SAU Community

Should We Put A Stop To Organised 'regular' Cruises

Cubes

some food for thought...

i visited a well known workshop last week that has some highly modified cars and i was hard pressed to identify that they had been modded at all. The local police have even been in contact with them and have let him know they are happy to work with him as he is seen to be doing the right thing in regards to modification. The days of big shiny front mounts, polished pipe work, pods, atmo BOV's etc are numbered. I took a drive in a 450AWKW GTR and it appeared stock, idled like a stocker and was more quiet than some of the stockers ive seen and would have passed an EPA emissions test with flying colours. Modifiers have to see the writing on the wall and change the way we do things or it will only get more painful for owners as its going to get worse not better.

that way who cares of the police attend criuses as even the most stringent tests will have them left with nothing but apoligies.

hope this wasn't too off topic

EDIT: some LAC's (local area commands) have a mandtory pull over and inspect rule for Skyline imports...why?...because they have over 80% success rate with issueing defects/fines when they do...its an easy way to get the quota up.

Edited by DiRTgarage

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to see some common sense thought and logical ideas coming through here....

Level heads must prevail. Nene, I think you will be a great ambassador for SAU but don't feel its all on you to do everything.

I would be available if you want my input here too and will pm you my email addy.

I feel that it is definitely worth the shot to build a relationship with the authorities which may develop in time to a point where an SAU sticker is a sign to the police to 'go easy' as the owner is part of a responsible organisation...(obviously not a get out of jail free card - do the crime do the time!)

Perhaps those that are most concerned about defects should lay low from SAU cruises until the police agenda/direction is more apparent?

Guys,

being from WA i am not privy to your problems first hand but I have read your thread with interest and can assure you that we at www.perthstreetbikes.com have had this problem for many years, mainly caused by a few acting like wankers ruining it for the rest.

We used to have a 'certified' sub forum.

It was started by a mod, and the other mods were allowed to enter by being given access rights the rest did not have.

People then applied to be allowed access. If they were known by a mod, the mod had to sponsor that person in.

If the person was not known by any of the mods, that person would need to attend 2 certified events and personally meet and chat with a mod who would then sponsor the person.

It worked well for a number of years and we had no unwanted attention from the law. Then we got too big and the numbers blew out and the rules were not followed so in the end it was shut. One day we might get it up and running again but if you guys seriously implement the rules, it does work, the certified members must keep it quiet from the others though.

One certified member can introduce an uncertified member to a mod to try and speed up the process, you just need to make sure you are not letting unwanted people in there, this includes irresponsible people that could ruin it.

As for notifying police, I think that is uncalled for unless what you are organising is going to be so huge to impact on the general public - ie, 500 cars in one place, definitely need to notify, 25 or 30, no way, why should you?

You also need to contact someone fairly high up in the Police service and reach an understanding so that you develop the relationship b/w your members and the police not ruin it and for this the Police should be invited to attend. If a car has metal threads hanging from the tyres, no exhaust etc, then it should be stickered, but there should not be an open season full blown vehicle inspection because that is abusing the relationship.

If you work at it with the right cop who issues a mandate, then it should work.

We recently had amonthly coffee ride with members of our Police service and it really went some ways to mending the relationship - it helped that the dep police commissioner is a bike nut although recently all that hard work was undone when the Police did a full on blitz on bike fender eliminators - whoever heard of a fender eliminator causing injury or death.

It's a well known fact that cops look at SAU. Neil has been on here, but no, that's not how he found out about the cruise. It's stated in another thread that he was called after a marked cop car drove by.

i reckon somone on here read about the cruise, all due respect to the stag but as if rolling past a bunch of shagon wagons would spark a they look like a bunch of hoons lets check out their engines.

i didnt even know what the hell a stag was untill i seen 1 rock up on a cruise and pop the hood as if your average cop would

Edited by Inline 6

i reckon somone on here read about the cruise, all due respect to the stag but as if rolling past a bunch of shagon wagons would spark a they look like a bunch of hoons lets check out their engines.

i didnt even know what the hell a stag was untill i seen 1 rock up on a cruise and pop the hood as if your average cop would

If they see 25 of the same make/model of any car sitting together(and associated crowd of people) I am sure they would have a nosey...

Edited by HOSTILE

And, by having a 'locked' sub section in the forum is useless. You'll get 'undercover' cops signing in on user names with more than the required amount of posts and taking a squiz at the forum. Just stick to PM's or SMS's about cruises.

Its not useless - I never mentioned post counts - any 5 year old can accumulate a certain amount of post. You could also have undercover cops signing up and requesting to have PMs or SMS sent to them... As R34kid mentioned - it'd be something the Moderators do to filter out the regular members from the trouble makers.

Good post Simon from Perth.....I agree with alot of what you have to say.

Martin, I agree with your comments about Nene, she doesn't seem to get flustered & throw her hands in the air at the 1st sign of dissension.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet but I'm replying here now after I saw Nene's post that she has Neils email address. I was thinking maybe one of the moderators of SAU should email him. Showing that there is some structure to our forum and its not just silly teenagers hooning around the place in skylines.

That idea has nothing against you Nene but I think it might show some organisation and show that this issue is being discussed by every active member of the SAU-SA forum.

Also on Vu's idea of the private events section. Maybe make it password protected? Only give the password out to active cruisers in person (so people actually out on a SAU cruise ask for it or something)

That idea has nothing against you Nene but I think it might show some organisation and show that this issue is being discussed by every active member of the SAU-SA forum.

Also on Vu's idea of the private events section. Maybe make it password protected? Only give the password out to active cruisers in person (so people actually out on a SAU cruise ask for it or something)

Thats a good idea Jarrad, but we could also Nominate Nene as SAU SA's spokesperson, that makes it a bit more official.

And with passwords, way to easy to just pass on to people, it would definately have to work by sending application to moderators.

The only problem with this "private" sub-forum is that the police would be able to access it without much difficulty if they really wanted.

I don't see how having the police along to meet points on the more stocker cruises is a bad thing. By having them along and showing some co-operation surely it will make them look less at skylines as a whole and show them that we are responsible.

I understand that we don't need supervision, but if we just went with this for our regular meets etc, i'm sure we would build a repour(spelling) with the police, something that I have seen done in the past.

Yes i know it leaves the modified cars out of the loop for a little while but once the trust has been built, and the police seeing that we are true enthusiasts, not hoons I'm sure things will relax.

Maybe we should have a group of people tagged as our "events co-ordinators". So maybe Nene, Ruby and Kellie will be our SAU event co-ordinators and they converse with the police and build a secure relationship with them.

Then every so often we should let the police know of organised cruises, but maybe have them on a Sunday afternoon and a gold coin donation, all the money goes to charity and invite the police and off-duty officers to come along and help out. That will show that SAU is trying to help the community and hopefully take us out of the "hoon" group and into the likes of some of the other car/bike clubs of SA.

My girlfriends mum is apart of the Cruiser Club of SA and they have weekly country cruises of 80-100+ cruisers go out and they get no looks from the police at all. Obviously its different to us, but showing alittle bit of organisation of us will go along way in showing that we aren't just hoons.

Pete, I would even go so far as to suggest that some of the cars on this forum have had up to 3 years worth of above average wages put into them over the past half a decade or more. Should these types of cars be defected, they will NEVER see the road again.

lol Nick, I don't know where to even start with your post.

Nick there are some members here that have spent up to a years wage on their rides....if they were to get defected on one of these cruises, it could mean almost as much money to return their car to stock (if it ever gets back on the road again). For some of you, it's your daily, how will you get to school or work when your car is off the road for up to 6 months?!

Yes, I think you're being a little naive and yes, I do think this thread is warranted for those very reasons.