SAU Community

Air Con Regassing

livo

has anyone had to do this before?? Does anyone recommend a shop to visit????

ive looked through the yellow pages but if there is a decent place doing it with good service id rather use them.

cheers....

You may need your aircon system converted from R12 gas (now illegal) to R134A (new gas) which can cost quite a bit.

It depends on where you are in Canberra as to which shop to recommend, there are lots of good shops around that can do air con.

converting to the new gas is expensive.....i was quoted prices between $300-$400 to get it get converted and gassed around canberra....

i ended up getting it done when i was in syd for $160 all up..... :rolleyes:

Edited by DaN-E

yeh battery terminal couldnt do it till next week. Wanted it done before i hit the coast tomorrow arvo....

im getting it done at lonsdale auto electrics (lae) close to work.

Hoping its just a regass not a conversion otherwise i'll wait till i go up to sydney and get it done up there...... stuff paying 500 for a conversion.....

there is a direct drop in for r12 its called R49 or R409 both will do the job if done by someone who has a clue, also 134a can be replaced but will more then likely cause seals to go in the compressor, oil and dryer will need replacing as well.

Talking to someone who got a 30 year old fridge freezer to run on 134a lol... lasted 12 months sooo should have put more oil in.

The whole Conversion doesn't cost bugger all if you know what you are doing

R12 to R134a adapters from Ashdowns in fyshwick cost you around $20-30 or cheaper

and a New receiver dryer unit costs around $60 or less I think they are alot less but I cant remember ...

Just have to get someone to decant the old R12 gas out for you ...

Then I wouldn't go with R134a at all I would go the the even newer gas ...

Hychill which is pretty much an LPG style Hydrocarbon refrigerant and you dont have to modify anything to convert to this gas

it is cheaper to regass and the air inside the car gets alot cooler and the compressor is 30% more efficient doesnt have to work as hard ...

And you can release it to the atmosphere and you then dont need an Aircon liscence to regass you own system ...

• 1 month later...

I'm feeling this pain now! They let the gas out for my engine rebuild and now turns out I need a conversion. Can't be assed f**king round so just letting the guys at City Centre Autoelectrical do it for $350

Handy that it's a 5 min walk to work too! Think its another $165 for the gassing... Going to be happy to have air con again but has been nice to have the windows open and listen to the awesomeness of my engine ;)

The whole Conversion doesn't cost bugger all if you know what you are doing

R12 to R134a adapters from Ashdowns in fyshwick cost you around $20-30 or cheaper

and a New receiver dryer unit costs around $60 or less I think they are alot less but I cant remember ...

Just have to get someone to decant the old R12 gas out for you ...

Then I wouldn't go with R134a at all I would go the the even newer gas ...

Hychill which is pretty much an LPG style Hydrocarbon refrigerant and you dont have to modify anything to convert to this gas

it is cheaper to regass and the air inside the car gets alot cooler and the compressor is 30% more efficient doesnt have to work as hard ...

And you can release it to the atmosphere and you then dont need an Aircon liscence to regass you own system ...

Yeah R134a is Absolute Shit !!! Sure it may work ok when you are on a motorway doing 100+ for a good 15 or more minutes. But around the city the car feels like 2 pistons were removed and I can blow cooler air out of my Butt. I have yet to see the car that has been converted to R134a that runs nice and cool in traffic...Need to learn more about this Hychill stuff however.The bullshit stories i hear from Auto electricians amazes me. Stuff like the car can explode if a cigarette is lit in the car, to it keeps your compressor working much more often and then stuffs it. That and it is supposedly dry and stuffs the compressor.. Why they just dont admit it " I have no F*cking idea how Hychill is "

Edited by GTR-32U