SAU Community

M35 Servicing

Hi Guys and Girls,

Well its time for me to do a basic service on my M35 ARX and I was just wanting to get an idea of what sort of oil ppl are using with their VQ25DETs and whether M35 owners use the same oil for Auto/4WD/Diff as with the C34.

I was thinking of using a Castrol Edge 5W-30 engine oil along with Castrol SAF-XA 75W140 for the diffs and Castrol Transmax Z for auto/4WD (as suggested in stagea parts list for C34)?

Does anybody use anything different from this and why?

Also what do other people do for filters? Buy nissan or buy aftermarket?

Thanks very much,

Brendan

Hi Guys and Girls,

Well its time for me to do a basic service on my M35 ARX and I was just wanting to get an idea of what sort of oil ppl are using with their VQ25DETs and whether M35 owners use the same oil for Auto/4WD/Diff as with the C34.

I was thinking of using a Castrol Edge 5W-30 engine oil along with Castrol SAF-XA 75W140 for the diffs and Castrol Transmax Z for auto/4WD (as suggested in stagea parts list for C34)?

Thanks very much,

Brendan

I am using Castrol Edge 5W - 30 in my C34 and aftermarket filters - high flow Pipercross in my airbox. (Also non Nissan synthetic ATF in my auto, steering and Atessa).

Hi Guys and Girls,

Thanks very much,

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I use Motul Chrono 300v oil.

I ONLY use synthetic oil and have tried a few - Valvoline, Amsoil, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 (Supersynth), Motul 8100, Penrite Syn, Royal Purple...

I use the 300v because the car runs much smoother than the others (all have been 40 weight - except maybe the Syn), the engine seems livelier and just runs much better. I normally use the Motul engine clean every 20,000kms, but last time I used Amsoil's one.

From personal experience alone I would recommend the 300v or the Royal Purple.

Also from personal experience I would pass on the 8100, Syn and Edge.

The 8100 in particular left a lot of crap behind :P

I change oil every 10,000kms. It really is not necessary to change any more frequently than that if you use a fully synthetic oil.

I usually use the Pitworks oil filter (same as the Xtrail filter) but at my last change I decided to try the Amsoil filter. It is a much larger unit and uses Nanomolecular strands to filter instead of paper (they also do a Nano air filter which I will try soon). To be honest, I have not noticed a difference.

I have had Nissan perform a full service on my transmission, so the fluid they use with the addition of some kind of "satchel" (which Nissan are putting in all Auto boxes for all new cars... No I don't know what is in it).

I don't know if it was the service, but the gears are much better, smoother whilst driving and much quicker changes :D

Hope that helps.

Thanks ppl for the replies,

iamhe77,

Thanks for the tip with the oil and the filters, I appreciate the tip and will definitely give the Motul a shot.

Was your transmission running badly before you had it serviced? Its just that my transmission changes really smoothly and quite quickly ( about 500rpm increase at full throttle before changing, is that quick for an one of these cars?).

Thanks very much for the info again ppl :D

Brendan

Thanks ppl for the replies,

iamhe77,

Thanks for the tip with the oil and the filters, I appreciate the tip and will definitely give the Motul a shot.

Was your transmission running badly before you had it serviced? Its just that my transmission changes really smoothly and quite quickly ( about 500rpm increase at full throttle before changing, is that quick for an one of these cars?).

Thanks very much for the info again ppl :D

Brendan

No, my transmission was not running badly. It did have smooth changes and changed the same as it seems yours does while in "D".

It is just that with the service and whatever is in that satchel, the transmission in that much smoother and quicker to change. I have not really played around with the tiptronic though.

If you are happy with how your trans is shifting, then why are you looking at changing the fluids? Nissan actually don't change transmission fluids anymore as part of normal servicing.

Like I said though, they are putting this satchel in all new automatic vehicles to increase performance on reliability. I do know that it manufactured in the US and Nissan have purchased exclusive rights to it.

I do not care if it is a satchel of bull sperm. It has improved a transmission that had nothing wrong with it in the first place. The reason I got it serviced was because it was dropping power momentarily when cruising & I wanted to rule out the trans.

Glad to be of help.

Yeah I am quite happy the way the transmission feels atm, just thought that I should change the trans oil as my first service of the car in Aus. Perhaps i'll put it off for a while then, but will definitely keep in mind the top secret nissan satchel for when the time comes :(

Thanks again for the advice

Brendan