SAU Community

Me wish to Learn the way of the Dorift

Cam, I soo want your car. If you're ever gunna sell it, or *touch wood* write it off, I want some of your goodies make sure you let me know. My cars the same colour, but I don't wanna rip off anyone so i'm just gunna get it running better and quicker before making any rash decsions with looks.

• 2 weeks later...

cam - dont drift in the dry.

when its raining late at night, find a left hand corner or a very visible intersection with lots of space to slide out - with OLD SCHOOL slippery bitumen. start in 1st gear, seriously, and slowly progress to higher speeds. I used to absolutely freeze up when the car started sliding, even though i could confidently hammer through the mountains. the skidpan sessions (2) have done wonders. Dry drift is nasty stuff when you are learning, ive had too many sessions of death fishies doing it. stay away.

youve got a big advantage with the lsd though, heaps easier to get the arse out. turning right onto 2 or even better 3 lane roads is a great place to do it, get the slide going a few metres before the traffic island if there is one.

basically, start small, wet and slippery, as you did some years ago.

KNOW THE CORNER. it seems you havent on previous occasions, and youre not confident or skilled at drift, its a recipe for disaster and dirty undies. i still get a bit worried when i slide but lots of practice in the rain has been the key.

im going to be organising another skidpan session in winter hopefully and ill give you a squirt in my car if you like, its really at home on the pan.

Slip, thanks for the help....very usefull info mate. Although the skid pan helped heaps I am still haunted by the rather expensive and damaging 2 accidents I have had and I find my self coming on boost around corners I always get a nasty feeling, like anything practice makes perfect so I will be at the next pan for sure.

I have always been a high speed man and will probably continue to be, "if you are going to die driving make it spectacular" :wink:

like you boostmeister, i have always been a high speed man and have paid the price before. i too want to learn the awesome art of drifting but a little scared of the consquence's if something goes wrong. I haven't even got the car yet so will be waiting till i know how the car handles.

i like your motto "if you are going to die driving make it spectacular". it's not what i'm aiming to do but it still sounds cool.

There was this crazy little Japanese dude called Mito Natto he was a test driver for Top Fuel and one day was testing a turbo charged civic through a long tunnel, just after reaching 300km/h he exited the tunnel and a cross wind sent him out of control and crashing into a rice field. Although the car was fitted with a full cage the angle of the accident caused his death. He is well known all over Japan and you will see many cars with a Mito Natto sticker on the front bar or top corner of the windscreen.

I do not wish to emulate this act and as such am very carefull where and when and what I do in my car, a road at 120km/h is smooth but at 240+ its as bumpy as hell. Take it a bit at a time and learn how the car feels, it you don't like the feeling STOP, whether its High Speed, Drift, Street Drag, be safe and never do it near other "Innocent" motorists.

Be prepared to die as it will happen, you may be old and incontinent or young and strong, it doesn't matter death has no favourites but if you temp him he may just teach you a lesson, and your family and your friends.

Cam

never knew the story of natto san but I'm alway careful and I alway leave an out.I drove cabs for 10 years and learnt alot in that time cause alot of the cars were shitters and I worked nights so to make money you had to cover ground quickly in what you had. But i dont try drift or high speed stuff in busy area'a a quiet industrial area is the best to learn drift on a sunday afternoon.

you alway have to think of the worst .

cheers

meggala

Guest [ryan]

I almost fall off my bike if i do 60 down a hill when its windy :)

theres some useless stupid funny info for ya !! hhehehehe

I too have felt the pain of a failed drift and losing a friend (different occasions)!!! 2 hours after getting my skyline i went and picked up a friend to drive my other car home... 200m from the place there was an off-camber intersection... It was a right hander from where i was coming from... In second gear i spin the steering wheel around and planted my foot, it was going well until boost came on and the tyres suddenly gripped the road... The rear end went to the opposite side and i had no where to go but into the 30cm high square curb... I broke 4 control arms in total and 2 weeks without my new car...

I lost a close friend of my when he decided to go to a party with some friends and had a few drinks... Being responsible he gave the keys to a mate... The keys where to an RX7!!! Which the mate couldn't handle... The mate planted his foot and into a telegraph pole they went. The mate died instantly and my friend was put into a coma and died a week later...

I have DEFINITELY learnt my lessons and only drift where there is no chance of damaging my car or anyone else...

my 2 cents...

cam, im still scared as hell to drift because if i hurt my baby, i'll feel so damn bad. never lost a friend in a car crash though, or even had one hurt themselves.

it should be noted that i mainly commit myself to near and post-apex drifting on the road. im thinking about going for the full drift entry, but need the balls, time, and place. respect to you cam for drifting in such a nice car.

Guest 33GTS25

couldn't agree more

if you are going to practice on wet roads, make sure you give the roads abit of time to lose their slick, this may only take half an hour in a good rain

i particularly like dirt roads because there is usually very little traffic around. but there is the added problem of trying to correct if you drift a corner and you come across oncoming traffic (brown undie day)

you could always practise at night ona dirt road so you could at least see headlights coming on but dont forget you may take out some bunnies etc.

but at least thats better than another human being

if you have friends that have lots of land or at least a very big block (i.e doxximus, wink wink nudge nudge) you could always let loose there if you have permission

just a couple of ideas

rod

• 2 weeks later...

i think there are schools in oz that teach proper drifting...one of the reasons i came here to study...i have heard of rally schools. best to learn from them cos those rally drivers r sideways thru all corners n on dirt u really need to know ur stuff when ur car starts sliding at 180km/h. altho u maybe good at it ur still gonna meet with accidents...did anyone see makinen roll his wrx in the last wrc outing?? not funny if it happened to u on bitumen. esp since our cars r not reinforced n dun have roll cages. also expensive to us cos we dun have nissan backing our arse if we crashed. :roll: anyways drifting is a fun way to go round corners but the best way to learn this would be to learn how to corner properly 1st. i noe because i crashed my car in singapore 9 times in 6 mths trying out rally stuff...not funny at the moment n definitely not cheap n not good for the insurance. ur fastest way thru a corner would be entry, apex n exit. so if ur thinking of drifting in a competitive race, ur gonna lose a lot of time cos to drift u need to break traction, which loses u sum time n sideways thru the corner is not exactly the shortest line so u lose some more time there.

but that said...drifting is hella fun. :twisted:

ur fastest way thru a corner would be entry, apex n exit. so if ur thinking of drifting in a competitive race, ur gonna lose a lot of time cos to drift u need to break traction, which loses u sum time n sideways thru the corner is not exactly the shortest line so u lose some more time there.

but that said...drifting is hella fun. :twisted:[/quote:6c0736db97]

you said it in your last sentence, drifting is about fun, not the fastest way around a corner. no one is trying to go fast when drifting.

9 accidents in 6 months 8O

ur fastest way thru a corner would be entry, apex n exit. so if ur thinking of drifting in a competitive race, ur gonna lose a lot of time cos to drift u need to break traction, which loses u sum time n sideways thru the corner is not exactly the shortest line so u lose some more time there.

but that said...drifting is hella fun. :twisted:[/quote:a3d2197a30]

you said it in your last sentence, drifting is about fun, not the fastest way around a corner. no one is trying to go fast when drifting.

9 accidents in 6 months 8O[/quote:a3d2197a30]

Yes, let's put him in a viper shall we :roll:

I've been throwing my car into a few more corners lately, but only in the dry, and once not intentionally...only problem was the dude next to me in the celica was trying to race me :twisted:

wet save tyres and is less dangerous.

Ure entry speed is heeps lower so if u do screw it up u only hit

wall at 30 instead of 70. Its like slow mo drifting. :lol:

Plus ive burned 50% of my tyres in 2 months and id like to save the money. :roll: