Should We Put A Stop To Organised 'regular' Cruises

Cubes

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont think think the cruises should stop i think the people arranging them do a great job :-) personaly i dont go on them as a older member i feel a bit out of place hanging out with people old enough to be my kids .

but those that enjoy them and there seems plenty that do good luck to ya enjoy your rides kudo;s to the people that have done a great job in arranging them as well .

mid life crisis

thats not the only point the mods are trying to get accross here guys.

we need to get rid of the street orientated club tag if SAU-SA ever has a chance to be an official club.

But it IS one of the main points... it all started because of reporting to the Police on everything we do - which is what we're saying is not necessary, and now they want to attend the cruises regularly which is what started this whole discussion in the first place... I like the good ol fashion way when we just create threads and organize a cruise... without the need to inform the Police on everything we do!

SAU-SA will happen when someone puts in the time and effort necessary to organize people and money to make it happen... we've got plenty of regulars on here - although how many of those regulars are willing to be a regular at the track is the next question I believe...

The problem I have seen (and this is only a personal opinion) is that the cruise I have been on there has been more standing around talking in car parks than actually driving. Like 3 hours talking <1hour driving. I go on cruises to drive my car (as that about the only time it gets driven), not to stand around for hours talking; don't get me wrong, having a chat has it's place on cruises but when the talking replaces the driving as the main emphasis on the cruise then some thing is going wrong.

At the end of the day it's a Car Cruise not a CWA meeting.

Edited by D_Stirls

i have seen this mentioned a couple times already. thanks for your efforts bunny and roo

as mitch said, im all for more low key cruises... and through more backwoods areas that will attract less attention.

I for one could not afford to get my car off defect for months, so i have (regrettably) taken the SAU stickers off my car, and its doubtfull that i will be out on a sanctioned cruise.

im one for a good chat ;) so im quite chuffed with when i do catch up with other members that there is a strong social aspect. For now i reckon its a good idea that cruises/meets get organised over more private means like MSN or PM etc

Steve actually was indeed intending to go, I was to accompany him. I have also been out on track and loved it, this is however beside the point. This thread is about cruises, not track days

WOW!!!! some of you people just dont get it =\

stand back, read the threads again, then note:

1) the Stags didn't invte the police

2) Kellie didn't invtie them either, she was just for warning us

3) the police are wanting to "work with" us rather than against

4) by banning these cruises you are:

a) turning us into an underground organisation

b) condeming us to be against the police

c) giving the police another reason to target our cars and any car with an SAU sticker on it

i think everyone (including the police) need some time for all this to cool before we go making any snap desicions...

and because of all this it has ruined such event for other people to organise now too

so, because some kid died in a car accident its ruined all SAU events from now on? i kinda expected a little more from you madaz =\

and how is a "crusing tonight" thread going to bring us any less attention? now police will just know that we are out, and since we can't work with them they'll just be on the look out for us regardless, because like it or not we are now ALL hoons????

i think some of you guys need to look at both sides of the coin and that being said, looking under hoods is just wrong!!! sure, come to a meet, check our tyres, take down our regos... but if you belive us to be the responsible section of the car enthusiast community you could give us some slack until you know we did something wrong! show your face, keep the mum and dads happy, tag along for a little bit... i think they were asking too much trust from us, they need to show us some trust first!!

i don't really see the issue with police being notified unless they step over the line.

it was mentioned earlier about ns.com cruises - police are notified about the official hardtuned events (the large ones) and generally speaking things go smoothly except for those that do the wrong thing ie speed

i think the popping of the bonnets yesterday was pushing it but at the same time everyone chose to be there and it's no different to if someone had of been asked to pull over individually and pop the hood if you ask me

i'm not much of a 'cruiser' but it is nice to catch up with and meet people that share common interests, would be a shame if it went completely underground

1) the Stags didn't invte the police

3) the police are wanting to "work with" us rather than against

4) by banning these cruises you are:

a) turning us into an underground organisation

b) condeming us to be against the police

c) giving the police another reason to target our cars and any car with an SAU sticker on it

i think everyone (including the police) need some time for all this to cool before we go making any snap desicions...

so, because some kid died in a car accident its ruined all SAU events from now on? i kinda expected a little more from you madaz =\

and how is a "crusing tonight" thread going to bring us any less attention? now police will just know that we are out, and since we can't work with them they'll just be on the look out for us regardless, because like it or not we are now ALL hoons????

i think some of you guys need to look at both sides of the coin and that being said, looking under hoods is just wrong!!! sure, come to a meet, check our tyres, take down our regos... but if you belive us to be the responsible section of the car enthusiast community you could give us some slack until you know we did something wrong! show your face, keep the mum and dads happy, tag along for a little bit... i think they were asking too much trust from us, they need to show us some trust first!!

i think thats spot on...

The problem is they now want to know of future organised cruises and they want to also attend and VIS at them also.

This is where the problem resides.

We are a sensible bunch of people of which IMO have a reputation of holding sedate/sensible cruises (thanks to kellie) so why do they feel the need to spend tax payers money on SAU/SA.

---

Well come on people make suggestions how to attack this problem.

IMO notifying the police is one thing but them stating they will be attending and looking for dangerous modifications at ALL future events is a worry. I'd almost be worried to rock up in the old VN if my 32 was off the road.

Maybe Kellie or some one could have a chat to Neil and discuss the requirement for attending cruise meet spots/taking down number plates etc. There has to be a middle ground especially if we have a 'good rep'.

Or is it not open for discussion on their side?

most of your post is hearsay

how on earth do you tie in some kid dieing in an accident with me saying "and because of all this it has ruined such event for other people to organise now too

" by all this i mean the deal with cops turning up and if we dont inform cops about a cruise then there will be defects all round is what people are worried about

i don't doubt that roo or adam notified the police that they were having a cruise on Sunday like kell told us she used to do which in my books is basically as good as an invitation

last part of your post makes scene... oh btw how many mods to you have to take off to return to factory conish....

yeah i thought so

I think we all need to take a hold of what Matt (moderator) was trying to get across.

As little as 10 years ago, organized cruises occurred once in a blue moon by older car enthusiasts, the high performance turbo cars were not affordable amongst the younger ones and there's no way they could afford the big $$$ to make their v8's stand out. Times have clearly changed where a 17 year old can now afford a car that they clearly cannot handle. This very fact is why we have the extra heat on the import car scene these days......teenager killed in WRX is a perfect example.

I do have a possible solution though that may satisfy both camps.

A short while ago I had a chance to catch up with the organizers of the biggest regular cruises in Adelaide, Grant & Stephanie Zippel (they're older than me, lol).

He has regular meets, once a month, without the dramas of police and unwarranted tag alongs.

This is a direct quote from Grant Zippel:

We operate by mailing list to the 600 people on our database. This way only those people know and we therefore keep the trouble makers away.

I think we can learn from those that have had success with this sort of thing but IMO, I think the SAU tag must be dropped from any privately organized cruise in the immediate future, or at least till this latest heat dissipates.

I agree with SLED about the mailing list idea for cruises. My thoughts are that meeting points should be more on the outskirts of the city with the cruise heading out of town. I definitely don't believe we should ban all cruises.

Cubes if you intend on being a moderator stop deleting posts that you dont agree with. Ive been sitting here watching this thread and every 2 seconds people posts keep disappearing if they disagree with you. In which case i imagine you will prove my point and either edit or delete this post.

Just to make you happy, i do however agree that contacting neil to find out what the requirements for being left alone will be. Ive been involved with the car scene and SAU for a number of years now and for one am sick of being labelled a hoon because i drive an import. Im 30 years old now and my insurance is finally cheaper, if the insurance company can realise im a safer more responsible driver then why cant the police? The police themselves said they hear very little negative comments about SAU, so there should be no reason to target us.

how about we try and negotiate with neil regarding hood popping?

maybe we can only resort to this if ppl are being reported for messing around?

i think if they want our co-op we need theres...

in the end its all about working together...

vote 1 for no hood popping.... lol

I think we all need to take a hold of what Matt (moderator) was trying to get across.

As little as 10 years ago, organized cruises occurred once in a blue moon by older car enthusiasts, the high performance turbo cars were not affordable amongst the younger ones and there's no way they could afford the big $$$ to make their v8's stand out. Times have clearly changed where a 17 year old can now afford a car that they clearly cannot handle. This very fact is why we have the extra heat on the import car scene these days......teenager killed in WRX is a perfect example.

I do have a possible solution though that may satisfy both camps.

A short while ago I had a chance to catch up with the organizers of the biggest regular cruises in Adelaide, Grant & Stephanie Zippel (they're older than me, lol).

He has regular meets, once a month, without the dramas of police and unwarranted tag alongs.

This is a direct quote from Grant Zippel:

I think we can learn from those that have had success with this sort of thing but IMO, I think the SAU tag must be dropped from any privately organized cruise in the immediate future, or at least till this latest heat dissipates.

SLED is spot on i have regualry attened what we call the "Zippel" cruise for american cars and hot rods. Hundreds of cars (250 to 350) every cruise.

Cops are always notified and do show there faces ON OCCASION not everytime. And the reputation they have has come from YEARS of runs with no dramas. Not over night

And 90% of the cars there are as if not more defectable then our cars. Yet the cops never EVER EVER defect a car.. never seen 1 out of the 5 years ive been there!! Never asked to pop a bonnet nothing....

In saying this i am a big one for not notifying them! the less they know the better! And a big one for mailed or emailed cruise maps ONLY for people intending to show up. And not to much of an open invertation to ask all of your mates to come along in the commies flacons etc. Zippel asks for no tag alongs for the reason they have a good rep and dont want the idiots tagging along.

Id love to hear them justify the bonnet popping of a few jap cars together then not one on one of these cruises where u could slap a defect notice on almost evry car there......