SAU Community

Should We Put A Stop To Organised 'regular' Cruises

Cubes

Cheers :P Its a rough idea but it could be improved on - something similar to forums where they have a section purely for paying members(events, technical write ups, discussion etc) - for us requirement could be paying/donation members + a regular on SAU/on cruises/meets?

imo 60 days on the board before being allowed into the section ?

or 60 post minimum ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, i'm willing to email him and talk things through.. with input from other members. For example, suggestions of what points i can add, that people would like to get across to the police, and i'm happy to set up and attend a meeting with Neil, and the fellow SAUers wanting to negotiate. Maybe having a Moderator there would be a good idea. I can draft up an email tomorrow night and go from there...

Whats everyone's thoughts?

Agreed, anyone who wants to discuss the email and is willing to contribute constructive input pm me your email addresses, ill do up a rough draft and get your opinion on any changes that should be made.

I'll keep all of those involved, informed on progress, and we can then arrange a meeting with the police.

i rarely come on these cruises coz i dont like driving roads i can do in my daily. but every single cruise had the same meeting point.. hello! cops arnt dumb. i saw cops hanging around there months ago, that should be a cue to find a new place. if not ur bringing it onto urself.

been saying this forever but no one takes notice.. meet near hills then thrash! no cops, no probs.

i rarely come on these cruises coz i dont like driving roads i can do in my daily. but every single cruise had the same meeting point.. hello! cops arnt dumb. i saw cops hanging around there months ago, that should be a cue to find a new place. if not ur bringing it onto urself.

been saying this forever but no one takes notice.. meet near hills then thrash! no cops, no probs.

Well why dont you start doing instead of just saying??? Organise one and i'll come.

I think SAU cruises have become too common.

I think the old system of private PMs, private meet spots and times, discreet places (not cruising Anzacs or the Bay on a Fri or Sat night), and no friends cars/hanger-onners/non-Skylines (unless established forum members).

I think it is very unreasonable for the police to need to be notified of any of our activities.

If they see us doing illegal things on a cruise, then pull us over and fine/defect us, fair enough. But to be popping all bonnets is just ridiculous and borderline victimisation.

If the government really gave a toss about kids getting killed on our roads they would 1). Allow/force free defensive driver training courses, and 2). build us a drag strip so we actually have somewhere to blow off steam.

If the government really gave a toss about kids getting killed on our roads they would 1). Allow/force free defensive driver training courses, and 2). build us a drag strip so we actually have somewhere to blow off steam.

QFT

werent they going to build a motorsport park somewhere or something ?

By all means have a meeting with this particular officer, Neil.

I would suggest asking things along the lines of:

Is his point of view one that is supported by SAPOL across the board, just him personally, or a select few at the station he is currently based at - this is paramount to the entire topic.

Are they (SAPOL in general) interested in showing tolerance in the areas of performance modifications (within reason) in return for fostering a positive and sensible approach to driving cars like ours on public roads.

Would they be content to merely show a presence at cruise events and, providing people are behaving, allow cruises to proceed without conducting defect blitzes, compiling rego' lists, and other general negative stereotype behaviour.

I'm sure I could think of numerous additional suggestions, but it's late, I have an early start tomorrow, and it's been a long day.

I can't help but think that, if we (SAU) as a group are generally well behaved, wouldn't it be a better idea to focus on targeting other more 'rogue' groups and attempting to re-educate those that warrant it. Weed out the problem elements via rego lists and defect checks... make it tough for those that abuse the privilege of driving a motor vehicle in this country and show a level of tolerance for those that modify and yet can apply common sense and maturity.

I totally agree with what you and dean are saying matt... but do you think its better to try and do something constructive with what's happened? to attempt to resolve the current issue even if its just in for the short term??

You know that, I know that, and a reasonable number of other contributors in this thread know that...

It's also why I wrote earlier in the thread about the youth hoon stigma attached to Japanese import cars. It only takes one person to bring things undone. And the chances of that happening? It's a case of when, not if.

Definitely try to find a middle ground but if they simply cannot leave the meet spots alone (providing every one is well behaved) then its probably wise those who have organised cruises in the past and are known by the police wash their hands and take a step back for their own good.

If Neil is 'expecting' to be notified he won't be happy if the previous organisers have stated they will notify him and then don't.

Its not a worry for those with stockish cars but those with 'excessively modified' (and a larger turbo will fall in to the category) it is most definitely a worry.

Thats all I have to add. Now lets concentrate on this email for Neil to hopefully sort out this mess.

Nene, I can understand what you're saying, it is indeed an opportunity to make something positive happen between a car enthusiast group and local enforcement, I'm just not sure how far-reaching 'their' side of the equation is.

It's a tough one, that's for sure.

Perhaps look at it as a short term thing, as you've suggested, and if you really want to be pro-active and approach Neil, do so armed with the right questions. What are they expecting of us, what will they tolerate from a modifying perspective, are they content to observe at a distance, do they intend to conduct regular roadworthy checks etc.

I'm off to bed, I'll have a bit more of a think about and see what else people come up with.

Well why dont you start doing instead of just saying??? Organise one and i'll come.

i used to organise cruises all the time. had a few with 70 car's turning out. and never had cop issues. but the car scene changed. people were too scared to risk their cars. and the ones who do go out just pose. so yeah i dont bother anymore. would love to plan a decent cruise if there was enough support.

are we all a bunch of quiters or sumthing? the only reason sau/sa hasnt taken off aswell is because people cant take the different types of personalities on here... were all different... we all do diff stuff to our cars (just to scratch the surface) half the fun of cruising is actualy chatting and seeing what eles people have done to there cars. helping with problems etc etc etc. im allways up for a stag cruise and i no that alot of the regulars/'high up' people will back me in saying that were all harmless aslong as we understand the rules. if your a wanker... ull deal with it.

cops arnt stupid they know what we do even if they dont show it. neil clearly said he doesnt have a problem with us doing what we love aslong as we are safe.. his job isnt to go around n kill of the car scean... he can if he likes... but hes ment to go around n keep us safe from all the other tools. i believe in PMs for meet spots only. if your all civil whats there to hide, if you cant hack going to regency... dont come... its an import thats clearly what comes with being the owner!

my 5c worth...

ps... not sure if any one was less that amazed with sundays cruise... couldnt have been better imo!

looks like they've dumped it all in your lap Nene.........good on you for wanting to get this resolved.

I'd like to know with what authority this Neil fella is coming to you with, ie what is his ranking? (at the end of the day his hands may be tied to do anything for you).....is this part of a wider program that he and other teams are involved in or he a standalone?........if he's not a high ranking officer, does he have the backing of the station's Sarge?.........and ultimately, what is his agenda or vision for an outcome from his involvement.

I'm sure he has a life of his own and won't always be on duty during cruises so who attends on those particular nights and who can guarantee the same leniency.

condition of liscence... this p2 bullshit with playing playstation for 5 mins with out hitting a granny crossing the rd is so pointless imo! touchy subject but i think the bottom line is... if you want to b stupid.. you will pay the price... us saying aahh us with turbo "the size of your head" :P will get done la la la... if your not a wanker.. you will b fine. we have to prove were not as bad as we seam...

****turbos dont go fast with out the drivers permission!!!*****

looks like they've dumped it all in your lap Nene.........good on you for wanting to get this resolved.

I'd like to know with what authority this Neil fella is coming to you with, ie what is his ranking? (at the end of the day his hands may be tied to do anything for you).....is this part of a wider program that he and other teams are involved in or he a standalone?........if he's not a high ranking officer, does he have the backing of the station's Sarge?.........and ultimately, what is his agenda or vision for an outcome from his involvement.

I'm sure he has a life of his own and won't always be on duty during cruises so who attends on those particular nights and who can guarantee the same leniency.

all great points to be addressed Pete, In particular about who would be stepping into his shoes when we need to correspond with him and its his day/night off.

I'll take all points mentioned above and compile them in the email, and see what Neil's thought are on a meeting from there. Feel free everyone to post up your input.

Fingers crossed it takes some of the pressure off us law upholding SAUers :P ... for now anyway.