SAU Community

Dr Drift 32 4dr - Another Taxi Wants To Drift

Dr_Drift

The opportunity arose to pick up a 32 4dr ex-drifter stripped car the same time I bought a written off 33... so the maths added up. This happened on the 9th October... The decision was made to attend drift attack at winton only 9 days later... Lack of sleep and some hard work resulted in the mods list and photos below...

Engine:

RB25DET Series 2 - Currently 261 rwkw @ 16 psi!

Exhaust:

Custom 3" Turbo Back

Apexi 3" EVC - Exhaust Valve Controller

3" x 100cm Resonator

5" Straight Pipe from Diff Back

Suspension:

Chopped Springs lol (for now - as it came)

Wheels:

Front Wheels - 17x8 Black DriftTeks

Rear Wheels - 17x9 Works for Drift, 17x9 Drifteks for Grip

Front Tires - Federal 225/45/17 - 595RS

Rear Tires - Peeling/Smoking/Disposable or for grip Federal 255/40/17 - 595RS

Modifications:

RB25DET Series 2 Engine Conversion

RB25DET Gearbox

R33 Engine Crossmember

R33 Gearbox Crossmember

Nismo Engine Mounts

Nismo Gearbox Mount

R33 Radiator

NPC Twin Plate Clutch

R33 Clutch Pedal / Master / Slave

Custom Tailshaft (Suit RB25 Gearbox)

Nismo 1.5 way 4.1 LSD

Modified R33 S2 Wiring Loom - Partially hidden/relocated

Aftermarket Tie Rods

Aftermarket Rod Ends

Adjustable Castor Rods

Cusco Rear Camber Arms

Urethane Sub-Frame Bushes (pineapples) set for traction

Hicas Lock Bar

R33 RB25 Power Steering Pump

R33 Power Steering Reservoir

Custom Boxed in Standard Castor Rod Brackets

Custom Castor Rod Brace (welded in)

Custom Chopped Springs & Unknown Shocks

S13 Steering Rack

Solid Steering Shaft Spacer

Steering Rack Spacers

TD06-20GL2 Chinese Copy (modified exhaust housing with T3 Flange)

XSPower High Mount T3 Ext Gate S/S Manifold

50mm Chinese External Gate

50mm S/S Screamer Pipe

HKS Same Holes Cooler Kit (old design - small core for response)

Custom Cooler piping made from assorted scap and offcuts smile.gif

4" Intake with 4" Pod Filter

Bosch/Nissan Z32 Air Flow Meter

Relocated AFM to Cold Cooler Pipe

Walbro Copy Intank Pump

Chinese Generic Fuel Reg

Momo Steering Wheel

Couple of Gauges

More to Be Advised.

Stereo Audio / Visual:

N/A

Estimated Power:

261 rwkw @ 16 psi

Day 1:

Clean engine bay, remove S13 crossmember, fit R33 crossmember, nismo mounts, dummy fit engine, remove old crap etc....

post-179-1224593068_thumb.jpg

post-179-1224593375_thumb.jpg

Day 2:

Dummy fitted turbo kit, fitted HKS front mount and made 1/2 cooler piping, remove engine, extract replace 4 broken exhaust manifold studs, block off water lines for oil only turbo, fit clutch to engine, fit engine & box, rapt to find that R33 Gearbox crossmember bolts straight onto RB25 box in R32! Also rapt to find that simply swapping the R33 front yoke of tailshaft straight onto R32 tailshaft will bolt straight up!

post-179-1224593642_thumb.jpg

post-179-1224593892_thumb.jpg

DAY 3:

Custom wiring loom finished, oil feed for turbo, custom tailshaft completed, oils & filters, plugs changed, just need fuel lines and oil drain and she's running!

Quiet day on the 32 today, had 4 cars to tune, then went down the beach for a few cans! will have some more progress tomorrow, then exhaust and finish cooler piping monday, hopin to have all finished by wed.

Day 4:

Cooler piping finished using random offcuts and scrap, only need to purchase 1 piece of silicon

Oil feed & Drain fitted to turbo

Wiring loom tidied up and partially hidden / relocated

Fitted 1.5 way Nismo LSD and shafts

Fitted Custom Tailshaft

Fitted 50mm screamer pipe - Venting of course smile.gif

Relocated AFM to cooler pipe

post-179-1224594133_thumb.jpg

post-179-1224594551_thumb.jpg

Day 5:

Exhaust done, snapped drive shaft testing twin plate sad.gif

Ok... so the TD06 works ok.

230 rwkw @ 12 psi (minimum boost) only revving to 6400 rpm as the standard injectors (cranked pressure through fuel reg) and standard afm.... Gate sounds great lol...

Tomorrow - Z32 AFM, more pressure (budget - might buy injectors later), wheel alignment, seat belts, wash it....

post-179-1224592507_thumb.jpg

Day 6:

More wiring done, OMP Bucket and Willans harness fitted, wheels/tires fitted, wheel allignment done...

As far as the power goes it's now difficult to estimate, with the rear work wheels we could only get 3.5deg neg, which makes traction difficult... Fitted a new Z32 air flow meter, turbotech boost controller, set boost to 16 psi and gave it a quick retune...

More fuel was needed, a lot more, so now the base fuel pressure is 70psi! (Not recommended - don't try this at home!)

Also decided a vernier cam gear may be a good idea to dial in some response... Only problem is that with the camber on the back, four straps, and the tires were still PEELING off at 254 rwkw...

PLANS: Primal Garage - Flare the Flared rear guards more, redo wheel allignment with less neg camber (I Hope) and fit the 255 Federal 595 RS to the back and see if we can get a decent power figure for the weekend...

post-179-1224592603_thumb.jpg

post-179-1224592746_thumb.jpg

Day 7:

General tidy up, wash car, flare, flare, flare guards... redo wheel allign with 0 camber on rear :P mmm traction...

Dyno 261 rwkw @ 16 psi

Overall impression so far - I LOVE THE WAY THIS CAR DRIVES!!!!

post-179-1224592796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr_Drift

hmmm , so the turbo is a trust td06 l2-20g copy right? , whats the response like? , i was planning on spilling out the big bucks for a genuine one but i might sit n watch how this thing goes first... Any plans on doing a trip to tassie with it? :rant:

hmmm , so the turbo is a trust td06 l2-20g copy right? , whats the response like? , i was planning on spilling out the big bucks for a genuine one but i might sit n watch how this thing goes first... Any plans on doing a trip to tassie with it? :D

Want to make a few changes, upgrade radiator and maybe some coilovers, and the gearbox is whining after the weekend... Will try and make next day at Basky!

As for the L2, yes it's an EXACT copy... we've completely pulled the turbo apart and put it side by side with a genuine L2 and you CANNOT spot the difference...

Response on the 25 is pretty stupid, and I haven't even hooked up the VCT!! More to be had :D

Pulled the intake pipe off this aftenoon, and with over 1000km now on it (most of it HARD) there is absolutely no signs of wear at all!

I'm negotiating direct with manafacturer to try and get these in a bit cheaper (dodgy exchange rate!) but I'm going to have to order min 10 pcs!

Drop me an e-mail, I'll give you few options... I modified mine to fit on a chinese T3 high mount ext gate manifold, but one of my suppliers also has Trust copy high mount manifolds, and can sort a few different gates etc etc..

I just went in this thing.... an absolute monster!... even with sam's best attempts at keeping traction .... as soon as boost came on he couldnt keep it down.... the response was fenominal! I truely am conidering selling my current setup and getting one of these turbos!

well done mate,

Good work!

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so took the taxi out to calder for the drags... car has been retune to the tune of 305 rwkw!

Best ET was 12.0 @ 122 mph with a 2.6 60' and sever lack of traction!

R32 4 Door Burnout

R32 4DR 122 mph Fly By

Best MPH was 124, best 60' was 1.6 but snapped driveshaft on gear change and rolled just short of 400m

Did a good enough burnout to make the home page of fullboost :P

post-179-1228771259_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771272_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771287_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771300_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771324_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771341_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771356_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771444_thumb.jpg

post-179-1228771458_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

holy smokes! thats is one ridiculous figure for Chinese turbo id say!

is it still going hard or what? can you pm me about the turbo and the setup you have, im very interested as im currently building a track car myself but am on a tight budget.