SAU Community

Spitting At 5500rpm

Hey guys

Just put all my parts on like intercooler, full exhaust, boost controller. On the test drive it wouldnt go past 5500rpm and made like a spittting sound, really worried whats going on

Any ideas guys?

Go to spare parts shop, buy a set of BCPR7ES's. Gap them to .8 or .75 & install them.- Do not pass go. Do not collect $200

yeh, did that today and it got rid of the spitting problem

pretty odd though, everything is on right, but it looks like the car is running real lean, when we pulled the turbo off, and also the spark plugs, it was a bit white on the inside

i was told anyway that is a sign of it running it lean

getting a ecu to tune but is there a different way to richen it up in mean time,

car was completely stock and put these parts on, and increased the boost, and it feels the same

very odd. Any ideas?

HERE'S MY ADVICE DUDE..and by all means...PLEASE LISTEN!

You're dissapointed right..well so was I.

I had done the exact same mods..and had the exact same faults..

Spitting sound can be either or both of these...

- Spark plugs (Regap them to .8mm)

- Your car is R&R mode (Rich and retard)...your car will do this when a rise of boost is present. The factory ECU is too Safe to let your car run with the extra boost so what it does is put the car in R&R mode which pushes more fuel through your engine to cope with the extra boost so your car is not leaning out.

Be warned..leaving your car in this mode for too long will kill your fuel pump as the pump will be running pretty much from 80% to 100% all the time.

My suggestion and what I did is/are-

- Walbro intank fuel pump rated 550hp

- CAI (cold air intake)

- ECU tune by Toshi $400 road tune. You WILL be amazed by how much more power your car will have...

All in all should cost you an extra $550 - $800 depending on fuel pump.

Stock turbo is capable of around 200rwkw with right mods and tune...

also might want to invest in a adjustable exhaust cam retard @ 4 degrees to move the torque range down low.

This will make boost hit @ 2700rpm with full boost @ around 3800rpm....and it won't drop AT ALL..

Have fun.

RJ

as mentioned above...coil packs

the ignition is not coping well with your increased boost levels.

i was in the exact same spot as you...was spitting like a crazy bitch at around 5250 to 5500rpm.. cleaned 02 sensors, changed plugs, checked fuel, everything. the coil packs on rb20/5's are very brittle and tend to get go after awhile (they are 10 yr's old now) .

SplitFire Coilpacks ~$600 ish will changed your world babycakes :P

listen to me very carefully mate, ive built enough R33's to warrant this information being true and correct

go and buy some coilpacks, JJR, superspark/splitfire, whatever your heart desires, ive ran all three, they are all the same..

then disconnect your battery, pump your brakes for 2 mins solid on and off, with the battery disconected, then leave battery off all night, reconnect in the morning and then drive your car as hard as you can

i suggest doing the ecu reset (by disconnecting the battery like i said) with a full tank of good fuel, vpower etc etc and octane booster

goodluck, had this problem in every 33 ive owned and most of my other 25 powered cars when i started doing mild mods like this

Yep coils packs, you can use the short cuts (gapping plugs) but it's not the best way to go about things.

When you get to much higher boost levels you may have to gap down, but with your current set up you'd be better off with

good coils and a gap of 1.1..It'll rev better especially around the top end.

Oh yes...forgot coilpacks..

And reset ECU!!

Resetting is a must if your car is in R&R mode. Only way to get rid of it.

But if you want the most out of your mods i'd suggest getting your computer re-mapped or get an Apexi-SAFC...atleast something to even out the boost and fuel levels!

With the tune you could gain 20-30rwkw depending on upgrades...it doesn't sound like much..but trust me it is very noticeable!

SS's...XR8's....pffft....you'll beat them EASY by mid 2nd Gear Everyday...