SAU Community

Hwp Nightmare

gt-ahhh!

hi all, after recently being harassed by my friendly local hwp officer, and listening to some hoo hah about how modified cars make baby jesus cry, it seems i have maybe 2 weeks to do something about my atmo bov and pod filter. or risk being headhunted further.

atmo bovs may be illegal, despite them sounding awesome, but what i need to know is what i can do about it exactly. the car is pretty heavily modified as you will see from the photos, and im pretty sure i cant get away with a stock bov (as if it could handle 18psi anyway). so what options do i have?

post-40626-1225513538_thumb.jpg

post-40626-1225513552_thumb.jpg

- use hose fittings to plumb a hose from the bov back into the intake somewhere? will that make it much quieter? the horn section unscrews, and i think id be able to screw in a hose fitting fairly easily.

- block it off? i expect this defeats the purpose of a bov completely.

- replace with some kind of aftermarket plumb back bov?

also, will a black plastic enclosure around the pod filter keep the nathan rees and co. at bay?

thanks guys

ps: no i dont deserve to be harassed, i only have one speeding fine on my record and even that was highly dubious and the police offered me a reduction to <15kmh in court.

im taking the punt and attempting to fabricate a cover for both the pod and the bov, looking for black plastic so it looks factory-ish. im going to paint the bov black, so even if you look really hard you wont be able to make anything out under the cover.

would they defect me just by hearing the noise? even if they couldnt find the damn thing in the engine bay? (obviously i take care not to blast it whenever i get a whiff of porky pig in the air)

i guess i can plumb it back, its just a bit of a hassle, and i love bov.

You can make your own like mine, hopefully mines all good :D

Even with my factory bov, it sounds like I have an aftermarket one because it goes back through the pod and makes the noise.

So dont know if they can just for the noise...it'll make them look though :D

Im thinking of painting my airbox black so it looks like it would fit in.. haha

jsai does n off the shelf type air box not too expensive.Ive got one on my gtr n when i was gettin defected the coppas smile soon went from big to non existant when they lifted my bonnet.I got 2 pods n a blow off valve lol coppas they should be chasing real crims

jsai does n off the shelf type air box not too expensive.Ive got one on my gtr n when i was gettin defected the coppas smile soon went from big to non existant when they lifted my bonnet.I got 2 pods n a blow off valve lol coppas they should be chasing real crims

yeh trouble is, my intake setup is rather unique. theres custom piping out of the turbo, and the bov is right next to the afm etc. i will have to fabricate something unfortunately.

i look forward to their disappointment. my mate suggested putting a cover on the whole engine bay! i wonder how that would go down... assuming youd maintain adequate ventilation.

yeh trouble is, my intake setup is rather unique. theres custom piping out of the turbo, and the bov is right next to the afm etc. i will have to fabricate something unfortunately.

i look forward to their disappointment. my mate suggested putting a cover on the whole engine bay! i wonder how that would go down... assuming youd maintain adequate ventilation.

I've often thought of doing the exact same thing... Or at least making an "engine" cover up that spanned out across the engine bay... Couldn't do shit then...

As far as I'm aware your best off making your pod cover out of aliminium. as it works well as a heat shield from the engine heat. Colder the air the better.

That's what I did with mine anyway.