SAU Community

Tapleys Hill Road

TUFF_350

15 mates watching one of your best mates die. the other 2 in the back seat watching him take his last breth... changes your totall perspective on life its self.

It certainly does change you. I've seen enough.

Yet there are so many "indestructable" teens who firmly believe it will never happen to them, so people will continue to die, thats just how it is. I just feel sorry for those who get woken up in the middle of the night to discover the scene :banana:

Cars are getting more powerful, and its just too easy for a teen to show off. We should be limiting what young drivers can drive. Motorcyclists are limited under the LAMS program, so why can't L and P platers be subject to naturally aspirated 4 cylinder cars with under 100kw?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so drivers suddenly pick up lost reserves of skill driving with two less cylinders, do they? the government should improve the driving/licensing system rather than continuously jerking their knee in the direction of lowering limits.

i agree with RB PWR althrough i also see where other people are coming from saying to restrict the power to weight ratio for younger drivers.

BUT, like others have already said you can do stupid shit (regaurdless of it being a mistake or not) in ANY type of car. the government needs to make getting your licence harder. also, make them see crash scene pictures. make them read articles from the paper about accidents.

they need to make L and P platers find out and know that having your licence is a privledge not a right.

most of all, make driving courses in all conditions (wet, dry, dirt etc) a part of the licence program. a part of the final test would be even better!

it's just a thought that i've said everytime one of these threads pop up but get over looked :blush:

all p platers and people in general under 20 all cry and sook when the goverment give them restrictions on what they can drive.

15 yrs ago we all learnt to drive in 75 hp datsun 180b's, and corolla's.

it took 2 minutes to get to 100 kph and the death toll of youths was never heard off.

people these days that are 30+ have far greater respect for motor vehicles then a young punk thrashing a car his dad bought for him.

my thoughts only, but we should have 100hp cap on all people less then 20.

learn to drive before you race,

and be mature enough to recognise the consiquences.

i'm not going to have a go about this post dangerman4 but thats such an 'older persons' response to make.

like i said above, you can do stupid shit in any kind of car if you really wanted too.

also, i see PLENTY of older (30 y/o+) people doing stupid shit mainly because of the way they were taught and picked up stupid bad habits. also ive seen these 30+ y/o people drink driving in there rusted out buckets of shit that they were taught in 15 years ago.

there have been these older people trying to race me in there clubby etc.

so really, younger people and the baby boomers have are hand in hand. you cant say one does something wrong while the other doesnt.

i noted you said that 'people these days that are 30+ have far greater respect for motor vehicles then a young punk thrashing a car his dad bought for him.'

the highlighted bit is that part that i think would also be a huge factor in the hooning. if you get a young person to buy their own car they would respect it alot more! i know i do.

damn, i wrote a noval :banana:

The other thing to take into consideration is 15 -20 years ago you were driving your corollas and dattos with drum brakes, you get above 100kph and it'll take you a lot longer to slow down.. The cars may be getting more powerful as the years go by but they are also getting safer and getting weighed down by all the things they 'have' to have.

big brakes & handling didn't save the teenager in the WRX nor the teenager in the 31. There's no way a teenager who's still popping zits going to have the years of driving experience and defensive skills that either me, Roo or Dangerman have! If a knee jerk reaction is what's required, then so be it.......if it saves just 1 kid it was well worth it for that set of parents.

Horror videos etc are already in place if you go for a bike licence these days, but as Roo said, too many teens think they are invincible and that nothing will hurt them. A major crash at a young age can sometimes have a positive outcome (ie lead to a valuable lesson) which is the case with Shane and his quote below, but some kids won't learn from other peoples mistakes until their own mistake eventually catches them out.

i cannot tolerate speeding on any extent after my crash in my 33 (not that i was speeding.) just being in a car going 1k quicker than the speed limit scares me.

just thinking about crashing at 100k+/hour is enough to send shivers down anyones spine. 99% of people on here are responsible on the road but for the 1%, honestly just grow up. it's not worth it.

agree with all the above

A ke30 corolla with a 1.3lt engine can hit 160km/h...and you'd be far worse off in one of them than in a newer/larger car.

They need education on roads and shown pictures and video's of the devistation crashes cause to scare the shit out of them.

ive said it b4 sumwhere... rather than play playstation to progress from your p1's to your p2's i think a free or cheep driving course should be put together... how many young lives will it take b4 somthing is actualy done? the amount of "fees" "stamp duties" etc etc we pay for rego n liscening n all that you would think adding it all up would equate to a fairly decent sum... rather than give it to doll bludgers (those lygit ones yeah kool, but :blink: to free loaders) maybe it could be spent better! thats my 2c.... and roo if p plates are limited ill have to sell the stag :D

and i want to add... all these 'eye opening' ad's regarding drug and booze use put a fairly bad picture in young peoples heads... would this path help? but i spose all it takes is a commy driver along side ya, sum mates and a car and its a sure recipie for diaster... theres no 2 ways!

Edited by chef_stagea

ive said it b4 sumwhere... rather than play playstation to progress from your p1's to your p2's i think a free or cheep driving course should be put together..

The problem is that driving courses can make people bigger "hero's" than they already are. Back in the cruisingsa days there was 1 or 2 members who had done some form or driving course and they drove like the biggest hero's out of the other members.

The problem is that driving courses can make people bigger "hero's" than they already are. Back in the cruisingsa days there was 1 or 2 members who had done some form or driving course and they drove like the biggest hero's out of the other members.

good point.....so what do you do???...........enforce restrictions and let them squeal, at least they'll be around to try and talk some sense into their own kids 1 day!

im a oldie yes BUT

Did you know?

A teenager's first 500 miles of driving are the most dangerous. During that time, teens are 10 times more likely to crash than an adult.

Two-thirds of the teenagers who died in car accidents last year were not wearing seat belts.

For every 10 "close calls" in a car, there's one car accident.

16-year-olds crash at a rate that's nearly one and a half times as high as 17-year-olds.

15 to 20-year-olds make up 7 percent of licensed drivers, but suffer 14 percent of fatalities and 20 percent of all reported collisions.

53 percent of teen driver deaths occur on weekends.

Of all fatal teen car accidents, one-third involve speed related collisions and one-quarter involve the use of alcohol.

Teen Car Accident Prevention/Parents Can Help

Limit cell phone use.

Choose safe vehicles.

Make sure your teenage driver knows to be careful when backing up in that SUV or mini-van; even with use of rear view and side view mirrors, there is a big blind spot to the rear of the vehicle, where a child might be standing as your son or daughter backs out of the driveway.

Be a good role model. Always wear your seatbelt, never use your cell phone while driving, and don't be an aggressive driver.

Train teens for poor weather and other adverse driving conditions.

Discuss the importance of abstaining from alcohol and drugs, especially while operating a vehicle.

Insist that your teen wear a seatbelt.

Remind your teen that a car can be a weapon and driving is a privilege, not a right. Even though your teen may be legally eligible to drive, you can still decide if your teen is ready for the challenge.

Restrict night and weekend driving. Teen car accidents are more frequent after 11 p.m. on weekdays and after midnight on weekends.

Make sure your teen knows that it's okay to call you if he/she needs a ride home. Tell your teen that you won't be angry or upset, no matter what.

Drive with your teen. You can discover weaknesses behind the wheel and offer guidance.

Restrict the number of passengers in your teen's car. The more friends your teen is carrying, the greater the risk of an accident.

Now these are all valid points.

in my view there is no way a 16 - 20 yr old should have a powerful car.

they just arnt mature enough to control something thats out of control.

especially when they have mates in the car on a friday night etc.

go home guys and leave the street racing for the movies.

sure you can enforce laws on restrictions of vehicles to young people but is it still gonna control their ego? NO, when i just started driving give me a corolla or a skyline, it won't matter what car i had a poor attitude and would've wrapped either one around a pole! just because a car has less power and is slower it still wouldn't stop me from taking the corner harder! back then i drove a very slow mazda mx6, slow as thing but i've taken more risks in it 100 times more than what i do with my skyline now! back then i had a big ego till the time i went off a cliff on lofty it made me realise i could've died and what would've been worse is if i killed someone else! but now i've settled down and use my skyline as a daily and the goal is to build a reliable daily i can take to the track on weekends! so my point is it's almost impossible to stop this kind of behaviour by enforcing laws and etc! changing the law doesn't mean it'll change the attitude, it still won't stop a young person going out stealing, borrowing and joy riding! sure you can cut the percentage of hoon related accidents down but for how long? there'll be some sort of loop hole they'll exploit! on the point of the restrictions what's stopping the young driver when they get unrestricted to go out and kill themselves with something high powered? if a law or something has to be enforced to combat this problem then they might as well stop handing out licenses! no law is gonna change the ego and attitude of a young driver! it's the driver themself who changes their own attitude, i don't know but maybe better older role models as well? because when i was in high school it was cool when a parent or school seniors did burn outs so of course that's gonna rub off on the younger generation! after all that typing my sole point is you can't change the attitude of a young hoon, only they themself can

lol Son, that hurt my brain :)

simple answer to a long post:

I have 4 cars and 1 motorcycle but only ever get the urge to put my foot down in one of them........see if you can guess which one?!

lol Son, that hurt my brain :)

simple answer to a long post:

I have 4 cars and 1 motorcycle but only ever get the urge to put my foot down in one of them........see if you can guess which one?!

you got 4 cars and 1 bike! well let's put it in a different contents! which car did you first start putting the foot down in? i highly doubt you would've first learnt and feel how to car control in your gtr but i could be wrong

Edited by nos man

we actually had AIR in those days to take it off the streets.....but that's another can of worms.

You may have missed my point though Son, what I'm trying to say is that when I don't drive a high powered car, I don't have anywhere near the urge to hit the loud pedal as hard, but in the GTR I do, hence why kids in turbo cars are more likely to do something silly than a kid in an under powered 4 cyl.

If you're a kid in a turbo car, you're more likely to want to drag people at the lights as opposed to being in a car that has no chance at all, not to mention that there's more chance of wanting to show off in front of the mates.