SAU Community

Haltech Gt-r Engine Carnage!

PJ.

I'm very impressed with Haltec's efforts - take a look at that curve!!! awesome :P well done on the imporvements guys and preps to the stock engine and hardware getting there (if even for a short time!)

good to see an Aussie company doing the hard yards.

an R35 will be mine in about 10 years ha ha ha ;)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the same about being able to feel the difference in weight with a set of titanium rods. But I cant feel any difference - Will let you know but as im not sure I dont want to get quoted saying anything!

Update:

Nissan USA have helped us out with a block which is being shipped to DARTON Sleves and will be ready to send to Oz in 10 days!

So, you killed it with a mechanical over-rev?

Normally a rod will fail due to a extreme tension strain when this sort of thing happens, but i'm guessing since they are made from titanium, the gudgeon hole in the piston was the weakest link.

Yes, it would be nice to know what actually caused the failure. Because the inference is that weak pistons caused it when from the little we have been told it could have resulted from an over rev, for example.

Still most here seem to be happy to assume the worst as far as Nissan are concerned :P

It appears Haltech have found the limits of Nissans new super car!

Oh please.

We all whinge about it, but that right there is the number 1 reason Nissan make it as difficult as possible to modify the GTR.

One engine fails prematurely due to completely unknown circumstances while being circuit raced, and all of a sudden the VR38 has a "limit".

The internet warriors get a hold of this story, chinese whispers begin, and the VR38 is a soon known as a 'weak' engine.

Once the exact cause of the failure has been determined, and other motors start experiencing failures are similar power levels, then maybe you can claim to have been the first to find the limit.

Until then, it's a single motor which has failed, while other 500+hp GT-R's soldier on.

Piston #1 and #3 had separated from their lower halves right through the center of the gudgeon pin. As the Conrod's had no piston's to guide them up and down the bore they started smashing the bore, block, oil pump, sump and anything else that got in their way.

Obviously I haven't seen the engine, but let me get this straight...

You're suggesting that two pistons, failed simultaneously, in the exact same point, at the same time, due ONLY to a structual flaw in the piston design?

Isn't it far more likely the piston separation is a by-product of a more serious underlying issue?

Was fuel pressure, oil pressure, or oil temperature logged at any stage in this "testing"?

does the ECU control the gearbox ??? or does a nissan computer still control that ?

i read in the first post you were doing flat shift calibrations ? what controls downshift ?

just sick of the keyboard hero's carrying on about the box's blowing up next the motors

Sounds like the new GTR is continuing the tradition of engine and gearbox failures when modified.

let the chinese whispers begin :down:

To the guys arking up about it - how does it affect your life so much - were u the Chief Nissan engineer who designed it? Get a life - its good to know the positives and negatives about certain things at the end of the day im sure most people will be able to work it out.

Edited by Starionturbo

Some how i think its no where near at its limits and the proof is that there are thousands of 35 GTR's with more power and work done to them than the Haltech 35, and still going strong, I think that the Tuner was at his limits Maybe ?

Wont it be a bit embarrassing when heaps of other shops and tuning companies make way more power and the engine still holds together after making a coment like

It appears Haltech have found the limits of Nissans new super car!

The engine had met its maker.

Wont it be a bit embarrassing when heaps of other shops and tuning companies make way more power and the engine still holds together not to mention the loss of customer client el ?

Some how i think its no where near at its limits and the proof is that there are thousands of 35 GTR's with more power and work done to them than the Haltech 35, and still going strong, I think that the Tuner was at his limits Maybe ?

Wont it be a bit embarrassing when heaps of other shops and tuning companies make way more power and the engine still holds together after making a coment like

Wont it be a bit embarrassing when heaps of other shops and tuning companies make way more power and the engine still holds together not to mention the loss of customer client el ?

I doubt there's "thousands" with more modified engines than this one going around, they haven't made all that many!

I doubt there's "thousands" with more modified engines than this one going around, they haven't made all that many!

maybe but you get my drift, i dont think that the limits of the VR have been reached yet not buy a long shot somehow

No one is talking negatively, the engine blew, big deal its an engine its supposed to do that, its just comments like The limit has been found are wrong and shouldn't be made until quite a few engines are tested IMO.

A few hours later the engine was fully stripped and the damage to the engine was clear - It appears Haltech have found the limits of Nissans new super car!

The engine had met its maker.

Piston #1 and #3 had separated from their lower halves right through the center of the gudgeon pin. As the Conrod's had no piston's to guide them up and down the bore they started smashing the bore, block, oil pump, sump and anything else that got in their way.

What was the condition of the bore liner? I know Nissan made a point of highlighting it's new

fangled Thermal Sprayed bore liners when the car was released. Many people were worried

about the ultimate strength of the liner and there were even suggestions that the liner

wears out fast enough to require a tear down service at 100k, which i still find hard

to believe.

Is is possible that the Pistons may have separated due to bore liner collapse and

subsequent gouging?

From what I understand, the VR38 shares the same bore centres as the VQ35HR but finds it's

additional capacity from the lack of sleeves. Wouldn't this mean that the Dartons would lessen

the bore diameter, if only slightly? So you would probably end up with a 3.6 liter engine, albeit

a much stronger 3.6 liter. That's assuming there is not much room to move in terms of boring

outwards.

Edited by gp900

Who cares if the engine let go, i'm more excited to see how much more hp that can make with a forged engine.... not many of those going around! :)

:P So exactly how does a 'forged engine' make more power? Whatever a 'forged engine' is.

:P So exactly how does a 'forged engine' make more power? Whatever a 'forged engine' is.

*Detects sarcasm*

Forged internals = stronger.

Stronger resistance to cylinder pressure = more power potential through boost and revs

duh. Do you think 1000hp engines are cast or something? lol

If you werent being sarcastic, sorry

Edited by Jet30

Forged internals = stronger.

Stronger resistance to cylinder pressure = more power potential through boost and revs

duh. Do you think 1000hp engines are cast or something? lol

You missed the point there champ.

A "forged motor" (ie. something with forged rods/pistons) doesn't inherrently make more power.

You don't get 1000hp from pistons and rods. You can make decent power by upgrading the support systems and pushing them to the limits on a motor that can handle it.

Somehow I think you're going to have to upgrade the turbos before you really find the limit of a stock VR38. Thus until Haltech do that, building a stronger motor is near-on pointless.