SAU Community

Haltech Gt-r Engine Carnage!

PJ.

It appears that Haltech is pretty lucky to get a replacement engine:

Nissan will continue its history of refusing to offer crate engines and gearboxes to all but a few select Nissan dealerships.

Nissan has explained that the parts withheld are “highly engineered, using technologies unique to Nissan”. So, it reasons, who receives them should be closely controlled to protect Nissan’s intellectual property.

Source

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

give me a break. as if you couldn't buy an r35 half cut if you wanted to. hell someone in oz already has one.

I really don't get all the fuss in this thread. These guys pushed the engine and have a rebuild coming. I did 4 motors last year and don't push them half as hard as these guys have. Good luck to them for putting their money out to develop their product like this.

I understand pretty every race r35 is Oz is running a haltec, so all of the jealous kids might as well pipe down. I don't see anyone chucking a rebadged link into them. All the best with the development, I hope you have more good results to share

It appears that Haltech is pretty lucky to get a replacement engine:

Source

Yeah, this is what some people in the US are finding out at the moment-

post-28102-1233067231_thumb.jpg

Personally if I buy a car its on the basis that the manufacturer will just sell me the parts to fix it myself if needed... I mean for f*cks sake just looking at most of those parts listed theres only a couple I'd think twice about DIY (like the engine) because the rest is pretty much plug and play.

What a crock of shit

Two things-

1. The 'engine' restriction doesn't seem to mention cylinder heads. hmmm...

2. Why the hell is Nissan U.S HQ in Nashville? "Gosh darn Dolly, this 'ere Nee-san dun feel nuthing like ma ol' F-150 pickup..."

I understand pretty every race r35 is Oz is running a haltec, so all of the jealous kids might as well pipe down. I don't see anyone chucking a rebadged link into them. All the best with the development, I hope you have more good results to share

sounds like your taking a shot at dirtgarage/ray hall? have they been hanging shit on haltec or something?

forgive me for not keeping up with all the drama, and no, i havent read very much of this thread.

Nissan was much cooler when they were losing money hand-over-fist, it has to be said :)

I blame their being shacked-up with the snooty French.

Yeah Nissan's 90s jdm car range was quite incredible!

But nissan would be no more without carlos/renault and without adapting to recent market changes.

I dont like that they arent making the range of 'sports' cars they were, but atleast they have put all their marbles in with the R35.. And it payed off :P

That document looks like a nightmare for the privateer

• 5 months later...

500+ hp with mid-pipe and new Map is plenty.. :) ...no need to squeeze an already highly tuned motor

for more....... :P

Seems like that grass is still greener on the other side of that fence.....

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of questions if anyone knows the answers, it would be most appreciated.

1. How much kw at the wheels was this car running over stock when it blew up?

2. How much would it cost to rebuild the car after suc a failure?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
A couple of questions if anyone knows the answers, it would be most appreciated.

1. How much kw at the wheels was this car running over stock when it blew up?

2. How much would it cost to rebuild the car after suc a failure?

thanks

1. Approximately 400kW @ wheels I believe.

2. Including labour probably about the same money as a used stock R34 GT-R

It depends on if you can score access to the parts or not. Yes if you must buy a whole Engine Assy it is expensive. Nissan are becoming more open to selling bare blocks however and the price is much more reasonable if you buy one and put aftermarket pistons and rods in.

All depends on what was damaged in the engine failure but yes it can add up very quickly...

500+ hp with mid-pipe and new Map is plenty.. :P ...no need to squeeze an already highly tuned motor

for more....... :D

Seems like that grass is still greener on the other side of that fence.....

It's funny how once you get to the other side and take a glance back at your old grass, sometimes it looks better than the stuff you just hopped to :D

Newfound appreciation for old grass!

As a statistics nut I have to side with the people who say it's just one (possible two or three) engine out of however many there are. This said, engines are produced with as much control over variance as possible (despite minute differences between even two of the exact same engine) - so it is still a good representation of an approximate limitation for the engine. And THAT said, given the complexity of engines, without knowing exactly what caused this it's very hard to say whether it is a factory or tuner fault. Time will tell I guess.

• 2 months later...