SAU Community

Blow Off In Stock R33 Gts-t

MilkShake

I have not lost any power with blocking the bov in fact it feels better off gear changes and the same goes for putting a pod over the stock airbox

Your pod is unshielded?

If so I guarentee lower power for you.

Unfortunately, actual results are things not 'felt' but, measured.

Get a heat shield on and it should sort it out though. Blocking the stock BOV is the ultimate " look at me" rice-ness all the same.

This is pressurised air trying to go somewhere, boosted air you now don't require because you have backed off/slowed down quickly. The thought is that this air slows your spool up time when you plant the foot again. It might sound faster, but thats about all it is......sound.

And don't forget the damage... ...turbo going backwards = bad...

Mmm you would think that its bad for it, however there is no definitive evidence of damage (none that i know of anyway).

Lots of damage done is to your social image however.

Mmm you would think that its bad for it, however there is no definitive evidence of damage (none that i know of anyway).

Lots of damage done is to your social image however.

How dare you stipulate my meaning based on my vagueness!!!... ;) ...Hahaha... ...Social damage is a given...

One theory I've heard is that because the front side and back side of the turbo turn as one... ...any backwards spinning of the turbo would also stop exhaust gasses from being removed from the cylinders... ...Causing bad detonation... ...and then loss of power...

As for physical damage... ...the stress on the turbo's internals may be minor... ...but over time something could break...

Either way... ...I think it is making the turbo lag greater... ...even if it doesn't feel like it...

Placebo effect???...

ahah social damage? u mean it will lift it everyone luvs it went they hear STUTUTUTUUTUT. I dont think it does any damage with the amount of boost running but even if it did so what it would prob take 10000 kms off my turbo life and thats a price i would pay to have a STUTUT but thats just me as i said some love it some hate it

• 1 year later...

while were on the topic, where can i get a stock plumb back BOV? i have a 'turbosmart plumb back' & really not a fan of the sound, i want to be able to change gears & not be looked at by every person walking there dog. there hard to find i looked on ebay, nothing.. my 'turbosmart plumb back' is set up on the turbo side pipe from the intercooler, has a round hole where it slides on & a nipple with a tube running off it where the air gets released back into the system, can i put a stock BOV on there replacing it or would i have to do a bit of modifying? here is a pic..

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...imageID=3010801

i'll be selling the 'turbosmart BOV' as well so if anyones keen PM me >_<

Edited by azzafreddy

it does not spin backwards

the physics do not support the compressor or exhaust wheel or both spinning backwards with a blocked bov

the noise comes from a mid air collision of pressure that occurs in the pipework

its called compressor surge as the pressure spikes well past what the compressor can supply when the throttle body is closed and there is no BOV (or its blocked)

the excessive pressure makes the wierd chop chop tuutututu noise and places stress on the compressor wheel

If you have a a stock car and stock airbox. You can't really hear the bov, what if you have a POD in an enclosed box? Does it muffle the sound just as much as the stock airbox?

no, just as loud.

if i cant stop the sound of the compressed air getting released back into the system then i guess i've got no choice but to keep it, im more worried about the 'dying the sphincter of the universe' sound tut tut tut tut etc.. id be happy with one 'chhhhh'

Hey mate... I've got a 1995 R33 GTS-T... I aint sure if i have a problem with my BOV... Usually when i rev up my engine and release it the valve opens fully and u hear the BOV go off at full.. But for the same rev it does not now... I also noticed that the cylinder tat moves n releases the pressure does not move much... Is somethin wrong with the blowoff...???

There is obviously a market for someone to make a cd with sucky induction noise and noisy bov sound for those who are that way inclined to amuse themselves without detriment to the car's performance.