SAU Community

Aiming For 280 Rwkw

MissTara

I remember someone I trust telling me that an RB in an S13 weighs about as much as an RB in an R32 GTST .

Your call but the R32 is going to have better suspension and an RB six out of the box , hoiking an RB20 for an RB25 has to be a heap simpler than an SR20 for an RB25 .

Your call but I'd reckon everything about an R32 is going to be cheaper than a 180SX in the long run .

It depends on what you like the look of I suppose , I'd go for the functionality personally .

If you must stay with an S13 you could look into better fours for the purpose ie a KA24DE and turbocharge that .

They are long in the stroke compared to an RB six but they make great mid range torque - particularly with a turbocharger . The US has RWD manifolds for them because they had USDM 240SX's with the KA24DE engine std .

We got a DOHC RWD version of in in Aus spec Navara 2.4's . They are 8.6 to 1 CR std so reasonable for a cheap conversion + local compliance .

Luckily the KA24 has the full circle bellhousing pattern which I think is the same as an SR20 so they probably fall into an S13 , they obviously did into USDM S13's and S14's .

The Navaras have a V6 version as well and with a bit of mucking around with bellhousings you could possibly get an RB25DET sized gearbox into your S13 .

JWT (Jim Wolf Technology) in the US do cams/manifolds/pistons/cracked flashed ECU's etc etc for KA24E (SOHC) and KA24DE (DOHC 16v) engines . From memory injectors are the exact same side feeds as R33 RB25DET's so I'm pretty sure the Nismo's etc fall in .

It won't rev like an RB25 or an SR20 but if you can make killer mid range torque with four large cylinders who cares ?

Very lastly , they use an iron block so no need to screw around with liners like in an SR20 . Can't remember about fitting piston oil squiters - you'd have to got to the US sites for that info .

Four cylinder car with four cylinder engine , it's what I'd do in an S13 .

A.

now this is what im talking about, thankyou so much people. main reason of going down the RB path is i already know quite alot about it and also have an RB25 in my 33. Im sure with a good suspension setup you can overcome the engine weights. ive already said im not interested in an SR, i know it would be more practical but i like the RB25 so im going to stick with it. It's was either going to be a 25 or 2J, but i dont have the skills myself to do a 2J conversion, as like doing everything myself. Thaks for all the replys, helping me get an idea of each components power range/output. Good stuff.

280 rwkw is a tricky figure. Is there a reason why you have selected 280 rwkw as opposed to 250rwkw or 300 rwkw?

The reason I ask is while it is definitely possible to make more than 250 rwkw on a stock motor (I've done it as have numerous other forum members), I would not want to do it for an extended period of time on a stock motor for reliability purposes.

280rwkw is tricky because it is more than I'd be comfortable running on the stock motor and probably not quite enough to justify building a motor. E.g. if I was going to build a motor, I'd whack a slightly bigger turbo on and aim for 300+.

If you tune the car to run on E85 (high octane), you should be able to get 280 rwkw using a highflow rb25 turbo with the larger OP6 rear housing from the VG30 turbo.

A car that I helped build managed more than 280 rwkw with the highflow I mentioned using tolulene added to standard 98 BP ultimate. E85 should be able to produce even more power.

cheers for the info manwhore, lol.. well, basically i just came up with a number in my head. A mate has a 250kw RB25 in his S13, i liked the torque, took it for a drive and loved the way it felt over the SR. so i just thought it'd have to be a little better, but if 250kw is a better approach than im sure that will be fine. Yeah i wasnt really interested in building the engine for that power output, but i guess its the chance we take when pushing the limits. So if it lasts long enough on 250-280kw then im sure a couple years down the track id look at rebuilding. and im sure if i spend the extra cash and get a great tune from a well know tuner then it would be well worth it.

try the gt3071 500hp garrett turbo with a/r.63 internal wastegate from gcg turbos in sydney. good for up to 280rwkws . see diagram. other supporting mods set of tomei pon cams 252degrees inlet and exhaust with 8.5mm lift. 550cc/min injectors bosche 044 fuel pump. large 600x300x80mm front mount intercooler. stock pipeing to plenum. 3inch turbo back exhaust. link plus ecu.

post-6176-1225420711_thumb.jpg

post-6176-1225420933_thumb.jpg

if you want a bit more response maybe look at a GT2871R-10 (GT-RS equiv) or more room for later improvement maybe a GT3071R (ive only got my head round the Garrett and HKS ranges so cant comment on other brands)

from what you can see, support mods are prettymuch a known quantity.

turbo choice is the really hard part

i would go for a 2835 pro s...

its what i'm running and is just unbeleivable....

i have 265rwkw (creatd dyno) with an exhaust cam gear to bring the powerband down for response... so its a possible 275rwkw'ish (some have up to 285rwkw on PULP) but as i said... response... i'm gonna go e85 as soon as i get datalogit and aim for 300rwkw

full boost from just below 3500 all the way to the 7400 redline. that's 4000 revs of full boost in every gear.

if i choose i can fry the tyres from 0 till its off the clock... just need to flatshift... and with a 4k powerband that's easy as!

with cams and the exact same setup bombtrack has 275rwkw but his boost hits about 700 rpm later... so its a little bit less of a powerband but still WAAAAY acceptable.

car is also running:

nismo 555 injectors

nismo fuel pump

z32 afm

apexi super induction pod in cold air box with 2.5" cold air pipe

hybrid fmic

power fc

blitz dsbc spec s ebc

unknown clutch... but its holding up to numerous 6k sidesteps (free score from japan :ninja: )

3" zorst with decat pipe

+ a well sorted suspension setup.

This sounds very similar to the OP6 highflow setup I referred to above (power and response).

The car honestly scared the bejezus out of me the first time I drove it after tuning. It was that responsive that it felt like a standard turbo. In the dry with 255 rear tyres, it was like going for a skid in the wet :ninja:

The car was tuned with a bit of toluene added so it made more power and torque than other cars running this turbo with standard 98 octane. E85 should be even better again.

i would go for a 2835 pro s...

its what i'm running and is just unbeleivable....

i have 265rwkw (creatd dyno) with an exhaust cam gear to bring the powerband down for response... so its a possible 275rwkw'ish (some have up to 285rwkw on PULP) but as i said... response... i'm gonna go e85 as soon as i get datalogit and aim for 300rwkw

full boost from just below 3500 all the way to the 7400 redline. that's 4000 revs of full boost in every gear.

if i choose i can fry the tyres from 0 till its off the clock... just need to flatshift... and with a 4k powerband that's easy as!

with cams and the exact same setup bombtrack has 275rwkw but his boost hits about 700 rpm later... so its a little bit less of a powerband but still WAAAAY acceptable.

car is also running:

nismo 555 injectors

nismo fuel pump

z32 afm

apexi super induction pod in cold air box with 2.5" cold air pipe

hybrid fmic

power fc

blitz dsbc spec s ebc

unknown clutch... but its holding up to numerous 6k sidesteps (free score from japan :laugh: )

3" zorst with decat pipe

+ a well sorted suspension setup.

ima get killed for saying this but

either keep the SR...280 is quite realistic with some good bolt ons...good torque etc etc.

or

2jz...put it in and you'll be laughing. i honestly wouldn't bother with a RB25

:(

zomg did he just say that.,