SAU Community

Gday,

I just ran in my new Kaaz 1.5 way diff doing the figure 8 thing for 30 mins. Jeez i copped some strange looks while i was doing it in a car park.

Anyway, the clunk noises have become considerably less after the run in procedure, but the diff still makes noises (clunk, clunk) sometimes when turning a tight corner. Is this normal? Im hoping the noises will disappear completely after i change the run in oil. Should i change the run in oil to new Kaaz gear oil immediately after the run in procedure, or should i drive around a bit before i put new oil in?

Thanks for any help.

Shaun.

bud how do you rate the 1.5 kaz dif? im kinda in the market for one hey - is it sexy?? :laugh:

I reckon my paintjob on the diff housing is sexy; dunno about the diff itself though. I havent given it much stick yet because ive only just run it in and still have the old oil in it. They reckon if the clutch packs see too much torque during the run in period, they can bed in at an angle and result in less than perfect operation. I hope the noises go though. It did seem predictable when i was doing tight figure 8's and sliding a bit.

Shaun.

post-11456-1226561627_thumb.jpg

yes it will always go clunk clunk,no matter what you do.ive got a 2way kaaz in mine even worse,but i hardly ever drive my 32 on the street.

Did you do the run in procedure figure 8 thing like it said in the book??

Feels like the whole rear cradle falls off when it clunks.

Shaun.

Changed the oil today with new Kaaz gear oil and went for a good run to Brooklyn along the Pacific Hwy. Its getting quieter all the time and only clunks every now and then. Im happy with the diff, but fcuk it pushes you to understeer out of corners. I wasnt prepared for it a few times, but getting used to it now; nice and predictable. Is this (understeer) what mechanical diffs do or am i just a sh1t driver?!

Shaun.

Did you do the run in procedure figure 8 thing like it said in the book??

Feels like the whole rear cradle falls off when it clunks.

Shaun.

don't stress too much. most mech LSDs are a bit like that. my nismo 2 way is like that in the S13. its worse if you have good tyres (as they don't break traction as easily). in tight turns the whole rear end clunks and kind of shimmys a bit and yes it sounds and feels like the whole cradle is about to break off! but it's quite normal. :banana:

Changed the oil today with new Kaaz gear oil and went for a good run to Brooklyn along the Pacific Hwy. Its getting quieter all the time and only clunks every now and then. Im happy with the diff, but fcuk it pushes you to understeer out of corners. I wasnt prepared for it a few times, but getting used to it now; nice and predictable. Is this (understeer) what mechanical diffs do or am i just a sh1t driver?!

Shaun.

the understeer thing is normal too. especially when you are exiting slow corners and the engine is not in it's power band,. not enough power to get the rear sliding, but enough to lock the diff so of course it tried to push you wide. it happens a lot with the 2 way too. you will get used to it though as adjust as needed.

the understeer thing is normal too. especially when you are exiting slow corners and the engine is not in it's power band,. not enough power to get the rear sliding, but enough to lock the diff so of course it tried to push you wide. it happens a lot with the 2 way too. you will get used to it though as adjust as needed.

Yeah, i kinda like it. Makes it feel a bit like a race car. It feels really predictable which is good; i never knew what the standard one was going to do.

Cheers,

Shaun.

that is one of the big benefits of a good mech LSD. it behaves the same way under the same circumstances, so you know what's coming! stock LSDs are rubbish. people say 'well i shimmed it up and it's great' but I can tell you now no one who has drive with a proper LSD would ever say that. even the shimmed up viscous LSDs are still complete pants!

especially with decent power LSD is a must. :banana:

I have the Cusco RS that has springs in it that damp the clunking a bit... still makes some noise tho but you can keep it quiet by staying off the throttle when you have lots of lock on the wheel... just kind of coast round corners... when driving quickly it pays to be a bit more aggressive than you would with the vlsd, takes some time to adjust but it amazed me how much more grip a good mech diff gives... 2 ways aren't as scary as people suggest either

Hey Shaun,

It'll always clunk mate, but add a bit of Penrite LIMSLIP and it should quieten it a bit. Worked really well with my old lsd.

Cheers,

J

I used to use that oil for the cusco rs 2-way and it works quite well, but then I tryed the Sin 75w90 sythetic penrite lsd oil and my god it settled down heaps, though I wouldn't use synthetic for a run in oil.

The clunks will never go away completely but the right oil will settle them down dramatically.

passengers are constantly telling me my car is broken...

i have a 2 way and it clunks under acceleration and braking so if you go thru a corner without accell or decel it will not clunk at all. but it is a fine balance.

I am going to pull it apart and redo the shims and put the penrite stuff back in as it seemed to be the best,