SAU Community

Low Idle

I was driving my car this morning and when I pulled up at the lights it suddenly cut out, after watching the rev's whilst the car was idle I noticed they dropped down to a little over 500 rpm (before they sat at around 1100 rpm).

I read this post http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/No...amp;hl=low+idle and will take a look this afternoon after work to see if that fixes the problem.

Would anyone have any other idea's of what this could be and if it is something I fix myself, baring in mind I am not a mechanic but I am mechanically & technically minded.

Could a faulty fuel pump or old ignition coils be doing this? (when I bought the car it was pretty much stock and I have a feeling that most parts are original)

can all be fixed with some cabry cleaner, screw driver and a rag.

I had this issue to...

first off... idle should be around 750-850.

at the back of the plenum ( the big silver thing on the drivers side of the motor) there is the aac valve. it is the little valve that allows a small amount of air to be sucked into your engine while your idle ( or else your motor would constantly splutter and stall at the lights) on the side of it there is a phillips head screw... turn it a few times one way, notice if your revs are going up or down, or not doing anything. adjust it until your hearts desire.

if this doesnt fix it the next option is to take it off and give it a clean. as it is at the back of the plenum it gets a charcol carbon build up over many years making it dirty and unable to suck in the correct amount of air on idle as it used to.

disconnect all the hoses and unscrew the 3 bolts and be careful not to damage the gasket.... then remove. for more details on how to take it off and clean... look here -> Aac valve cleaning one more thing... clean it with carby cleaner... stronger then degs, work much better for this stuff...

Hope this helps.

Adam

Thanks for all your reply's it looks like cleaning the injectors and using a screw driver to adjust the acc valve worked now my car seems to idle around 700-800 rpm. Thanks for the link WYTSKY I think I will take it off and give it a good clean too.

:D

Edited by Nimmo

• 1 month later...