SAU Community

Day Trip To Melbourne

SSHatch

Hey all

Heading over to Melbourne on Saturday to pick up the GTR.

Just wanting a few pointers on whats to do to fill in the day till I get back on the boat that night.

Dont really know the place that well, I spent three days there about 7 years ago.

I cant go far as the car is on a permit till I get it back here in Tas and register it.

Any pointers on where to go that will keep me from getting bored.

Been searching on the net a bit but figure its easier to ask the locals...

Really not that bothered.

As long as its nearish the CBD, can park my car safely, dont have to walk far, wont cost me a fortune, food is nearby and there is something to see or do.

Markets, shopping centre, park, expo...

As long as I dont end up just sitting in mycar all day waiting for the boat to leave again.

I dont know anybody in Melbourne and just dont want to get stuck driving around aimlessly trying to find something to do.

St Kilda esplenade mate, hot girls, feral girls, fat girls, skinny girls. Girls everywhere, plus street market and plenty of food. Luna Park but parking is a bitch!

STAY AWAY FROM CHAPEL STREET!!

The southbank Esplanade along the Yarra is a nice spot to hang out. Right next to the CBD, plenty of restaurants and not too far from albert park either (plenty of public transport to get you around).

go to a car wash place give ya baby a good looooong wash,should kill an hour or two... go get some food... park your car at park in the city...bring a laptop and a rug. stretch out and relax and watch a movie while staring at your beast... then cruise back to the boat..doesnt sound like the worst day ever actually :cheers:

Where you picking it up from?

What time?

How long before you get back on the boat?

What do you fancy doing? How much cash will you have?

I could name 1000 things, but it all depends :cheers:

Even though most of this is already answered above...

Picking it up from a business near the CBD

In the morning.

On the boat that night. (Thus the what can I do to fill in a day part of the question...)

Anything that will keep me from being bored that wont cost me a fortune.

Start naming your 1000 things. Bet you dont even get close...

Thanks to the other's that posted usefull replies.

Car wash does sound like a plan, except it is coming off the boat here in Tas on Sunday and heading out to Symmons Plains for the day. Might get best presented trophy at least.

I didnt realise that there were so many places in that area between Port Melbourne and the CBD.

Looks like I will be able to fill in a day just getting lost there so wont need to stray much further.

Can anybody give me an idea of where the major car yards are like Subaru Docklands, HSV etc??

May sound like a stupid question but when ya never been there...

Well excuse me... morning could mean 11:00am, it could mean 8am.

Night can mean anytime... so i was just trying to get a better idea

And cash wise, things like $50 or $200... makes a difference

Anyway...

1. You can head to areas in and around St Kilda IMO. A nice drive along beach rd, warm day, usually works out alright.

There are some good places to eat along Acland St too (just off Beach Rd), all of this is in St. Kilda.

2a. St Kilda Marina is good for a wander around if you wanna checkout what you can buy if you win the lottery (along Beach Rd)

2b.Also there might be something interesting @ Station Pier (where you'll get on/off from id imagine) sometimes warships are in for port and so on with open times, NFI if there will be anything.

3a. Go to Eureaka tower and get a full 360 degree view of the City and go in the box thing that extents out from the building (right @ the top) I think thats about $25.

3b. Sth Bank there are good places to eat also, so you've got a few options for a good feed ~$25-$40 depending if you have a beer/wine or two.

4. Car Wash... i cant think of a decent one east/sth of the CBD, the couple i have used as i live 10mins from the CBD... are all shit. I drive 10mins from my place further out to a decent one in Oakleigh. There might be something better N-NW perhaps others can comment.

5. Get onto the West Gate Bridge and drive over it (and back again), thats near STi Docklands, which is 2kms west of the CBD or there abouts.

That gives you a view of the Yarra and surrounding ports and other things if ya cruise @ 60km/h (its only 80km/h over it).

6. Shopping/Centres in and around the CBD. DFO @ Southern Cross Station (old spencer st station), and the usual Myer/DJ's and associated in and along Bourke St. There is also Australia on Collins, near cnr of Collins/Elizabeth.

7. Get a train ticket ($6.50 or so), Hurstbridge line and a couple of others and checkout the graffiti art, some of it is really amazing some of the pieces

8. Take a general wander through the CBD, there are some great heritage buildings, old melb gaol (nth end of CBD, Russel St) and a few other interesting things like that for some historic type of things

Thats filled 3days, there is lots more things i could go on about believe you me... but people find different things interesting.

There isnt much between Pt Melb and CBD really, only a couple of burbs, most things people have described are ~5kms or so... but its generally reasonable traffic in all those areas on a Sat so it will take you a bit of time

So its sounding like St Kilda is the place to head.

This works out pretty good as its only about 5 klm from where I am picking the car up from and as far as I can tell from trusty old Google Maps is pretty much a straight line, no turns affair to get there. This will also keep the powers that be happy as I can plead stupid lost tourist trying to find the boat if they decide to try and nab me for not taking a direct route to the boat as the permit stipulates.

^ LOL! Chapel street.

After picking up your GTR and wanna race hoons and show off your ride go there...

No don't stay away from it.

Go here = KING Street in Melbourne CBD.

Mens Gallery

Bar 20

Spearmint Rhino

Centre Fold Lounge

Bring money!

lol ill have to agree, either Spearmint Rhino or Mens Gallery. Before you know it time to go back to tassie, might even miss your boat lol :D

Or if your wanting to take to car on a date, depending on the weather stkilda is usually jam packed girls, girls and girls :( just hope the weather is HOT!. Grab a pizza from fitzoy st and park the car near the beach take a few snaps and drive down beach rd.

Anyways good luck let us know how you went. :D

lol ill have to agree, either Spearmint Rhino or Mens Gallery. Before you know it time to go back to tassie, might even miss your boat lol ;)

Or if your wanting to take to car on a date, depending on the weather stkilda is usually jam packed girls, girls and girls :huh: just hope the weather is HOT!. Grab a pizza from fitzoy st and park the car near the beach take a few snaps and drive down beach rd.

Anyways good luck let us know how you went. :down:

+1

Might just do that myself LOL!

you can also stop off at bay st on your way back and grab a gourmet pizza to eat on the way home. I cant remember the name but they have this great tandori chicken with yoghurt thingy pizza. its the bomb. Im sure someone knows what im talking about.

Crust?

The main reason I said stay away from Chapel St is that you are on a permit and the cops down there are ruthless to say the least. You don't wanna go back home without your car!!

Beach road is a very good drive and go along the StKilda beach bike track for a walk and check out all the hotties!