SAU Community

Steps For Getting Car On The Road?

Hi All,

My R34 GT-T finally hits canberra after 4 months next week. Im totally new to this so Im not sure what has to be done. It's been complied and has plates. I know the next step is to get a roadworthy certificate and then take that to Dickson to get it registered. Not sure if anyone's done this before but it's being taken to Toll Autologistics in Queanbeyan. My questions are:

1) Does anyone know anything about Toll Autologistics? Do i have to pick it up on the day it comes or can it be safely stored until I have the time to grab it. Workng the 9-5 sucks for sure

2) Where would be the best place to get a roadworthy certificate? I read in the forum that Paul White Automotive in Gungahlin would be a good options. I live in Gunghalin so this would be great

3) What are the general costs of a roadworthy test and for rego?

4) Lastly, do the plates that were put in compliance allow it to be driven around or with restrictions?

Thanks all!

Hey Snoopy, welcome to the Skyline family. Give Ray Spence at Canberra Motor Works a call on (02) 6241 8777. He does engineering, not sure if he's still doing compliencing but I'm sure he'll be able to answer your questions.

Welcome! at least you didn't get a 32! :D

1. Dont know anything about Toll Autologistics. Best to call them yourself and ask....

2. Not sure about north side but i recently got a rego inspection at Layon Service Centre and so have some other guys. All said good things and i would recommend them too. Just dont act like your a know-all and he'll look after you! DO NOT take your car to Dickson as they will f*ck you around and cause you headaches. Many people on here will vouch for that...

3. He charged me $52 for rego inspection. Rego itself will be about $190 for 3 months (approx $600 for a year!). They also charge you a once off "administration fee" of $70 which covers your new number plates.

4. The compliance plates DO NOT allow you to drive the car anywhere. They simply say that your car has been complied to ADR's which allows you to have the car rego'd for Australian roads. In order to drive it, you must go to an ACT Shopfront and get a one-day permit for the vehicle so you can drive it to have it inspected. However this only covers you in the ACT and as your car will be in NSW, you must go to a Shopfront in NSW and get a one-day permit for NSW too! Or you can simply have it towed to the inspection place.

Hope this helps....

Toll Autologistics..........isn't that just a fancy name for the Toll car transport trucking arm of Toll Holdings??? If it is, then expect your car jack and other stuff to be stolen. I had to send a vehicle using Toll and when it got to it's destination, somebody had stolen the jack, the toolkit, the jack winder, and the cigarette lighter knob. Not impressed.

You have to keep pestering Toll, they will not tell you that your car is there for weeks if at all, they just park it in the yard and forget it mostly. I wouldn't leave it there any longer than a millisecond longer than I have to.........imagine a trucking yard with your car parked up the back of it, dust, sun, diesel etc etc

A compliance plate is a small tag pop rivetted to your firewall in the engine bay to say it has met australian design rule standards, it is not a rego plate.

You can get a 7 day permit to drive it around, but the best bet is to take it to the nearest garage and get a roadworthy. You are legally allowed to drive it to the garage, get the roadworthy and then drive it to the registery or home, one way and no stopping. Even if they knock you back on the blueslip, you can drive it home still. But I'd talk to the RTA and/or ACT shopfront about it, they will tell you what you can and cannot do. But I'm sure that if you have a blueslip or knockback, you can drive it straight home.

Welcome! at least you didn't get a 32! :P

X2 :laugh::down:

I thought that if you had a freshly complied vehicle than you had to take it to dickson for it's first rego inspection...? I might be wrong though.....

If it was me I'd defenetly try to take it elsewhere

I've been told that the best way to ensure you get your car in the same condition as it was loaded onto the Toll truck is to organise to have someone you trust (or the importer?) padlock or combination lock the vehicle inside it's Toll container when it gets shipped, and have the keys express posted to you before the car arrives, that way you get to unlock it yourself when it arrives.

I can think of plenty of things wrong with this idea but I thought I'd post it up all the same. If you go with that idea then perhaps use a combination lock, that way there's no keys to get lost in the mail.

I'm under the impression that all imports had to go to Dickson for a roadworthy? (Unless you're getting it registered in NSW?)

If it's modified then chances are you'll need an engineer's certificate before you take it over rego. Ray Spence at Canberra Motor Works in Mitchell is my suggestion for that.

And yeah compliance plates don't mean you're allowed to drive it if it's not registered. You'll still need roadworthy & rego or a permit. If it's being shipped to Queanbeyan then I'm pretty sure that *technically* you'll need 2 permits. 1 for driving it in NSW and 1 for driving it in ACT.

you only have to go over dickson if you car is modified.. ie coilovers, aftermarket turboes, front mount etc. in which case you will need to get a engineers certificate and then go over dickson.

exhausts are usually fine unless they are too loud. if this in the case with your exhaust the belconnen exhaust centre can cut the cannon off and put a pea shooter on the end for about $250 or something, they put flanges so that you can swap the cannon back yourself after you get the car registered. ZCR and myself did this and i recommend it as dickson didnt even look at my exhaust when they saw the tiny pea shooter on the end, they didnt bother doing a dB check either

Hi all,

Sorry for that late reply, have had a flat out week.

I called Paul White Automotive and they said since its a new import i'll need to get an identity check or something. So i've booked in a Roadworthy test for a New Import next week at Dickson.

I looked into Toll Autologistics and it's actually called Autotrans Vehicle Transport - http://www.autotrans.com.au/

It looks pretty decent. Well I hope it is because I'll prob have to keep it there for one night as I only have one day free durring the week to get it.

In regards to the permit, looking at the map Autotrans is right on the border. I don't know if it's worth getting a NSW permit just to get accross the one road to get into ACT.

The car is totally stock except for the 17" Volk Racing Wheel rims and CD player. I'm totally new to this so i've attached some pics of it from when it was stil in Japan. Can anyone see anythin that it would get caught out on for the RW?

post-47432-1226106729_thumb.jpg

post-47432-1226106760_thumb.jpg

post-47432-1226107075_thumb.jpg

if the car stock you shouldn't have a problem at dickson. the only thing i would check is that your spare wheel has a little sticker on it rating the wheel/tyre to 80 kph. i know that some guys on here have been caught on that before....

btw: car looks nice....