SAU Community

Should We Put A Stop To Organised 'regular' Cruises

Cubes

Spot on. Modify your car in a smart/stealth way, you won't attract any attention. Spray the front mount black, etc.

Save the chrome for the show cars, which are purposely built to never see the road.

great in theory, bs in practice.

this year my car has only seen maybe 2 months of driving, in this time i have had 3 trips to regency and 1 to a cop shop.

my car has a standard body, is around legal height, has legal wheels, has a legal engine etc etc, in fact the only things i have to change over for regency are things which no cop could ever spot, so from a cops perspective, my car is legal, the things they defected me for were all legal things which i go through regency with.

for the record im the nicest guy to the police, no smart arse comments, nothing, i do not drive like an idiot, in fact i drive like a granny.

so no, if u modify ur car sublty and dont drive like an idiot, you CAN still get picked up.

The only use of a private section would be to stop commonwhores, etc rocking up. I'm sure the police have many ways to get around any "private" section.

not really, besides spamming, which is pretty obvious.

they could do it, its just whether they'd go to the effort of doing it.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ive been to some great cruises which have notified the cops, was awesome knowing that they werent coming after it, also heard about/been on some disasters where cops were set up waiting for the cruise.

i voted for 2, but tbh im changing my mind as well, i think sepration is the way.

ok, ive read most of this thread bar page 9, skim read page 8, and am too lazy to read anything on pg 10, im just posting my thoughts.

ok, there have been some good ideas come up in this thread. the charity cruise idea for example, everyone rocks up, donates a dollar, broadcasts a happy and pleasant image of the club, could go either way though, one slip up and our legitimacy goes out the window.

with regards to neil, im happy for whoever to negotiate with him, i think nene has practically been volunteered, we have to have everything he's offering on the table though. we cant just have him rocking up, popping bonnets and 'warning' people about modifications and road worthiness. thats a) ridiculously 1 sided, and b)discrimination. i know as a whole car enthusiasts, correction, import enthusiasts are discriminated against openly, but if were co operating, it shouldnt be on. if someone f**ks up, they should wear it, simple. but NO ONE else should have to wear it simply for rocking up to a social gathering and then cruising with like minded people.

so i guess im a little split. i want the 'forum community' (cant call it a club, it isnt) to continue to have a public face, and maybe even negotiate a friendly, symbiotic relationship with the police, example, we co operate with the police, the police start pushing for the opening of a low entry cost motorsport park in adelaide, for everyone to go blow off steam, and kill some tyres.

on the other hand, the fact is, part of the community is going to go underground. its simple. i think thats the best option short term, with the above being best option long term.

At the end of the day the people saying that there is no problem with cops coming on cruises and looking over cars have stock (or close to) cars, if they didn't they wouldn't be saying what they are.

So there is no need to cancel the cruises just let us know which ones have had the cops notified and I won't becoming to them and neither will the others on here with modded cars. I can't see what the arguments are about, if the stock car owners are upset at the modded car owners saying that they won't come to the notified cruise then they will never understand and they will never because they haven't spent the money (and in my case) time on there car.

It's kind of like driving your car into a defect station because the cops have said that they won't be defecting you if you don't have and "dangerous" mod's, it's a line in the sand that we have no say over. At the end of the day they aren't engineers so how are they supposed to know what are dangerous and what aren't (apart from the obvious) all they know are ADR's.

Edited by D_Stirls

imo if we co operate with police and see where it goes we may be surprised ( dont hold your breath ) if we go under ground, so to speak, it will cause no end of problems. i have been on 1 cruise organised by kellie, and every 1 was told at the start "if you act like a dick you will be reported to the police". that was with out police present.....if the cops do show up to see what we are doing then see what is said at the start, maybe they will leave sau/sa alone after a few meets.

as for the defects side, i think police should pay more attention to the $200 shit boxes on the roads that have more rust than panels, breaks that dont work, tires that are bald.....these cars are dangerous on the road. from what i have seen/ heard most ppl that own an import are car enthusiests, who spend most of thier time / money upgrading thier car to have better handleing, breaking and road holding. as import owners we should be able to stand proudly beside our cars, not pushed under ground like "bikies". and if you get pulled over for being a tool you should not complain about it, just learn from it.

only my opinion tho.....

just had a quick look at the Poll and it's good to see the way it's going so far IMO.

I'm guessing people that vote for 3 are predominantly the Stag & stock car community.

+1 Pete.

No offence to the stag drivers, but sometimes it seems sometimes you guys have your own thing going, the only ones i ever see at other cruises (regularly) are Ben, Nene and Rubes. I respect that you cars differ somewhat to skylines, but we are all under the same umbrella :) don't get me wrong, i do like stageas, and it will be good if i can get down to the Christmas party to meet a few of you :)

Separation is pointless IMO, that will be the beginning of the end. At least there are glimpses of interest in getting an SAUSA club together, if we separate it kills of any chance of getting the numbers to make anything of the like feasible.

Edited by Damo_R34

dont flame me for waffling on...I just dont want to see this club or the skyline become a thing of the past? has anyone asked the guys in the UK Skyline club how they deal with this issue ?

No point comparing this to the UK. For one, a Skyline is not a common car. And their system of defects or whatever they have would be massively different then what SA or even Australia have.

im in for the idea to start a charity cruise and invite Neil. Show him we arnt all hoons and that we support charities. Doing this may help.

But what happens when we are out of Neils Patrol area and its up to the other traffic police. Surely he cant control the whole of SA's traffic police department.

Spot on!!!

also has neil done this with authority of superiors or after being given instructions to? seems a bit odd he can just say yep im gonna go attend skyline cruises whenever there on.

is he expecting all future cruises for us to wait for him to arrive before leaving :) neva had a regular relationship with an officer just wondering what to expect, i dont want my dinner ive been working hard on all day going to waste :)

Do cops really need to tell someone where they're travelling to if they are just driving around in general? Do they get assigned a designated area to patrol for x amount of time?

if you're using public roads, you're subject to state law, deal with it...

If ur defectable, and you know it clap your hands. Cause you're going to get owned....

Judging by the contents of your signature for the modifications on your car, you, too, should be clapping your hands.

what a joke this has turned into....

think i'll just keep cruising with my mates from now on.

+1. Have been cruising with my mates for at least 2 years now and have never had any issues. I'll still come out on SAU cruises, but when I want a good thrash deep in the hills without the attention, SMS organized cruises work a treat.

ive been to some great cruises which have notified the cops, was awesome knowing that they werent coming after it, also heard about/been on some disasters where cops were set up waiting for the cruise.

i voted for 2, but tbh im changing my mind as well, i think sepration is the way.

Same here. Did you go on the Hardtuned Mega Cruise a few months back? That was HUGE yet the cops didn't mind? We basically filled up over half the West lakes shopping centre carpark!

Yet on other cruises, I've heard cops blocking the exits from meeting spots and stuff like that.

At the end of the day the people saying that there is no problem with cops coming on cruises and looking over cars have stock (or close to) cars, if they didn't they wouldn't be saying what they are.

So there is no need to cancel the cruises just let us know which ones have had the cops notified and I won't becoming to them and neither will the others on here with modded cars. I can't see what the arguments are about, if the stock car owners are upset at the modded car owners saying that they won't come to the notified cruise then they will never understand and they will never because they haven't spent the money (and in my case) time on there car.

It's kind of like driving your car into a defect station because the cops have said that they won't be defecting you if you don't have and "dangerous" mod's, it's a line in the sand that we have no say over. At the end of the day they aren't engineers so how are they supposed to know what are dangerous and what aren't (apart from the obvious) all they know are ADR's.

F*cking bingo. Completely agree.

i didn't vote for 3! and I'm sorry but i think its bullshit. I've tried to stay in the middle and not make any negative comments.. but separation is just plain crap!

I don't want to be restricted to going out on stag cruises..

This talk of going underground.

Since joining SAU back in 2002 the cruises have typically been 'private'. It wasn't until predominately the bunny etc cruises that everything has been above board and this is where the problems have began.

Being above board has generated a fair bit of unwanted attention and is not warranted when we are NOT an official club - look where we are now - The request for police to attend cruise gathering spots and proactively looking for 'dangerous' modifications.

IMO Separation is not a good idea - for the long term benefit of SA/SAU/Forum if a club is ever to get off the ground.

Why is everyone getting so worked up about the "separation" option? It doesn't mean complete separation, it's been happening for ages. Like others have said, they don't go on the major cruises and stick to smaller group and others tend to stick to major cruises but that shouldn't restrict them to that option. Everyone is different and there is no way to stop people from doing their own thing.

Edited by Eddyfier

We go on most cruises...

Exactly....separation in this case (the way I see it) doesn't mean you're limited to going on one type of cruise (i.e Stag cruises) but those who prefer small cruises can do that but shouldn't be limited to that if they want to attend a bigger cruise.

Judging by the contents of your signature for the modifications on your car, you, too, should be clapping your hands.

Ahh yeah I know I have defectable mods; however I've never been defected. And the times I've been pulled over, the police have been champions and not given the car so much as a second glance (I guess I'm in the minority here but I can only speak from my own experiences). If I did get defected tho, you wouldn't find me crying all over my milk, cause I bought the car with most of those mods and if I have to change it, then I will

:)

-D

i think the notion of separation refers to two groups appearing, whose members wont attend the other groups cruises and vice versa.

Yeah, unfortunately separation was the closest option to what I'm getting on about. I'm not suggesting by any means actually separating but just let people go on whatever cruises they want and deal with any consequences that result from it but keep "SAU" out of titles, etc and leave SAU as a club.