SAU Community

Do I Need To Change My Timing Belt?

Owned the car for a while now - noticed it hasn't got the 100,000km timing belt sticker though. Upon buying the car the bloke told me it had been done it Japan.

Decided I would change it anyway, though now that I have pulled the cover off it looks to be in good condition. Can see the marker line and the cogs look fine - don't resemble the wear sign drawings in the workshop manual.

Also noticed there is a bit of gasket glue around the waterpump.

Based on this info is it reasonable to conclude the belt has already been replaced? I'm not looking forward to getting that crank bolt off (what size socket is it by the way?) and lining up the new belt having never done it before.

Are there any other belt wear indicators I haven't mentioned that I should look out for?

Edited by neergnevets

Owned the car for a while now - noticed it hasn't got the 100,000km timing belt sticker though. Upon buying the car the bloke told me it had been done it Japan.

Decided I would change it anyway, though now that I have pulled the cover off it looks to be in good condition. Can see the marker line and the cogs look fine - don't resemble the wear sign drawings in the workshop manual.

Also noticed there is a bit of gasket glue around the waterpump.

Based on this info is it reasonable to conclude the belt has already been replaced? I'm not looking forward to getting that crank bolt off (what size socket is it by the way?) and lining up the new belt having never done it before.

Are there any other belt wear indicators I haven't mentioned that I should look out for?

I don't know if your timing belt needs replacing but here is a tutorial:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ca...m-B-t73824.html

Mate for what they are worth I'd replace it either way. Its the first thing I'd look at doing when buying an import around 100,00km regardless of what you have been told. Just do it to be safe and for the peace of mind.

Doubt that anyone is going to say don't change the belt because the consequences of a snapped belt can be horrific. The gasket goo on the pump probably means that the pump has been changed but doesn't really indicate anything about the belt other than its been taken off at some stage.

Guess it really boils down to; How many km's you've done in the car and how comfortable you feel about it. You could just change the belt and leave the pump as it is especially if you don't mind doing the work yourself. If your going to pay to have it done then get the pump done as well.

From memory the crank bolt is 24mm but I'm sure the tutorial can verify that.