SAU Community

Importing From The U.k

Has any one here imported any cars from the u.k. A family friend has a mercedes CL600 their that he wants to send over to me but im not sure with the complience and customs over here. If anyone has imported from the U.K and knows how the system works i would appriciate your comments.

It's exactly the same as importing from any other country. For a CL600 you would have to import it under the 'Personal Imports' scheme, and for that you need to have owned the car for at least 12 months whilst being overseas. So unless you go over there for a year, it's unlikely you will be able to import the vehicle in your name.

• 6 months later...

If anyone is intrested in importing a car from the UK e.g ferrari,lamborghini,and maserati i have found a place in sydney that can help you import a car and comply the car also.

Price list for compliance http://www.modenaimports.com/Pricelist..pdf

For the price you pay for a R34 GTR you can get a maserati. :/

If anyone is intrested in importing a car from the UK e.g ferrari,lamborghini,and maserati i have found a place in sydney that can help you import a car and comply the car also.

Price list for compliance http://www.modenaimports.com/Pricelist..pdf

For the price you pay for a R34 GTR you can get the compliance costs on a maserati. :)

Edited for truth - those are for RHD cars and don't include the cost of parts, which pretty much doubles the price...

If your mate with the CL is an Aussie and has owned it for a year, shoot me an email and I can help out.

Edited for truth - those are for RHD cars and don't include the cost of parts, which pretty much doubles the price...

If your mate with the CL is an Aussie and has owned it for a year, shoot me an email and I can help out.

RHD or LHD?

Uk is the same side as aus. Are u sure about that my mate just got a Black with red leather 34,000miles Maserati 3200GT on the road for around $48,000 threw a complience centre in melbourne. He paid 12k pounds for the car from manchester and took him about 4months to have the car landed and on the road. You will see it around chatswood got silver and black plates indian guy driving it.

Nah his not a aussie citizen with the CL600 and his already sold the car anyways.

RHD or LHD?

Those prices are for RHD - LHD is more again.

Uk is the same side as aus. Are u sure about that my mate just got a Black with red leather 34,000miles Maserati 3200GT on the road for around $48,000 threw a complience centre in melbourne. He paid 12k pounds for the car from manchester and took him about 4months to have the car landed and on the road. You will see it around chatswood got silver and black plates indian guy driving it.

You can also own LHD cars in the UK, which is why I mentioned it.

You were talking about a place from Sydney, now you're talking about a workshop in Melbourne - depending on what the Melbourne workshop is charging for compliance, then it's probably possible, but with the guys in Sydney, it's impossible for that money.

You can also own LHD cars in the UK, which is why I mentioned it.

You can yes but they are all going to be mainland european or yankee imports, shouldnt make any difference to your import regs though

*searches for facepalm pic*

Yes I know that, buying a LHD car doesn't make a difference to whether or not you can import it, but it makes a huge difference to the compliance costs if you have to convert it to RHD :P

*searches for facepalm pic*

Yes I know that, buying a LHD car doesn't make a difference to whether or not you can import it, but it makes a huge difference to the compliance costs if you have to convert it to RHD :P

Are you saying that those listed prices don't include parts, even for RHD cars?

Correct - last time I rang them for a price on compliance on a Maserati, I was quoted $14K + parts costs which, because they use all factory parts, were another $14K roughly.

Edited by Iron Chef

Correct - last time I rang them for a price on compliance on a Maserati, I was quoted $14K + parts costs which, because they use all factory parts, were another $14K roughly.

There goes any plans to get a F355 from the UK as my next importing venture. :P

Ill try getting a hold of my mate to get the name and number of the place he used in melbourne. As far as i know if your in sydney they recommended this place that i just listed, i or anyone i know has used this place in sydney.

As far as i know the complience place in melbourne dont like dealing with the nsw rta and will charge u extra for nsw rego. Also when he imported the maserati it was 43p-44p to the dollar i think now its close to 48p-49p.

I will post up the contact details in the next few days.

GT-R32: Lol if ur thinking of importing a ferrari from the uk go for a 4 seater e.g 456 or 550M cause they tend to lose value over their quicker.

Edited by MR22FORU

STEANO - ROTA OZ: Might contact u soon as i sell my R32 GT-R. Im considering importing an exotic from the uk, only thing with some of these importing/complience places is that they dont give u much of a choice when it comes to the cars there willing to help u import.

GT-R32: Now is a preety good time to do it cause the pound to the aus dollar is preety weak. Today its 49.32p to the $aus.

piston heads , ebay and autotrader are the most popular 3 in the uk

I ve seen gallardo's go for 45k ;-0

Like i said i ve a lot of contacts in the motor trade in the uk if anyone needs a hand

J

Thanks John, I'm sure we all appreciate it. I'm merely cautiously contemplating now, I think we only have time on our hands given the state of the world economies.