SAU Community

P-platers And Driving Interstate

Ravyk

I'm currently on my P1s/soon to be P2's in South Australia.

What I'd like to know if I drove a car interstate that didnt fit that state's P-platers car power restrictions, does it affect me or not? Am I exempt from that because I hold a different state licence? Or do I have to abide by that state's rules?

I'm asking because I am looking at a car in QLD I am interested in buying...its legal here for a p-plater but up there I'm pretty sure it isnt there nor in NSW where I'd have to drive it through.

So anyone know??

Your licence is your licence, the rules current at the time (and the state )that you got your licence apply to you in any state or territory of Aus.

So yes it is legal for you to drive a Turbocharged car in a state where restrictions apply (NSW QLD VIC etc etc)

cool thanks heaps...just wanted to make sure

one other question...what if the car is registered in that state and has that state's plates? will that make a difference?

cool thanks heaps...just wanted to make sure

one other question...what if the car is registered in that state and has that state's plates? will that make a difference?

Nope, no difference at all,

Say if you bought CARX from NSW, and your licence allows you to drive CARX (turbocharged, etc etc) then you could buy the car, drive it wherever you wanted.

You must obide by the laws of the state you are driving in, but you may not excede the restrictions on your issued licence (confused yet?)

Ok, If your issued a licence in S.A, you have a certain type of car restriction, such as (example only here) 100kw/tonne GVM of the car you wish to drive.

You also have speed restrictions, say 90km/h maximum, and because your half blind, you MUST wear glasses while driving, because this is what your state's licences requires of you.

Now, you drive into another state (Queensland), you still have the restrictions issued with your licence, such as the 100kw/tonne GVM, and the 90km/h speed restriction, and you still need your 4-eyes to drive.

If you pick up a turbocharged car to purchase and drive home, as long as it's within the restrictions of your licence, you may drive this vehicle, because the licence depicts the restrictions set upon you as a driver, so although P-plater drivers are banned from driving V8 and Turbocharged cars in Victoria, NSW and Qld, because your licence was issued in SA, you can drive this car.

Now for the rules. Not sure, so again this is example only sh*t!!

If S.A allows you to drive your car on P-plates as long as your under the 0.02 BAC, this is fine for S.A, as this is what the state-issued law is for this region. If you drive in Qld, and the P-plater law for the state says you are not to have ANY alcohol while driving, you MUST obey this law in Qld.

Any example of this effecting me was on the weekend, I drive the State Emergency Service trucks here in NSW, when we need to close a road off, we flick the red and blue's on, set up cones, switch on the road closed sign, then our team sets about the task of duties on the road (such as clear a fallen tree).

Now, last weekend, myself and a team traveled to Qld to assist with their SES teams. First thing we where instructed was because we where in Qld, and because we had to obey the state's traffic laws, we where NOT permitted the use of blue flashing lights on the vehicle, if we had to close a road, we needed to use our hazard lights and traffic cones, no red and blues, or we would be issued a traffic infringement for their use.

So in very short terms:

You must obey the state's traffic laws

You must not exceed your issued licence's restrictions.

B.

You must obey the state's traffic laws

You must not exceed your issued licence's restrictions.

B.

But what about that states License restrictions?

Say, if i jump in my dad's car (~105KW's, ~900kg's), which is legal for me to drive on my P-Plates in QLD, could I still drive in in South Australia, even though it breaks the 100KW/tonne mark? Would i also need to do the 90km/h thing? And most importantly, how likely is it for a Cop to give a shit, even if i am, and not give me a ticket anyway?

Edited by sneakey pete

You can drive the car.

I am currently residing in NSW, but have a QLD Registered R34 Turbo, and have a QLD license, police can't book me for not displaying P's, driving a turbo car on my P's, or having more than 1 under 25 year old passenger after 11pm.

But they can ping you for speeding, defect you etc.

Hope this helps.

Dallas.

But what about that states License restrictions?

Your licence restrictions carry with you from state to state.

Put it this way, You learn to drive in State A, you are taught by that state's guidelines, and are therefore qualified to drive to a set guideline, which is issued to you via restrictions on your licence for that state.

The training in State A might be far superior to any other State in Country XYZ, so therefore, due to much better teaching methods, better driver training, they allow their P-platers to drive Turbocharged cars (but still restrict V8's).

If a P-plate driver from that state chooses to go on a road trip over to State C, they must obey the road laws set by State C for the roads in State C, but they are still goverened restriction wise, by their licence in State A, because of their superior driver training.

Likewise, if a P-plate Driver from State C desides to go visit his cousin in State A, he can not jump in and drive his cousin's Nissan GTR, because his licence restrictions state no turbocharged, no V8. This is because State C's driver training is performed by a bunch of camel riding monkeys that found their licence in a cornflake's packet, so they play it safe and restrict the driver's vehicle power.

If you have licence restrictions that limit you to 80km/h, that is your maximum speed all over Australia, even NT with the 130km/h highways (yep, 130km/h now, not unlimited speed limit).

If your allowed to drive a turbocharged car on your licence, you can drive a turbocharged car in EVERY state of Australia.

B.

acutally they could book you for failure to display your Provisional plates as it is a requirement by law in QLD now to display your L and Green n Red P's.

Qld law required the display of L and P-plates, they also now have restrictions on Turbocharged and V8 powered cars for provisional licence holders, but if your licence was issued prior to the introduction of these new laws, you hold an automatic exemption to these laws, but if you loose your licence, you will loose this exemption when you get your licence back.

B.