SAU Community

Bose Speaker Problem

If I may make a suggestion before you rip the car apart looking for amps and shit, test something first.

When you're getting the problem while listening to a CD, flick over to the radio and see if it happens there (or any other audio source aside from the CD player if you have one). I get the feeling the problem is isolated to the CD player.

The 350Z Bose stereos have a known issue (with TSB I'm pretty sure, although I don't have it to hand) where the speakers intermittently drop out while playing CDs. It doesn't happen with the tape deck or tuner (or aux input for those cagey enough to figure out there was one), and it feels like a loose connection since hard accelerating/braking can start/stop the problem. US guys have complained about it, as have a few Australians I know. Since the Z and V share so many components, it could be a common theme.

Nissan Aus didn't even bother fixing it when 2 of my mates had the issue with their Z's. The head unit was replaced. Mine did it just after warranty expired. At first it was the passenger side (both front and rear). Then the driver's side occasionally. Then both. Then back to passenger side. I ended up using a FM tuner or tape to line-in converter with my iPod. I replaced it with a double DIN, and kept the amps and speakers stock, and haven't had issues since.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it with the Radio. Don't usually listen to it, but I can get AM and a few FM stations without having a FM Modulator.

I'll keep you posted.

If I may make a suggestion before you rip the car apart looking for amps and shit, test something first.

When you're getting the problem while listening to a CD, flick over to the radio and see if it happens there (or any other audio source aside from the CD player if you have one). I get the feeling the problem is isolated to the CD player.

The 350Z Bose stereos have a known issue (with TSB I'm pretty sure, although I don't have it to hand) where the speakers intermittently drop out while playing CDs. It doesn't happen with the tape deck or tuner (or aux input for those cagey enough to figure out there was one), and it feels like a loose connection since hard accelerating/braking can start/stop the problem. US guys have complained about it, as have a few Australians I know. Since the Z and V share so many components, it could be a common theme.

Nissan Aus didn't even bother fixing it when 2 of my mates had the issue with their Z's. The head unit was replaced. Mine did it just after warranty expired. At first it was the passenger side (both front and rear). Then the driver's side occasionally. Then both. Then back to passenger side. I ended up using a FM tuner or tape to line-in converter with my iPod. I replaced it with a double DIN, and kept the amps and speakers stock, and haven't had issues since.

GOOD POINT!

Well thanks for the tip "scathing" because it appears you are correct. I have the Bose curse. No speaker drop out with the Radio.

That is annoying, especially after having gone through the power window motor issue just recently.

So what is the cheapest way to fix this?

Is the "(or aux input for those cagey enough to figure out there was one)" the FM tuner or tape to line in Converter that you refer to later in your post or something else?

How expenisive is the Double DIN option likely to be? Does it improve the sound over the Bose Head unit?

I don't know if it impoves audio quality (I can't hear much in it since I've retained the Bose speakers/amps) but I now have native iPod support, I can read MP3s off DVD, and I can watch DVDs.

In terms of functionality, its miles ahead.

Call Chris first anyway.