SAU Community

Toch Screen Overlays?

BJV

Hey has anyone had any experience making a normal screen into a touch screen for a car PC? I've seen 7 inch overlays for sale on sites like mp3car.com but the problem I'm having is size.

I want to mount the screen on the dash basically in the same spot the r34 GTR has it's screen but I want to keep the overall height of the unit as close to the height of the speedo cluster as possibe because I've been told that aftermarket gauges or anything else like that are okay as long as they aren't mounted any higher than the top of the speedo cluster. So that gives me about 9 - 9.5 cm max heaight for a screem.

I've found a screen that is the right size but isn't a touch screen so I was hopeing to get it converted into one somehow.

Another option I looked at was buying a 7 inch touch screen unit and hacking it up and making my own enclosure for it because the screen by itself is the right size but when you take the size of the plastic cases they come in they end up being to tall.

Any ideas guys?

have you found where to get one of those GTR style screen enclosures? I've been wondering where i might get one from for a similar project.

A few others have attached a EEPC 7" touch screen overaly, apparently you can pick them up for around $70 not too sure where from though, but you might be a bit more determined to search the net than i am at the moment,

EDIT: found them http://search.ebay.co.uk/touch-screen-7-asus-eee

Edited by Vasili

Actually mate I have seen the enclosures for sale on the yahoo japan auctions.

If you check out http://www.slidewizeimports.com/ and search for r34 interior trim there'll usually be some enclosures for sale.

Getting anything in 7inch is no problem at all but I need something smaller than that. I really need something that the overall height is around the 9 cm mark.

9cm isn't very big.. it'd have to be a wiiidescreen 7".. the 7" touchscreen I have for my carpc, the screen itself is well over 9cm tall! I have a single din, non motorised item - couldn't be assed grafting things into the dash and I can put it away when I don't want it out :P

Edited by bubba

I'd recommend buying a 7" and dismantling it. I think this would be more reliable than an overlay.

Yeah I was thinking that might be they way to go in the end. Unfortunately my electronics skills are a bit poor to hack up a $500 + screen.

This screen would probably be my pick in the end http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700TSV_7_TF...r_p/mon-004.htm

The height of the screen is 92.5mm which be a good size. Have you ever pulled one apart Trav?

Also bit of topic but does anyone know how I can fix the topic so it says "touch" screen not "toch"? Damn night shift is taking it's toll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...