SAU Community

Gt35r Vs Garrett T04z - Discussion (just Post In This Thread To Create A Database)

Tomek

I ran a GT35 .82 then swapped to a twin scroll T04z with correct built manifold on my built RB25, in my car the T04z is more responsive than the GT35 and is also smoother coming into boost, I am now seeing .5bar up to 250rpm earlier than the GT35 and in boost the T04z is night and day compared... so much so that at 2bar I now drive in fear more than fun... even in low boost i FAR prefer the "fluid" feeling of the T04z compared to the on off switch GT35 which also shows its self in the added traction I now have in low boost at 1bar

What kind of manifold did you have with the GT35R - any chance that it was less than ideal? Do you have dyno plots or anything to back up what you're saying? Its at odds with most I have experienced and seen but if it turns out a T04Z can be some how made to be better spooling than a smaller turbo with newer design then its always worth looking at :thumbsup:

both manifolds were custom, only major differences is one was single inlet and the T04z is running full twin scroll which is what I attribute most of the spool up gains from (also ran a 100mm dp with the T04 and only 76mm with the GT35 on the same exhaust)

Only have one rickety ass dyno in this town, doesnt bother me though because all the tuning is done on street...

For me running the motor in an S14 it made a MASSIVE difference in the drivability and tractability coming into boost,,, should have some video of both actualy, ill scratch it out and post it.

Purchased my 35R today, got a great price on it :thumbsup: . Went with the 1.06 (I HAVE the option of changing to 0.82), looking forward to the eventual fitment :D

Any more info on this car mate?

FAT GTR

2.6L

Eagle rods

CP pistons

262 Tomei cams

Fantasy manifold

Single Billet Z-P turbo with 1.06 A/R open exhaust housing

Custom Fantasy Intercooler

Apexi Power FC

awesome

when you throwing it on the car?

Mine is strapped on the car on the 6boost manifold, will be tuned in the next few days i hope.

35R 0.82 rear. will post dyno sheets in here... :(

Not for a while yet, on holidays atm for 2 months.

Motor and set-up will be ready in 3 weeks, then it's a matter of getting the car to rolling spec, throwing it on a truck and leaving it with the mechanic for another few weeks. Sometime March perhaps :)

I had a TO4z on a standard stroke rb26 that i tracked.

For ur intended purpose I wouldn't bother going TO4z.

I can't comment on the smaller single turbo's since i have had no experience with these on my car.

I now have -5's.

Average power much better than with T04z and more streetable too.

As someone said previously, u can't race a dyno number.

It's about average power on the circuit.

Cars with 70rwkw less than me (these were tt gtr's) were breaking away coming out of slower corners and i would catch up to them by the next corner and then the process would repeat itself...was frustrating....unless there was a long straight on that circuit in which case i could stretch its legs and pass.

Response in any gear from lower rpm MUCH better with twins compared to having the TO4z.

TO4z would be ideal on a 3ltr.

Did i say TO4z enought times????

My experiences....

And having been a passenger and driven your car i cant say i agree with Cerbera about the scary or the super impressive. The car was damn quick, but i was surprised by how doughy the thing was and then when it came on it was very linear...its didnt really hit. Didnt drive like i expected as it didnt have that god almighty rush in the top end that paid back for the patience you needed to show to get it on song

Hi all,

I've read this thread from start to finish and I'm quite impressed by it's content. Nice work everyone! I too am looking at upgrading my factory twins to a bigger single to make between 400 and 480hp (just gross estimate for now). The first turbo I had recommended to me was a T04z which is why I read this thread back to front.

A lot of you say it will run OK on a stock Rb26 but a lot of you also say it's much better for a 3L engine and would be quite laggy on the lesser 2.6L.

However, one thing....what if you rain the T04z with a .7 bum? How would that go? You think it'd spool a bit lower than 4000rpm?

I agree with one of the comments above that if you go to all these length of setting up a single unit then you should go for bigger figures. I was leaning towards the GT3076r but am wondering if you'd be better off with the 35r as above.

Just too many options out there - if only you could passenger in the car that has the turbos....04, 35r, 3076 etc

But yeh, if someone could comment on the bum end ratio of a T04z that would be awesome. My mechanic suggested 0.7 as mentioned before....what do you all make of it???

Cheers

Tom

PS - yes, I have considered a set of 2560's which would be far cheaper and less of a hassle. A lot of people have asked me why I just don't go with them so yeh.... :)

I have a T04Z T3 .82 Turbine on my SR20DET. Did 502whp on 93 octane. Havnt gotten it tuned for higher. Im probably gonna run a TS T04z on the RB25 with a 6Boost Manifold. Spool and Response should be very quick and make 700hp.

will be getting mine tuned soon although its 26/30, but from the same set ups (26/30 t04z 1.00) performed by the guys doing mine theyve seen the 1.00 t04z on 20psi at 3500-3600rpm... wont back MY car up 100% till i get the dyno done. so youd think on a 2.6L if u went the smaller housings it should be fine. hmmm

Edited by 2BNVS

yeah some of the garrett housings don't come in twin scroll.

But HKS do a .61 rear which i'm pretty sure is twin scroll.

I want to get one of these and then compare to the .81 and the 1.00 i already have.

Yes the .61 with twin scroll would be the ultimate for a 2.6L engine....seeing that normally, the T04z is more ideally suited for a 3L motor. With the .61/twin scroll you should be spared from real bad lag....maybe it'd start to spool at say 3700rpm or so rather than 4000???

Public Enemy, do you run those other two turbos on a factory 26?

will be getting mine tuned soon although its 26/30, but from the same set ups (26/30 t04z 1.00) performed by the guys doing mine theyve seen the 1.00 t04z on 20psi at 3500-3600rpm... wont back MY car up 100% till i get the dyno done. so youd think on a 2.6L if u went the smaller housings it should be fine. hmmm

Yeh, you' think so. Especially if you went for the twin scroll etc like KB240RB pointed out.

Yes the .61 with twin scroll would be the ultimate for a 2.6L engine....seeing that normally, the T04z is more ideally suited for a 3L motor. With the .61/twin scroll you should be spared from real bad lag....maybe it'd start to spool at say 3700rpm or so rather than 4000???

Public Enemy, do you run those other two turbos on a factory 26?

Nar mines a 2.8.

Haven't tried the 1.00 yet just the .81 and i'm struggling to get the response some other people are getting with the .81 but i'm hoping this will improve with more timing and tuning.

Hi all,

I've read this thread from start to finish and I'm quite impressed by it's content. Nice work everyone! I too am looking at upgrading my factory twins to a bigger single to make between 400 and 480hp (just gross estimate for now). The first turbo I had recommended to me was a T04z which is why I read this thread back to front.

A lot of you say it will run OK on a stock Rb26 but a lot of you also say it's much better for a 3L engine and would be quite laggy on the lesser 2.6L.

However, one thing....what if you rain the T04z with a .7 bum? How would that go? You think it'd spool a bit lower than 4000rpm?

I agree with one of the comments above that if you go to all these length of setting up a single unit then you should go for bigger figures. I was leaning towards the GT3076r but am wondering if you'd be better off with the 35r as above.

Just too many options out there - if only you could passenger in the car that has the turbos....04, 35r, 3076 etc

But yeh, if someone could comment on the bum end ratio of a T04z that would be awesome. My mechanic suggested 0.7 as mentioned before....what do you all make of it???

Cheers

Tom

PS - yes, I have considered a set of 2560's which would be far cheaper and less of a hassle. A lot of people have asked me why I just don't go with them so yeh.... :P

If your goal is 480 HP atw, don't oversize. You don't need a T04Z for that. Go a GT35....

Why have a bigger turbo than you need for your goal...

:P

If your goal is 480 HP atw, don't oversize. You don't need a T04Z for that. Go a GT35....

Why have a bigger turbo than you need for your goal...

:P

X 11ty Mike. 2 lessons that stuck. Use one gear higher than you think you need and one size smaller turbo than you think you need.

agreed

all ur going to be doing is causing more lag

X 11ty Mike. 2 lessons that stuck. Use one gear higher than you think you need and one size smaller turbo than you think you need.

don't revise your turbo choice.. revise your power goals :D