SAU Community

No Launch Control For Aus Gtr's

Gibbo_R35

Rubbish!

Lets ignore LC for now. Ever been in an non TC car on grass and floored it? What happens? The wheels spin at a zillion miles an hour. What happens when you come off of the grass and back onto the road? There is a massive load as those high spinning wheels re-grip. If the car had TC on however you'd never had got those huge spinning wheels on the grass and then no massive load when you grip back up. And how about going from a wet surface to a dry one?

Now back to LC. Who says that feature that is being used as LC was actually meant to be that? It's not in any manuals I've seen or heard about. It may just be a lower rpm rev cut due to the fact the car is stationary and consequently not getting any cooling. And people are just mis-using this feature to create a type of LC. I dunno. Either way like the above situations it puts pressures on drive-trains that wouldn't occur had VDC been switched on.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.......after this whole thread, why dont more people run out and get JDM ones?

Its not like they're not available. You also get a definate price and definate delivery price (eg, pay now, take it home straight away). Except in case of being concerned and requiring warranty, finance not being approved for low volume imports etc

Nissan, thankfully for current GTR owners like myself just waiting for the prices to fall a bit, are leaving it quite late to get on the compliance bandwagon

So nissan dont want you machining the discs? Ouch. Thats going to hurt the old wallet at service time

DOT4 only for brake fluid?!

Hill start assist is a nice touch though, Subaru Liberties have had that for a while

So.......after this whole thread, why dont more people run out and get JDM ones?

Its not like they're not available. You also get a definate price and definate delivery price (eg, pay now, take it home straight away). Except in case of being concerned and requiring warranty, finance not being approved for low volume imports etc

Nissan, thankfully for current GTR owners like myself just waiting for the prices to fall a bit, are leaving it quite late to get on the compliance bandwagon

It could have something to do with the souring exchange rate bumping the price of the JDM ones up by about $40K. It's actually cheaper to get one from Nissan.

Edited by Iron Chef

I'm going to guesstimate that those who are using them as road cars are going to want a warranty and dealer support if they're putting down $150K. Maybe they've never been to a Nissan stealership, and realised how little you're actually getting from them. :D

People who are able to pay the asking price, and then modify / race them, pretty much already have done so.

I dunno about that. Nissan didn't have them ready for local sale when the Aussie dollar was doing a roaring trade against the Yen, which would have been the perfect time to bring in a car this expensive. I'm not sure if they're "leaving it late", or just procrastinating because they're lazy, or some other reason.

It could have something to do with the souring exchange rate bumping the price of the JDM ones up by about $40K. It's actually cheaper to get one from Nissan.

I agree with your point about the exchange rate, but as far as buying them from Nissan, we'll have to see what they end up coming in at :)

I'm going to guesstimate that those who are using them as road cars are going to want a warranty and dealer support if they're putting down $150K. Maybe they've never been to a Nissan stealership, and realised how little you're actually getting from them. :blink:

People who are able to pay the asking price, and then modify / race them, pretty much already have done so.

I dunno about that. Nissan didn't have them ready for local sale when the Aussie dollar was doing a roaring trade against the Yen, which would have been the perfect time to bring in a car this expensive. I'm not sure if they're "leaving it late", or just procrastinating because they're lazy, or some other reason.

Leaving it late is leaving it late mate, my fingers are crossed they miss the boat, so to speak :D

I suspect if they're announcing on-road prices, they would've been smart enough to lock in exchange rates and purchased their yen back when the dollar was strong. If they didn't, they'll be losing on every GT-R they sell if the RRP doesn't change.

But yes, Nissan haven't left much of a gap in their 18-month window before used ones become eligible...

Edited by Iron Chef

well the R35 that I have coming was paid for earlier this year, so even though it's only being imported now, it will be sold at effectively the old rate, so some lucky person will get to capitalise on the fact that we bought the yen to pay for it months ago. if it was being paid for now I'd say it would cost over $220K. I think most importers will do the same as me if they can and do the right thnig and sell them at the 'old rate' as it won't be viable any other way.

A question to you guys that know importing better than i do, what would be the latest nissan could start the compliance approval proceedings and get it done in time?

I know compliance is taking ages currently, but lets say for argument sake, that compliance are at their usual pace of work :ninja:

Good fortune has indeed smiled on you, my friend - I envy the lucky bugger who buys it off you!

so do I! in the meantime all I can do is look longingly at the keys for it dangling off my key hook. :)

Officially neither does the EVO X SST nor the DSG VW's - but all of them if you know the right button sequences will activate the Launch Control. This will not be mentioned in ANY of the operating manuals by any of those companies but that doesn't mean that it isnt there - it is just not listed as "a standard feature" and they will refuse to admit its existence.

But as I already mentioned they state that "The use & descriptions of this type of procedure being outlined in the testing and reviews is not endorsed by Nissan" which means it will still be there. And they also state that turning the VDC off will void your warranty so therefore should you do it and break the car its your problem.

Put simply if they say the car doesn't have launch control (or should I say not reference that it does have it) they don't have to then say "it has launch control but you can't use it".

I am almost certain that there is instructions in my DSG golf on how to use the launch control, or some form of it. I will try remember to get a picture of it tonight.

So nissan dont want you machining the discs? Ouch. Thats going to hurt the old wallet at service time

DOT4 only for brake fluid?!

Hill start assist is a nice touch though, Subaru Liberties have had that for a while

That's a standard function for DSG's - the clutches take up when you get off the brake.

• 4 weeks later...
Fair enough, my arguement still stands, IF Nissan had released a manual gearbox, i dont think there would have been many issues. Alright maybe blowing the clutch at most due to improper bedding etc, but Nissan would bed it before anyhow. Sure it maybe a few 10ths slower but it would still have a manual, which would be lighter then the heavy auto, cheaper to replace, and be more interactive and fun to drive.

But hey, thats just my 2c

Whats so good about a manual gearbox??? This has all the benefits of a manual plus the benefits of an automatic (without the drawbacks ie. torque convertor). Do you really miss having a clutch that much? Did you only just get your licence and using a clutch is still a novelty to you?

i think one of the reasons the GT-R is so quick is because of the box, think about how many gear changes you would have, say at the nurburgring, (i think around 70) and how much quicker those paddle shifts are relative to manually changing. There would be a tenth or two advantage in every gearchange. It all adds up i reckon..