SAU Community

Changing States With A Personal Import

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if you can change the state of registration of a personal import. My GTR was registered as a personal import in S.A. in 1999 and now we are moving to N.S.W. Are the import laws the same there in regard to personal imports?

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if you can change the state of registration of a personal import. My GTR was registered as a personal import in S.A. in 1999 and now we are moving to N.S.W. Are the import laws the same there in regard to personal imports?

Good news - it can still be registered.

Bad news - each state is different as far as registration requirements goes, so expect that you'll need to get an engineer to sign it off in NSW, and possibly have some other work that needs doing, before you can register it there.

It shouldn't need an engineering sign-off Kristian, unless it's got more than the standard level of modification.

The requirements are here: http://163.189.7.150/registration/getnewre...tevehicles.html

Fairly easy, get a blue slip inspection (doesn't have to be at the RTA, a lot of mechanics/workshops can arrange), take documentation and pay RTA.

Oh ok cool - it's been a while since I've done one into NSW. The general rules for interstate transfers for personal imports are basically the same theory as transferring pre-1989 stuff. A lot of guys in SA get caught out thinking they can buy something pre-89 and just take it for an ID check when it gets here, when in reality it's a pit inspection at Regency.

I still don't understand why the requirements for registration for these vehicles are different from state to state, but oh well...

It shouldn't need an engineering sign-off Kristian, unless it's got more than the standard level of modification.

The requirements are here: http://163.189.7.150/registration/getnewre...tevehicles.html

Fairly easy, get a blue slip inspection (doesn't have to be at the RTA, a lot of mechanics/workshops can arrange), take documentation and pay RTA.

Thanks for your replies. I think personal imports here dont require as much compliance work to be registered as low volume or raws imports. Do you think this would be an issue? i.e im not sure if uprated side intrusion bars ect. had to be fitted when it was complied.

My car has only 3" exhaust, boost & remapped ECU (i dont know how this would affect any emissions testing) and R33 GTR wheels.

post-57101-1224734709_thumb.jpg

It's been my experience that once an imported car has been registered in one state, transferring it to another state is generally the same as any other (i.e. non-imported) vehicle.

That being said, it definitely helps to have copies of all relevant documentation from the importation / initial registration of the car to avoid any hassles along the way.