SAU Community

Im very sad to report, after taking a wrong tern today I found myself going down a one way road. I wasn't really paying much attention to be honest and came to a right angle corner. Due to the lack of concentration (like I said) I came into the corner too to quickly. Combination of this wheels, speed and turning too quickly caused my front wheels to break traction. No amount of brake pumping (which is pretty quick considering im a drummer) could stop me from hitting the gutter on the driver’s side.

Now my rim is ripped apart (looks like gray ripped twisted cardboard) my wheel is pushed into the guard and camber is on roughly 25 degree angle from where it should sit.

I wasn't hooning, I wasn't doing anything illegal and not to sound arrogant I am a pretty skilled driver. Just sucks finding out how easily this stuff can happen. Worst part is I happened at about 4pm so when I finally managed to get it to a workshop it was to late for anyone to look at it, I have to wait till tomorrow to find the amount damage.

Don't know how I mill sleep tonight, feel like crying. I have only had the poor thing for about a month.

Ps I know this probably belongs in a different forum but I couldn’t find one for horror stories.

Hey! Aleast you have awesome camber now!

In all seriousness thoug, shame to hear mate. I know what its like to see the carnage the next day. Its tough.

How serious is the damage? Suspension arms damaged? Is the strut tower damaged?

Hope it all goes well mate.

There are people wrecking R33's every second day on the forums. Just see if you can get their stock bits. Hopefully it wont mutilate furture wheel alignments.

parts are a dime a dozen man... i've seen cars bare near written off hit the streets twice as hard as they have hit gutters less then a week later... good luck either way man... ps are you in north qld and wanting to drum in a band?

camber, haha funny thing is i had a joke with the mate that was with me about it. saddly though its oposite to how i would like it (i can never remeber if its posative or negative, but the top points out instead of in.)

as for demage im not too sure yet, will find out later today. yeah thats part of the reson why i brought a 33, people just seem to like writing them off. just a suck about the rim though. i hate the ones that are on it but i wasnt really planning on buying a new set yet.

ill post later today when i get a report back.

oh and mackay im in vic, though on the up side you wouldnt want me. other then being really fast and constant on a dobble kick, im not that fantastic. ill allways be a guitarist at hart.

I wasn't doing anything illegal

I hate to break it to you, but if you went into a corner fast enough to lose traction then you weren't driving at a speed suitable to the conditions...and that's against the law.

Edited by scathing

I hate to break it to you, but if you went into a corner fast enough to lose traction then you weren't driving at a speed suitable to the conditions...and that's against the law.

I stand corrected; I should have said I wasn't doing anything intentionally illegal. Point I was trying to get across was I wasn't trying to be an idiot.

Looks like I just got lawyerd...

There there Ross..there there.

What was the trap for young players you mentioned?

Every little things going to be alright now...there there.

Edited by madbung

No amount of brake pumping (which is pretty quick considering im a drummer) could stop me from hitting the gutter on the driver’s side.

I wasn't hooning, I wasn't doing anything illegal and not to sound arrogant I am a pretty skilled driver. Just sucks finding out how easily this stuff can happen. Worst part is I happened at about 4pm so when I finally managed to get it to a workshop it was to late for anyone to look at it, I have to wait till tomorrow to find the amount damage.

You sound arrogant...

Don't worry, so does nearly every single P-Plater and half the licenced drivers out there...

You're a pretty skilled driver, but you weren't paying attention.

Too quick into a corner.

Hit kerb.

Yep, pretty skilled there.

1) Skilled drivers pay attention.

2) Skilled drivers don't go into corners too quick

3) Skilled drivers don't hit things normally.

4) Skilled drivers don't start with "Not to sound arrogant, but..."

You're a P-Plater mate, you still don't know the first thing about driving really except how to put it into gear, stop start, kinda turn, and change lanes.., Even then, half the P platers out there (And fully licenced drivers) can't do those things!

Not to give you too much of a bashing, but you have A LOT to learn, and hopefully, you do learn from this accident (Unfortunately again, most P Platers don't, they just think themselves invincible)

God, the whole point to writing that part about hooning was to try and take my s**t situation and try to show it as an example.

Matt, do you like kicking people when they are feeling down, who are you to judge how I can drive. Jeezz, I just wanted to vent my frustration by writing it and I cop slack for it.

There there Ross..there there.

What was the trap for young players you mentioned?

Every little things going to be alright now...there there.

"Trap For Young Players" is an old saying. Sort of means common mistake.

Oh and no abs, fairly sure. there that or it does't work.

Donno, does a 1995 S1 R33 non turbo have abs?

Edited by PandaR33

God, the whole point to writing that part about hooning was to try and take my s**t situation and try to show it as an example.

Matt, do you like kicking people when they are feeling down, who are you to judge how I can drive. Jeezz, I just wanted to vent my frustration by writing it and I cop slack for it.

Mate, not kicking you whilst you're down. Trying to make you realise you're not a gun driver.

I've got over 4 years driving experience, and I'm still learning. I've also got experience at skid pans and the likes, I've been shown in controlled conditions how cars react differently (And as a P plater driving a RWD, you might think, more throttle = over steer, but doing such things as the skid pan, you'll quickly learn it doesn't)

Hell, I've made mistakes, I've completely trashed a twin turbo Supra by hitting a corner too quickly, I still cop shit for it now, nearly 15 - 16 months later. Get used to it mate.

You f**ked up, and what makes it worse, you're claiming you're a "good skilled driver" hell, I don't think I can find a single P plater on the road that is as good or skilled as they think...

I can chuck my ute around in corners harder and faster then what P platers I've ended up racing through the twisties can in a JZA80, R32, and R33 Skyline, and Sprinters... And hell, I wouldn't come near to claiming I'm a good skilled driver, but I could out perform all of these cars, in a much lesser vehicle... Yet each of those drivers thought they were the awesome...

I'm trying to get you to learn. You need to firstly learn to ALWAYS pay attention whilst driving, secondly, if you're on a street you don't know, and especially if it has turns, slow down more then normal.

I've got an R33, and I can turn some VERY tight turns at 40 - 50KM/h... Like, left hand 90 degree bends are easy at that speed... and I'm running standard suspension... And I don't slide out in the front... So I'd have to ask... How'd you manage to loose it, if you were doing the speed limit, and are a skilled driver? Or is it simply, over confidence, and this is the start of a learning curve?

I've been in your shoes once mate, I know how it feels, but hell, at least you can just replace a few parts and get back out there... I smashed the whole front end in to the point I could change engine parts without opening the bonnet...

Learn from it please, and learn quickly... No one is invincible, nor are they god behind the wheel!

"Trap For Young Players" is an old saying. Sort of means common mistake.

:P

Strange I thought it meant a "pit fall (mistake) that a novice might easily make".

For the sake of the children what was it man!

The trap that is :)

Edited by madbung

wtf are you doing speeding down a WRONG way road causing you to understeer and mount a kerb?

imagine if a car was coming out of that turn being his way (from what i understand of your post)

Unfortunate to hear about the crash, but it all sounds somehow dodgy.

Hopefully you've learnt from this mistake, having only owned the car for a month.

I advise hitting up some driver training courses (Driver Dynamics) with your new car to learn the limits of it safely off the streets