SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

Cjmartz2k

Very interesting read. Also interesting to note those are almost the exact same measurements of my compressor (60mm inducer, 84mm exducer). I wonder if that test will change some minds? :P

*Edit--I just noticed the GT35r they compared it too was a twin scroll housing. Are most of the GT30/35's out there twin scroll?

To my knowledge none of the GT30/35's are twin scroll in their off the shelf format.

ATP modifies the T3 TS GT32 ex housing to suit the 3071/76/GT35. Full-race also is putting together T4 TS footprint ex housings for the GT35. In the above test they are testing a T4 TS GT35 with a T4 TS BW - so its a valid comparison. Presumably both of these twin scroll turbo's will outspool and have better transient response than a generic single scroll GT35.

Edited by juggernaut1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's actually the compressor and turbine design in general. The B-W's with out the extended as well as there cousins (holsets) all have the same characteristic of really outperforming thier garrett counterparts at higher boost levels. I guess it might have to do with originaly being designed to run on a diesel at over 2 bar. I think most of them are mapped to 3 bar. I'm thinking about getting meth injection and punching the boost up to around 2 bar. I'm at 1.7 now with under 20 counts of knock (again, stock bottom end).

**Cliff notes for anybody who didn't feel like clicking that link that juggernaut posted-- Borg-Warner S300 spooled exactly the same if not a little quicker than a twin scroll GT35r and made around 15 more hp starting from the midrange on up on back to back dyno runs on the same car (Evo).

that is a dinosar :P it is of a 6.7 litre cummins powered earth mover. it was designed to diliver a scud of torque at very small rev range. about 2600 to 3200 rpm. it has a strange anti surge ring machined into the compressor housing and the compressor wheel has notches that fit into the ring. on an rb25 it would see boost at around 5500 to 6000 rpm :)

the one you want to go for is a hx35 ;) not one of these

aaaaahhhhhh, i thought it sounded fair big lol.

thanks heaps for the info mate, dont worry i am definatley going a hx35 :D .

just hunting one down at the moment.

thanks everyone for the help,

btw american dollar going down meening these bad boys are getting cheaper for us wooohooo!

im watching the news everyday, the AUSD gets 1cent stronger everyday lol.

Gezza

Personally I think the BW's are the ones to watch , IMO along a bit more modern lines than HE/HX35 Holsets .

Actually it's just occured to me that if you people want to play with cheapish diesel turbos why not revert to the old chestnut T04/60-1 ? There is actually a range of compressors in that family so you don't have to use the 60 trim version if you don't want to .

T4 turbine housings are common in single or twin entry and "T3" or T4 mounting flange sizes .

It's even made with a large frame ball bearing option if you like .

A .

Disco, you refer to them as "old", but they are out performing the "new" GT series in every way I can measure--or do you disagree on that point? Again, looking for good honest opinions. I like having a nice intelligent discussion about these things, so please don't think I'm being argumentative.

I do agree though that the B-W's come on a couple hundred RPM quicker and flow a lb or two more up top. They are a bit more modern design, but what is that performance difference when I can get a used Holset for $200USD compared to a B-W for $1200USD new? I'd go B-W all things being equal, but I'm not rich :banana:

Edited by Cjmartz2k

• 2 months later...
Evo + HX52 = skyline in the rear view.

You are clearly assuming/hoping that the Skyline isn't similarly equipped :P There were Skylines running around on the streets of Japan ten years ago with the same power or more than what you'd make with an EVO with an HX52.

yeah go the dirty truck turbo! hey i almost had a heart attack when i opened the box of my new bullseye power s372!! its massive. im a little worried but we will have to see.

bozodos - What do you mean by the appropriate sizes? Suitable turbine housing size or..? I treat the HX35 as roughly equivalent to a GT30R.

Power to weight ratio........ 4wd advantage for the non R types

Quite keen to see these videos of 7s runs?

bozodos - What do you mean by the appropriate sizes? Suitable turbine housing size or..? I treat the HX35 as roughly equivalent to a GT30R.

Quite keen to see these videos of 7s runs?

Ask and ye shall receive:

Don't mis-quote me. I never said that Skylines don't have potential. Right now I am in the process of building my Evo up (melted a piston and decided to go bigger) to match up with a 1000awhp sexy beast of a GT-R.

They are running Garretts, and that EVO is tube front - there are no tube frame GTRs that I am aware of and Shep last I heard may have given up on the AWD chase.

Edited by Lithium

Holsets are still fairly new (2-3 years old) to street cars. Give it some time and I'm sure you will see some insane cars with them running.

To add to that.

For someone looking to build a preformance car on a budget these are the turbines to use. I have a 800+HP capable turbine and I got it for $100 US + shipping. The GT35R I had on previously was $1300US + shipping and is only rated to 650HP at the top of the map where I was not boosting.

The car we've been tuning recently is a stock 25 block with a 26 head boosting 1.7 bar on the HX52 and maxing out 740CC injectors.

Edited by radix