SAU Community

Moving To Adelaide - Questions..

B-Man

Hey Fellow SAU'ers,

My girlie is originally from Adelaide and wants to move back there in the new year, for certain reasons - which I am supportive of. So looks like I will be moving too.

Having never been to SA before and not knowing a hell of a lot about the place, I thought I'd ask my like minded colleagues some questions that of vital importance to me :bunny:

I have a highly modified S12 Gazelle that is registered in NSW (not engineered, as I am 41, good driving record etc, and cops don't touch me even when pulled over and inspected etc)

What's involved in transferring rego from NSW to SA ? I recall a thread that 'Steve' started years ago that went on about "regency" and their more than anal attitude to registering modified cars - Is this still the case ?? What am I up for here ??

What's the off street scene like ? Drags, Circuit, Drift etc ? Do you guys have a few events etc ?? What tracks are good ?

How about parts places and workshops ? What sort of selection have you got ?

And in general - what's the car scene like ? I find in NSW the scene is divided into idiots and enthusiasts - I fit into the latter category :(

Over and above the car stuff:

What's a good suburb to live in ? Most likely I will be working in the CBD - I'm hoping to keep my job at the big T or get a transfer so I'm guessing housing is a little more affordable than Sydney.

And lastly - are there any ex pat NSWelshmen on here that can fill me in on the hot tips you learnt on the differences and similarities between Adelaide and Sydney ??

Thanks heaps

Cheers,

Brendan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they don't have fritz in sydney ? :bunny:

you may find norwood/kensington/st peters a nice area's and only a short commute to the city

yes regency is still anal you may jag a visual inspection

street drags well [tongue in cheek] we have anzac raceway and pt wakefield raceway[/tongue in cheek] (not to be taken literally)

we dont have a drag strip atm thanks to Bob Jane and our circuit track is out bush i guess its not to bad but its no oran park

we too have the aforementioned idiots and enthusiasts, the line that separates those 2 seems to move here in SA

i don't know how 'pretty' your shell is, but your best bet would probably be to drive your current gazelle down, find a locally registered s12 and swap everything over. to get sa rego on it you'll need to have an ID check done, which can be done at a cop shop or a place just down the road from regency and if they don't deem it roadworthy they will defect you

there's plenty of events on at mallala, check out the website for times and dates - unfortunately no off street drags.

parts and workshops? got everything you would need really - go see the boys at smooth garage for mechanical and wait til the new WW store opens up soonish :bunny:

they don't have fritz in sydney ? :(

you may find norwood/kensington/st peters a nice area's and only a short commute to the city

yes regency is still anal you may jag a visual inspection

street drags well [tongue in cheek] we have anzac raceway and pt wakefield raceway[/tongue in cheek] (not to be taken literally)

we dont have a drag strip atm thanks to Bob Jane and our circuit track is out bush i guess its not to bad but its no oran park

we too have the aforementioned idiots and enthusiasts, the line that separates those 2 seems to move here in SA

They call it Devon, eww. Welcome to the home of yoyo biscuits, fritz and farmers union. Please bring as many boxes of krispy kremes as will fit on the plane :bunny:

We would have had a drag track up, apart from the machine they use to re-lay the surface, actually went through the new surface :S

Compared to NSW, we don't have as many fixed speed cameras, no tunnels or tolls to worry about, well the only tunnel to get excited about is the one on the freeway, but its only fun if your travelling with 5 other loud RB's :( Youll spot heaps more skylines in Adelaide compared to Syd, at least that's what i found everytime i visit, but maye i was missing something.

Keep your eye out on here at all times, theres usually social meets on friday nights, theres paintballing coming up, probably go-karts soon, and the odd cruise here and there.

When do you arrive?

Its not 100% decided yet - gotta work out some stuff with the family courts as she has kids and needs to apply to take them inter state - and the ex is a fark tard

Most likely Feb next year or later

Welcome (soon) to our humble little town.

What's involved in transferring rego from NSW to SA ? I recall a thread that 'Steve' started years ago that went on about "regency" and their more than anal attitude to registering modified cars - Is this still the case ?? What am I up for here ??

Technically all you need is an ID inspection, BUT if they suspect the car is modified they can send it for a full inspection. I dont think re-shelling is required (as mentioned), BUT you will want to have the car stock looking. If you have some photo's to see what it looks like will definately help.

What's the off street scene like ? Drags, Circuit, Drift etc ? Do you guys have a few events etc ?? What tracks are good ?

Drags is dead in the water (as mentioned) but circuit and drift is still pretty active. We only have the one track Mallala, which is a pity, but its usually pretty busy there with practice days, club sprints etc. check out www.mallala.com

Workshops recommended in adelaide include Boostworx (for all things nissan) Morpowa, Southern Hi-Tech Dyno, etc. Plenty of choice with parts being just as avaialbe as the rest of aust.

And in general - what's the car scene like ? I find in NSW the scene is divided into idiots and enthusiasts - I fit into the latter category

Definitely idiots and enthusiasts. For enthusiast best joining actual clubs that participate in events, eg. Club PSi, Nissan Datsun Owners Club etc, forums tend to contain more idiots than enthusiasts.

What's a good suburb to live in ? Most likely I will be working in the CBD - I'm hoping to keep my job at the big T or get a transfer so I'm guessing housing is a little more affordable than Sydney.

If you can afford it, eastern Suburbs like Norwood, kensington, magill etc. Or inner south such as Unley, Clapham, even Blackwood etc are all good.

Again, welcome B)

The Sturt Vehicle Identity Inspection station is not as anal as Regency. They carry out inspections only as far as I am aware. I've passed 4 bikes and 3 cars thru there and never seen any paperwork they'd have ready for a defect. One of my cars was a SR20 powered 200B with supercharger. The inspectors didn't like it much (it was engineered anyway) but could only do the VIN inspection.

:)

They call it Devon, eww. Welcome to the home of yoyo biscuits, fritz and farmers union. Please bring as many boxes of krispy kremes as will fit on the plane :)

We would have had a drag track up, apart from the machine they use to re-lay the surface, actually went through the new surface :S

Compared to NSW, we don't have as many fixed speed cameras, no tunnels or tolls to worry about, well the only tunnel to get excited about is the one on the freeway, but its only fun if your travelling with 5 other loud RB's :D Youll spot heaps more skylines in Adelaide compared to Syd, at least that's what i found everytime i visit, but maye i was missing something.

Keep your eye out on here at all times, theres usually social meets on friday nights, theres paintballing coming up, probably go-karts soon, and the odd cruise here and there.

When do you arrive?

hahahahahah good one damo

mate bring a truck load of krispy kremes when you come down

Hey B-Man, good stuff mate... you'll grow to love this city.

You'll need a vehicle identity check at either Sturt Station or Regency. They'll need to look at the engine number to make sure it matches what's suppose to be on the database. They're not specifically looking to defect you, but if your car is obviously unroadworthy you'll have the problems fixed and come back. So things like illegally tinted windows, etc.

Adelaide International Raceway after much debacle is opening up again for street meets.

There's Mallala our premier drift track.

There's Country SA events.

We've got a new torrens island motorplex being proposed and that's close to city.

As for events, there's RallySA, Clipsal500, Bay to Birdwood, All Japan Day, Small Car Sunday, Autosalon Adelaide, Hotrod shows, etc.

JMS is/was here. If you look around on the forums you'll see a few that are based in Adelaide.

Boostworx, Graham West, are great places to get work done on your car.

Selection of gear is quite good, I have mates come over from Sydney specifically to find parts for their cars.

And in general - what's the car scene like ? I find in NSW the scene is divided into idiots and enthusiasts - I fit into the latter category :)

Same... idiots and enthusiasts, then you have enthusiastic idiots.

Anywhere in the East. The West is great for a sea change, and is coming up very nicely. CBD apartments are great, and you'll pretty much always have something to do.

And lastly - are there any ex pat NSWelshmen on here that can fill me in on the hot tips you learnt on the differences and similarities between Adelaide and Sydney ??

Sorry can't help you there. Perhaps try over at sensational-adelaide.com

Thanks for the info guys.

My car could be a problem .....

My original S12 came with the crappy CA20E motor - It was basically stock when I got it.

Since then I have put an FJ20ET in there. Along with a few other mods.....

* High mount KKK (blitz) turbo

* 60mm External W/G vented to atmo (kinda hidden)

* BOV vented to atmo (hidden)

* Haltech E6X Engine Management

* FMIC

* R33 4 pots on the front replaced the single pots

* R31 discs on the rear replaced the original drums

* Detroit locker diff

* S15 5 speed G/B

* One piece tail shaft

* Gauges all over the shop

* Oil Cooler & Filter relocation

* Catch can

* S13 coilover conversion at the front

* 60mm lowered springs and HQ shocks at the read

The car still looks pretty stock from the outside - the only giveaways are the momo wheels, semi slicks and FMIC

But when you open the bonnet - it does not look standard.

perhaps another option for me is to transfer the rego to my parents - then keep the NSW rego on it ???

Doesn't sound to me like there'll be a long term solution... unless you want to go through the hassles of having your car engineered, then the new engine number assigned to the vehicle. I'd personally sell the car between now and feb, and pick something up here... it'll save you alot of headaches.

Welcome if you do make it down.

Adelaide is a like a big country town compared to Sydney so you will grow to love it.

You can actually drive thru our CBD in 10-15 minutes most times without the risk of hitting a One-Way street that takes you a 1/2 hr to go around to the start point again, lol