SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

Mate if you go a few pages prior to page number four that we are on now... Chris aka Cjmartz2k pointed out a few things about those turbos.....which in my opinion makes me now dubious about getting one.....id have a look before jumping in. Also when you read the description of these turbos they describe them as "holset based" they arent holset turbos so ive questioned myself if they are just holset internals stuck into another housing. Why paint them black? wonders if they are second hand housings alsol But please do keep me informed im still looking around at the moment.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you going to run an external wastegate? or does this turbo have an internal wastegate? unsure myself? When do you plan on doing the change mate? Be very interested in the results.....im not going full rb but forged rb30 bottom end and rb26 head fully rebuilt. Chris what do you reckon to the setup?

Just a heads up for those looking for these turbos in Australia,

The HX35W is the OEM turbo for a lot of IVECO trucks. I just picked one up for $150! and it is in MINT condition.

The unit I have here has the following specs:

7 Blade Compressor

V band ompressor cover outlet and no anti surge slots on the inlet

T3 twinscroll Turbine housing

Integrated wastgate with Adjustable actuator!

the plan is to put it on the standard manifold with a 20mm twinscroll spacer that has been knife edged. I will have to fabricate up a dump pipe and some simple intake pipe work but thats about it

the turbo is going on a daily driven R32 with an RB30DET in it. I am aiming at a shade under 300rwkw and having full boost just after 3000. I am hoping on keeping boost below 17psi to acheive this. seeming as the actuator is adjustable it should be doable.

I just need to do some more shopping first and get a set of bigger injectors and a Z32afm.

I am still a bit of a sceptic about it all but sometimes you just have to jump in and see how you go. normally I would steer clear of cheap options but this one looks like a goer. Holset make turbos for the best manufacturers in the world and are designed to last 100's of 1000's of k's their thrust bearings are able to take HUGE loads and a varied oil supply, their compressor maps are wider than anything else available and the wheels are iconnel. all the makings of a good turbo.

And this would not be the first time a diesel truck turbo has been used in hi performance applications

T88

TD06

two of the most ledgendary turbos ever made.

It will be a while before I get it on the car but will post results as soon as its on.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

looking to bring in a hx-35 and hx-40 from gs racing (uk ebay) as it seems the easiest place to get them new in the sizes i want :laugh:

i have dial in (stock computer and pricing) to a huge turbo supplier (mtq) here in aus and i did my head in looking for the right spec and when i did they are about 2000 dollars anyway. Im not sure what rep this GS racing has but i will soon find out. Not a fan of thier black caover up paint jobs but anyhoo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSRACING-GSR-HX40-70...A1%7C240%3A1318

Mate if you go a few pages prior to page number four that we are on now... Chris aka Cjmartz2k pointed out a few things about those turbos.....which in my opinion makes me now dubious about getting one.....id have a look before jumping in. Also when you read the description of these turbos they describe them as "holset based" they arent holset turbos so ive questioned myself if they are just holset internals stuck into another housing. Why paint them black? wonders if they are second hand housings alsol But please do keep me informed im still looking around at the moment.

the rear housing is the theing im chasing most, i want ext gate and cant seem to find the right housing.... im pretty much buying them to get the serial numbers if not i will get MTQ to track down the holset numbers from the samples :laugh:

i also have a feeling they are chinese covers or cores but im only after the ex housings really... the rest is a bonus .

water lines are not needed. they can be blocked off.

the oil drain is the same as standard.

the oil supply line will have to be morified. i have not looked into the right type of fitting yet.

URAS--part numbers -----> http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-syst...hread-only.html

are you going to run an external wastegate? or does this turbo have an internal wastegate? unsure myself? When do you plan on doing the change mate? Be very interested in the results.....im not going full rb but forged rb30 bottom end and rb26 head fully rebuilt. Chris what do you reckon to the setup?

I'm TWIN external 50mm gates to keep the boost in check on mine, but I think it's a manifold design fault. I've heard of some of the DSM guys using the internal gate on their little 2.0L with a custom housing, but I don't think it's an option for us. I think a HX35 on a RB30 would spool SCARY fast. I have 0 experience with RB30's though, so I wouldn't want to guess with no real experience. You lucky aussies and your RB30 blocks :laugh:

Just had this email from one of the guys in the U.S doesnt really give a specific amount of information (none at all to be honest) but ill share with the rest price sounds reasonable Chris but what about the inlet and ex sizes ? think this is going to be a long drawn out project now.....espcially after reading the other link you posted up from that other forum

Hi,

We can get you both rebuilt or used HX40 and HX52 turbos. The rebuilt units come with a warranty of 1 year. The used units are guaranteed to be in good rebuildable condition.

The HX40’s come in several frame sizes or with Bullseye exhaust housings for an additional cost.

Your cost on the rebuilt units is $525 plus shipping on either the HX40 or the HX52. The used HX40 units are $200 plus shipping and the used HX52 units are $135 plus shipping.

And another email recieved but this one is regarding BW with a little more information

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our products. The power you want to acjhieve

with your setup is not too hard. We can go with a Borg Warner S366 T4 .88A/R

which is capable of 700WHP. Turbo is $1100.00 plus shipping. Holset is more

diesel oriented type of turbocharger. Let me know if you have any other

questions.

in regard to the gate,

looking at the size on the internal gate I think external may be the only option. the hols size on the internal gate is smaller than a stock RB turbo so boost creep would be a huge risk.

I am going to install the holset and see how it goes on te RB30 spool wise and se if i am happy with it. then if i like the results I will buy an external gate and make a new dump and manifold. I am lucky and have the luxury of a second car and a workshop at my disposal. otherwise the cost would prevent me doing such a 2 step build.

by the time you do all the work it's NOT a cheap turbo install,

Custom twilscroll manifold $600

External gate $450

Oil lines $150

Dump pipe $300

Custom cold side piping $200

Turbo guess?

and thats before supporting mods.

ecu, injectors, afm, fuel pump ect...

and pushing 300rwkw and gearboxes, rods, pistons ext all start to become the weakest link..

I guess I am saying there is no such thing as a "cheap" turbo that makes 300rwkw. I am not trying to deter anyone but just be aware of the real costs.

Cheers!

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/holset.php

there ya go ppl, i love this website it lists all the OEM's and all the part numbers for all the spares too

cheers but diff part number produce differrent results... the main issue is a lack of specific PROVEN part numbers and rear housing sizes. Ive been through DSm forums and so forth and there is very little to determine exactly which way to go. All this info is on MTQ dial in site.

in regard to the gate,

looking at the size on the internal gate I think external may be the only option. the hols size on the internal gate is smaller than a stock RB turbo so boost creep would be a huge risk.

I am going to install the holset and see how it goes on te RB30 spool wise and se if i am happy with it. then if i like the results I will buy an external gate and make a new dump and manifold. I am lucky and have the luxury of a second car and a workshop at my disposal. otherwise the cost would prevent me doing such a 2 step build.

by the time you do all the work it's NOT a cheap turbo install,

Custom twilscroll manifold $600

External gate $450

Oil lines $150

Dump pipe $300

Custom cold side piping $200

Turbo guess?

and thats before supporting mods.

ecu, injectors, afm, fuel pump ect...

and pushing 300rwkw and gearboxes, rods, pistons ext all start to become the weakest link..

I guess I am saying there is no such thing as a "cheap" turbo that makes 300rwkw. I am not trying to deter anyone but just be aware of the real costs.

Cheers!

Like you i have a second car and the R33 is a play thing not a car i use every day therefore i dont require its services, got other supporting mods such as ecu etc etc....this is a long term project with no ETA im not concerned about the length of time it takes or the price its going to cost (within reason of course) i want to show those in England that a different route can be taken that doesnt mean garrett or hks which the majority go for simply because "its a safe bet"

Please keep me upto date though on your project

Cheers

For ya 'typical' RB powered Skyline (2 litres are poor-man's RB and they dont count)

a good all rounder :

GT3540R - .82 turbine housing for more top end OR .64 for fast spool

AND if youre really insane and/or have a RB30 bottom end conversion, go see Michael Ramsey at GCG turbochargers and get him to custom build you one of his GT3566R specials LOL THEN you'll have fun....try 430+kw @ the wheels worth. Be warned tho, you're up for about two n a half large ones....

Simple really.

I really don't want to waste my time, but I think I can keep this short and still make my point. What GT35 are you running? Have you ever seen a holset or read anything about them? What about your experience with RB30's? Enlighten us please :( Unless of course this is just regurgitated internet "knowledge" and you have no real experience. If that's the case, please GTFO. :D

Wow, I want one of those for Christmas!! :/

Just had this email from one of the guys in the U.S doesnt really give a specific amount of information (none at all to be honest) but ill share with the rest price sounds reasonable Chris but what about the inlet and ex sizes ? think this is going to be a long drawn out project now.....espcially after reading the other link you posted up from that other forum

Hi,

We can get you both rebuilt or used HX40 and HX52 turbos. The rebuilt units come with a warranty of 1 year. The used units are guaranteed to be in good rebuildable condition.

The HX40's come in several frame sizes or with Bullseye exhaust housings for an additional cost.

Your cost on the rebuilt units is $525 plus shipping on either the HX40 or the HX52. The used HX40 units are $200 plus shipping and the used HX52 units are $135 plus shipping.

Was that SaulG AKA Goldfarb? He's who I've gotten almost all of my Holset's through. Great company, good turbos, but they aren't so will to take them apart and measure things for you. They deal in a lot of volume, so the odd import tuner buying a turbo off them for $150 doesn't get them to excited. They will usually tell you the exhuast a/r though. If you are looking at a HX40, the number of blades SHOULD tell you what you need to know. He will measure the inducer on the compressor and the exducer on the turbine side for you though usually.

Some of you interested in Holsets from that particular ebay company may find this interesting............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Procurement...%3A1|240%3A1318

Copied from their ebay page for when it gets taken down which I know it will (does that tag look familiar?).....

Wuxi, China turbocharger production base

holset with production base in Wuxi

There are many in Wuxi turbocharger manufacturers

High quality low price

If you need to contact me please and tell me models

I will give you price

We can provide HOLSET turbo-charger and some other own-brand turbo-chargers produced by some local OEM manufacturers (with more favorable price)

cp010.jpg

cp011.jpg