SAU Community

Should We Put A Stop To Organised 'regular' Cruises

Cubes

i have upgraded to stock r34 gtt front and rear brakes. are they engineered and certifified? no not at this point. i wont be doing my turbo conversion for a while, i dont have the money atm to do, and yes i have looked at everything........

who said a stock r34 gtt engine has to enginered and certified? it dosent..........just need to be approved for roadwortheness....plus transport sa let u know of anything u have to do to make sure ur car is up to level it needs to be at for the stock gtt engine.

Well, that depends on who you speak to at Regency Park and which Transport SA approved engineer you speak with.

Have you tried ringing them (Transport SA standards) a few times about the exact same issue, I have, and I got three completely different answers. The Transport SA approved engineer gave me advice that two Transport SA standards department employees contradicted - a third one agreed with the engineer.

Transport SA can't even find a common ground with regards to light vehicle modifications within their own department and engineers. Good luck getting to a point with your car that you are completely in compliance with SA road regulations in regards to light vehicle modifications.

This is the crux of the whole defects/SAPOL issue.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been pulled over on numerous times and never have been asked to pop my hood.

I was warned with a defect for dark tint of which I peeled off and that was it.

Cara..

Did you have your NOS bottle in the boot? :P

I'm sure that would have attracted a fairly hefty defect.

What sort of things did he point out? All minor I presume being NASP.

I think people are starting to loose a bit of focus here, and the last page of almost blatant discrimination probably doesnt help =\

the major point we should all be considering is if we had told sapol to go stick it, what would have happened to Cara despite the posibility that she may not have even read this thread or had been aware of Neil?

thats the ultimatium he is offering, with or aganst??

and for all of you that have got lots of mods to their cars i would have thought the most striking thing about Caras post was the fact that despite her driving or that she was only just going to the bank in the middle of the day this police man asked to pop her hood... like sled said, thats victimisation right there!!!! yet everyone seems to be off on some tangent that cara might have one of the worst/most dangerous defects out thieir, or what'll she do it she gets a turbo upgrade???

i mean, get angry about it by all means, what appears to be happening here is WRONG!!! but dont direct it at other fourm members, we are all in the same boat, and who says sapol wont just invite themselfs to the next dyno day instead??

So many good ideas and comments, some not so wise ones as well ?, Im sure I can speak for some of the older guys who have seen the cops crack down on cars and cruises in the past, In OZ and the States as well. every few years it seems..lol

I know I joined this club to meet friends and talk about cars etc. a common ground similar to the Holden/Ford clubs passion, or even the Hot rods or classic cars. "we love cars and the ability to be creative in modding them" some of us aren’t narrow minded and understand the amount of blood ,sweat and tears that go into hot rods even if we don’t drive one we are respectful to the passion of cars?. Because most of those clubs are run by older guys who don’t hoon around and often do charity work for cancer etc? They garner respect from people by showing respect and responsibility to others in the community. Not by drifting thru a side street or going Underground racing in the hills?

I'm not bagging anyone but to head 40+ cars into the hills is going to attract attention of the unwanted kind if it’s not a cruise with a cause IE.Donations to the good of the community? And publicized as such? I know it a pain to organize donations but it would show a positive aspect of car clubs. And if you can afford the big turbo etc a few dollars donation won’t put you in the poor house. This is just a suggestion no flaming required. But has anyone thought about the media attention in a positive way? Promoting car clubs in a good way, keeping kids from being hoons on weekends, because of self policing from others in the group? Another big one is keep the booze/drugs at home not involve it in the car cruise scene? Keep the stereos turned down in local housing areas, if your car is defectable because it’s unsafe, sorry but you need to get done. If it’s because of something silly or a cop on a mission that’s the wrong thing.

The cops should step back and work with the SAU group, there are a lot of Jap import cars creating a lot of money in OZ on mods, and taxes regos etc. it’s wrong to pick skylines out as 80% defectable that is similar to racial targeting in a way? Im sure Holdens or Ford would exceed the defects 100 times over due the amount of cars on the road.a lot of worn out thrashed ones. plus since when did cops become Auto Engineers as well ? How do we take the power away from cops to defect cars for anything besides broken windows, worn tires,turnsginals, or excessive emissions’ (visible) etc

regency is a money maker for the state simple as that?

If we can take an adult professional approach to the club scene working with the Police instead of playing the defect game with them.I'm sure there are cops with hi po cars out there that would support this approach too? By going underground it’s just going to create more problems and give SAU the Fast and furious stigma of racing at night etc. And yes I’m sick of the constant look over by the cops, not doing a damn thing wrong. but I've been thru RBT's and never given a second look over the car , even with the gauge pod on the pillar. (which is being removed this week.LOL)

I know its the street racer persona that is causing the problems, 400hp when your 18 with 5 mates in your car is a bad idea add booze or drugs its a death sentence any car can kill, slow or fast but the media jumps on the bandwagon in a bad way when its a Hi Po car, jap cars are even worse. some of it is the people stealing them for crimes as well ? lets get control of the media and show them this is a responsible car club who respects others ? just an idea?

Keep the club alive take a step forward not backwards by going underground?

dont flame me for waffling on...I just dont want to see this club or the skyline become a thing of the past? has anyone asked the guys in the UK Skyline club how they deal with this issue ?

I think people are starting to loose a bit of focus here

Not really....

Cara's quote.

look i really think u all need to stop being so paranoid and maybe acutally realise that there is a cop out there that does want to help us, he pointed out a few things on my car that i need to get fixed - things he could have easily defected me for, but he didnt.... i had a really good chat to him and i really think we should just give him a chance.

A chance to find out whats defectable or what they pick up on...... BUT

Neil rocks up to our cruise inspects every car, warns us. All fine and dandy.

Then next time what happens... Driving down the road 2 weeks later, your pulled over as your now on file. VIS takes place but nothing has been 'returned to stock or fixed' so what is going to happen. Defect!

Or the next cruise nice and easy your there for the picking - Car is inspected nothings changed and defect.

Don't think thats the way it 'doesn't' work because sadly it DOES. It is their duty of care

i acutally mentioned that to neil and that is not how it will be done........................

i'm hoping this is the case but unless it is in writing it's nothing more than hearsay. i'm all for working with the police, just don't want to see them crossing lines that are already blurry between helping us and helping themselves.

i'm surprised sundays event has caused such a stir in the scene though, if you were there you would have understood that it was quite harmless - at first there was some aggitation from the police in response to the abuse thread a month or so back but after a talk through with kell and the others a simple (i quote SIMPLE) check was done, advice given out on 'dangerous issues' and we were let on our way to enjoy our day. it could have gone MUCH worse and many stickers handed out.

the idea put forward about charity cruises goes down well in my books and i'm all for donating to any worthy cause - whats a few bucks here and there anyway? most of you can afford to put your foot down for a quick squirt and waste some fuel so i'm sure you can spare the small change in your centre consol.. if not more :P

I agree !!! I'll pass one details one file? BIG Brother policing ? kinda sounds like a group in WWII who took details of others and used it against them when the time was ripe? and dont think it wont happen cause it will.

Its the result of the stag cruise and Neils agreement for future events that has caused a stir.

That being where it was negotiated that Neil would attend future Bunny cruises and inspect for dangerous/excessive (as ruby put it) mods.

Obviously these cruises are attracting a fair bit of attention by the police which is not good for the SAU community.

So what to do?

1. Ban those 'titled' cruises and make it a little more private

or

2. Work with the police to try and find a middle ground (clarify) as hood popping and having to past a scrutineers looking for dangerous/excessive mods before going on a cruise really would suck.

In saying BAN its not a ban in a typical sense.

If Kellie were to go back on her negotiations with Neil no doubt he would not be too happy.

With that in mind IMO for Kellies sake it would be best she step back and take a back seat for a while but really thats up to her and depends on how the discussion with Neil goes. :P

Hopefully it all goes well and we earn trust that we are not hoons.

BUT all it takes is for some numb nut to weave in and out of traffic with an SAU sticker and all the hard work is undone.

Of which does happen as there has been a post where some one saw such a thing occurring and called them a wanker.

Things are starting to go around in circles now anyway as all this has been said before. :)

I would like to know what the cops are willing to do for us??? Maybe they could help us try to get somewhere for us to drag race our cars, it would be awesome if they would sign a petition or something to help us out.

If Kellie were to go back on her negotiations with Neil no doubt he would not be too happy.

With that in mind IMO for Kellies sake it would be best she step back and take a back seat for a while but really thats up to her and depends on how the discussion with Neil goes. :P

Things are starting to go around in circles now anyway as all this has been said before. :)

Kell won't be talking with Neil at all cubes... she has some personal stuff to deal with, so she won't be on the scene for a little while unfortunately.

im in for the idea to start a charity cruise and invite Neil. Show him we arnt all hoons and that we support charities. Doing this may help.

But what happens when we are out of Neils Patrol area and its up to the other traffic police. Surely he cant control the whole of SA's traffic police department.

let me just add 'WE' all hoon every day, NOW let me clarify HOON

Hoon = speed upto the speed limit in such a manner that the general public cant (not even braking traction)

Hoon = louder than normal exhaust

Hoon = you made me turn my neck as i was walking down the street to see you, you must be hooning (again not braking traction)

braking the hoon stereotype is not going to be easy

also has neil done this with authority of superiors or after being given instructions to? seems a bit odd he can just say yep im gonna go attend skyline cruises whenever there on.

is he expecting all future cruises for us to wait for him to arrive before leaving :P neva had a regular relationship with an officer just wondering what to expect, i dont want my dinner ive been working hard on all day going to waste :)

Edited by Inline 6

lol @ page 7

No one is saying going underground is the only alternative. Regular weekly cruises under the SAU banner, where sapol has been informed, have the potential (as Cubes said) to end up on ACA or TT if just 1 idiot stuffs up in a big way..........that would surely reflect on SAU's reputation and could be its death knock.

Now that's not to say weekly cruises aren't possible, just make them private and keep them to email lists. The recent Stag cruise worked because of its infrequent nature......have one every week and see if it is as successful.

Cruises under the SAU banner (IMO) could take place on a monthly or bi-monthly basis with the possibility of a specific cause or charity event attached where sapol may look more favourably upon them........and organized by either a mod or elected members.

The reason the Zippel Cruises have had so much success is because of the email list contact arrangement and because the average age of the participants is between 40 & 50.

You're kidding yourself if you think some of their rides aren't seriously defectable and in your face......yet, age + no hooning = no sapol intervention.

Not really....

A chance to find out whats defectable or what they pick up on...... BUT

i've never said let him pop hoods, has anyone said that? and i dont think anyone else here wants that to happen??? seriousaly!

and most of us know that once we get that X next to our name/car were just bigger targets

as for regular cruises, what was the gap between bunny cruise 6 and 7? then 7 and 8? we dont normally have regular cruises and once again, for the people the cant seem to read or are too self absorbed: the facts of what is happening is about sticking it to sapol or not, and im not happy for a few member who mostly dont even attend SAU events to say that SAU is against the police and that all of our skylines are now targets!!!

what are you going to say to Neil "sorry we cant have you attend a cruise coz SAU has 'banned' them, but dont look on our fourms becuase we still actually have them"? im pritty sure that is just asking for trouble! am i the only person who can see that?

Cruises posted on SAU shouldn't carry the SAU name only the cruises organised by SAU officials should carry the SAU name (Same as what occurs on NS.com). I never thought that the cruises advertised on here had anything to do with the forum apart from the fact that is where they were advertised, i surprised now to hear that people though that they are official SAU cruises and i would be interested what the owner of the forum/website thinks about this if infact it is the case.

Edited by D_Stirls