSV R8 was less than diplomatic and the areas where they did try to be were clearly forced and unntural.

Just my opinion, i mean i know i would'nt be able to produce a neutral program. I think every episode would feature the New GTR.

GO NISSAN, woot woot :)

GTR FTW :)

But yeah I hear what you're saying with the whole GM theory.... Personally I don't think they are doing their testing of any of the vehicles anywhere near indepth enough. It's all just for show and trying to be 'funny' like the UK guys are... But with them it comes naturally!

I'll stick with it for now and see how they go. Hopefully it will improve with each episode.

possibly, but they aren't comparing the two, if holden released a 1600kg retro torana with the 6L V8 for $45k it might get good reviews as a package because of the performance etc for it's class, if at the same time BMW released an M4 with more power than the torana and the same weight but a $70k price tag t might get the thumbs down simply because it doesn't deliver on expectation of the brand and pricetag. This doesn't mean the people giving the review are bias towards holden, it's simply that they are taking the car on it's merits

The problem there in my opinion (again) is the BMW would be worth the extra $30k,the M4 is a surpurb car which has proven its credintials on a world stage time and time again its like comparing the New GTR with a price tag around the $150k mark to the 911 with the $350k+ price tag. Throwing Displacement and power at a problem is a prehistoric answer that unfortunalty the bulk of Australia's population beleve to be the only right solution.

Which brings me back to my first point, the show is engineered to keep the typical falcadoor supporters happy whilst forgetting the rest of us.

I think the main "bagging" of the Merc was the fact that your paying 300k for it and they believe your not getting 300k's value which I have to agree with...

You could buy heaps of more cars for less money that are better fitted to the track and this was Merc's attempt at a track day car...

Dont read into their reviews too deeply, their simply scripted statements that leave watchers to make their own minds up...

Just remember its entertainment not a serious guide to motoring...

So play nice. lol

i see what your saying and extra $100k is a bit steep, but go to any dealer and start adding factory extras and watch base line price increase. Cant beat factory for quality.

i see what your saying and extra $100k is a bit steep,

A bit steep... Fark you have deep pockets... Thats a whole R35 GTR right there... :bunny:

Cant beat factory for quality.
I strongly disagree on many levels...

Anyway back to your initial question, No I dont believe their bias.

I believe they are reading scripts for the purposes of entertainment...

I believe they fence sitters if anything, hence the FORD vs HOLDEN battle last week declared no winner (predictable)...

have watched two episodes, first one pissed me off , and it was shit, thought f**k it, ill give em a second go, and again got half way through before changing the channel, total shit. to me, it just isnt interesting, they are trying to hard to be identical to the UK guys, that can avctually keep the viewer interested in teh show,

yeah next week they are doing a special on the VE and there's some thing with astra's in it, dunno if they are sponsored by holden but its a fact that majority of aussies love their commonwhores and foulcoons

Has anyone seen Clarksons review of the CLK Black? Maybe Mercedes secretly sponsor the UK show? who knows?

I love the UK series, and im trying my hardest to like these guys but the reviews are just lacking that little bit.

I hear what mralbino is saying about forgetting the rest of us, i want an over opinionated unbiased view of which car they think is better and not just two guys sitting on the fence trying to be everyones friend. Its just an opinion after all.

I think one of the things that makes the UK show good is, as above, they're not trying to make friends. They call it how it is.

If they hate a car, they'll say so in no uncertain terms. If it's an understeering pig, they'll show you several shots of it with smoke billowing from under the front tyres, that kind of thing. And, if they like a car, they'll show it screaming around the track, describing how it obliterates your senses or whatever. Either way you're left in no doubt about where they stand.