SAU Community

Car Registration

Ravyk

This is probably a really stupid question, but I couldnt find anything when I googled it.

If I were to buy a car interstate, say QLD or NSW with current rego...how would I go about re-registering it in SA with SA plates?? Who would I have to do it through?

Yep go down to Regency but go to the Vehicle Inspection section - it's not the same as the defect place. They'll go over the car (not as bad as a defect) and ensure it's not stolen, etc.

You won't need a appointment, either. Just rock up, fill out a few forms, and away you go.

Just make sure the car is pretty stock(ish).

There are many threads on this already.... perhaps try a search in this forum!

Otherwise yes it is simply an ID check (unless there are obvious defects) and they will check rego, vin no. and engine no.

This can also be done at marion (Sturt rd next to police station) if you are south.

Edited by HOSTILE

ah awesome, sturt cop shop is just down the hill from me

Ahhh... another hillbilly LOL yes I am O'Halloran Hill myself.

My last few cars were purchased from Sydney, melbourne and Brissy respectively, so done the sturt thing a few times.

ah awesome, sturt cop shop is just down the hill from me

You may need Benjamin Crash on South Road to stamp the chassis number on the strut tower first. Both my Stags needed this done before the Sturt inspection station would even look at it. $25 for them to stamp it.

Then take it to the Sturt vehicle identity inspection station and they'll simply record the old plate number, vin, engine number, and then send you to the rego office with the paperwork to get it regoed. Expect to pay stamp duty and transfer fees on top of rego fees.

:/

Ahhh... another hillbilly LOL yes I am O'Halloran Hill myself.

My last few cars were purchased from Sydney, melbourne and Brissy respectively, so done the sturt thing a few times.

Haha I am literally just up the hill from it, I reside in Aberfoyle Park...but normally I'm moping around Flagstaff Hill

Haha I am literally just up the hill from it, I reside in Aberfoyle Park...but normally I'm moping around Flagstaff Hill

Yeah, I am just the other side of the reservoir but often along blacks rd and round the hub! :/

Im another hillbilly, Sheidow Hill - I mean Park! Sheidow Park! :)

Martin - haven't seen you heading up Sth Rd for a while now - what time you been finishing at KB?

Gday Lee, knock off 5.30 daily but you won't notice me.... driving my mums car (She has another house in darwin and has been there for 12 months or so) and that is a ...cough.... volvo 850 turbo. :(

ppfffft who needs registration :P

bwhaha...well i'd rather not lose my licence...almost had that happen already this year :(

Edited by Ravyk

If the car is currently registered in another state... Obviously you have to do a vin/id check before rego

What i wanted to mention was... the current interstate rego must be refunded in their state and it can't be refunded here in SA

The reason you can't transfer interstate rego here is because the state government where you previous purchased the vehicle will have the previous rego payment (ie. South Australia won't be getting your rego, the interstate government will)

I recently bought a Skyline from Melbourne and it had a years rego on it... So i rang up VIC Roads and fax through the proof of number plate, new ownership and rego stamp.

It takes upto 6-8 weeks to receive the cheque from VIC Roads... I still haven't got mine

For anyone considering buying a car interstate... negotiate with the seller to have the current rego refunded, get the car at a cheaper price so the seller can refund the money for themselves. Best way to do it

Goodluck Buddy

ok cool...although now i have another question [sorry x_X]

if the seller gets the rego refunded, can it still driven interstate to be re-rego'd? or does it have to be sorted out before buying?? or have I completly lost the plot, misinterperated the post and going off on a different track??

Best way to go about it is:

1. get the car at a lower price (ie: if the car holds 3 months rego, look for around $180-200 dollars off. If the car still holds approx. 1 years rego look for around $500-$550 off)

2. The seller won't be able to refund the rego straight away, so ask if you can drive the car home first and then post the license plates and rego sticker when you arrive home (this will get you home safely without police hassles) "OR" worst case scenario, if the seller doesn't think you'll be honest then go to the local cop shop or rego department (eg. VIC Roads) and ask for a permit. They will cost approx. $30 for a 24hr permit to get yourself home.

3. I would suggest transfering the car into your name within 2 weeks ( as you may already know it is illegal not to transfer within 2 weeks of purchase date)

If you haven't got the interstate plates, then you have to get another permit here in SA from either MotorReg or Police station. You'll work out which places you'll need to go and get the permits as i didn't need to. Use this permit to go to the vin/id check (The Adress is 7 Naweena Road, Regency Park and contact number is 1300 882 247) you can just rock up for this, you don't need to book ( unless the vehicle is a repaired writeoff) and then get rego.

4. Be prepared to pay for all costs: within the week of purchasing my new beast it cost me approx. $350 for transfer (with car valued at $10,000), 3 months rego $180 (which is only what i could afford at the time), new plates $30 for standard or otherwise anywhere from $120-$240 for custom or premium plates, vin/id inspection cost is $50

All up it cost me around $800-$900 ontop of purchase price of vehicle. That's without petrol driving back from melbourne, airplane tickets, taxi costs etc

Hope this helps

Also another question ive just imported a R33 skyline when i go and get rego from transSA and have to pay stamp duty do i pay 4% of what i paid for the car or what i paid all up including compliance and shipping ? i paid around $6000 for the skyline plus another $6000 to ship and complie.

Also another question ive just imported a R33 skyline when i go and get rego from transSA and have to pay stamp duty do i pay 4% of what i paid for the car or what i paid all up including compliance and shipping ? i paid around $6000 for the skyline plus another $6000 to ship and complie.

You actually make your own estimate on the vehicle when re-registering it. If it's done by a dealer, then usually they make the approx. estimate

But if the vehicle has been imported under a private import, then i assume that the new owner makes their own estimate on how much the vehicle is worth. The seller can also fill this section in to make you pay the full cost (but this will only usually happen if: you purchase within Australia and piss the private seller off which makes them write down how much you have paid "OR" are religious to subjecting you to pay full amount LOL :) )

It is illegal to under-estimate the vehicles value (ie putting a R34 GTR estimate at around $10,000) so that you pay less in stamp duty. If your looking to insure the car, then i would also suggest putting a true value on the stamp duty papers. This may have conflicts when the insurance company looks back at how much you estimate the car... to the true value of the car.

Either way, i believe that the going rate is 3-3.3% of the estimated value you declare for that particular car. Unless you drive a Ferrari, BMW, Porsche

(anything luxury) you will get smacked with a very high stamp duty tax. Something around 10-15%

Either way, it's a one-off payment, so you may aswell delcare the vehicle at something decent, incase problems do arise. I delcared my R34 GT-t at 12K and paid approx. $350 in stamp duty

Hope this helps

Edited by Skyline1989

You actually make your own estimate on the vehicle when re-registering it. If it's done by a dealer, then usually they make the approx. estimate

But if the vehicle has been imported under a private import, then i assume that the new owner makes their own estimate on how much the vehicle is worth. The seller can also fill this section in to make you pay the full cost (but this will only usually happen if: you purchase within Australia and piss the private seller off which makes them write down how much you have paid "OR" are religious to subjecting you to pay full amount LOL :) )

It is illegal to under-estimate the vehicles value (ie putting a R34 GTR estimate at around $10,000) so that you pay less in stamp duty. If your looking to insure the car, then i would also suggest putting a true value on the stamp duty papers. This may have conflicts when the insurance company looks back at how much you estimate the car... to the true value of the car.

Either way, i believe that the going rate is 3-3.3% of the estimated value you declare for that particular car. Unless you drive a Ferrari, BMW, Porsche

(anything luxury) you will get smacked with a very high stamp duty tax. Something around 10-15%

Either way, it's a one-off payment, so you may aswell delcare the vehicle at something decent, incase problems do arise. I delcared my R34 GT-t at 12K and paid approx. $350 in stamp duty

Hope this helps

Hey mate thank you so much, your help is very appreciated and now i know what i need to do.