SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

Some of you interested in Holsets from that particular ebay company may find this interesting............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Procurement...%3A1|240%3A1318

Copied from their ebay page for when it gets taken down which I know it will (does that tag look familiar?).....

Wuxi, China turbocharger production base

holset with production base in Wuxi

There are many in Wuxi turbocharger manufacturers

High quality low price

If you need to contact me please and tell me models

I will give you price

We can provide HOLSET turbo-charger and some other own-brand turbo-chargers produced by some local OEM manufacturers (with more favorable price)

cp010.jpg

cp011.jpg

So its a copy chris? has to be dont it with holset being based in England? Also did you read the email i got back regarding BW turbos?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, looks like a fakey to me for sure. I doubt Holset has farmed out work to the chinese, and notice it doesn't actually say HOLSET anywhere on teh front of the turbo.

Abotu the BW, sounds like the guy is trying to sell you his more expensive turbo to me. BW's are great performers from what I've seen. The extended tip versions look to outperform Holsets by a bit. Thing is, they are over a thousand USD. Like I said before, my main draw to the holsets is their price to performance ratio. If I'm going to spend over $1k USD, that would broaden my turbo options a lot. BW's would still probably be near the top of my list though.

From a strictly performance perspective in the 600rwhp area, the BW would probably be a little better suited as the HX40 might not be able to make that, or just barely make it. Much over 600rwhp though, I'd start looking at the HX52 which is something I'm doing now. I drove one on a stock bottom end'd RB25 in a S14 the other night. That thing is scary. It comes on REAL fast. I was concentrating to much on keeping the thing pointed straight to watch the tach, but it was really quick spooling. We blew up the motor BTW. Bent a connecting rod like a bannana. Stock pistons looked perfect though. Ring lands all looked great, but the rod didn't :wub:

That sounds crazy chris, what about the lag on it? noticeable and what rpm range did it spool up?

Ive been in touch with a lad back here in England whos going the holset route but using the HX40 for circa 600bhp (obviously not my bhp range as you recommend the HX52), its going to be the AR and EX housing sizes that are going to be the most important and probably give the biggest headache. The lad back here is going for 16cm housing (doesnt specify which) but he has had problems finding a one with a T4 fitting so therefore has gone for a 19cm housing to get things started off.

What are the sizes im looking for with the HX52? and forgot to mention im looking to spend around £600 - £800 GBP on a blower just so you have an idea of what my budget is for one. :wub:

Edited by VspecGTR

Holset makes Diesel Truck or Earth moving equipment turbos. They are not engineered for high performance applications.

Correct :banana: but also very wrong...... :)

Have a look at the few links and read the whole thread please before posting stuff we know and are talking about....many thanks

That sounds crazy chris, what about the lag on it? noticeable and what rpm range did it spool up?

Ive been in touch with a lad back here in England whos going the holset route but using the HX40 for circa 600bhp (obviously not my bhp range as you recommend the HX52), its going to be the AR and EX housing sizes that are going to be the most important and probably give the biggest headache. The lad back here is going for 16cm housing (doesnt specify which) but he has had problems finding a one with a T4 fitting so therefore has gone for a 19cm housing to get things started off.

What are the sizes im looking for with the HX52? and forgot to mention im looking to spend around £600 - £800 GBP on a blower just so you have an idea of what my budget is for one. ;)

Look for the assembly number ending in 996 for the HX52's. It's a 16cm ex housing and provides great spool with plenty of flow for 700-750rwhp. How much hp are you looking for again? I'm going to have to go back and look. This thing is a HUGE turbo (like T88 or GT42r kinda power) so keep that in mind. Like I said, I couldn't watch the tach to see what it was spooling at because it was all I could do to keep the car pointed front end forward in 3rd :P My general inpression in the short time I had to drive it was great spool up time for the RPM, but the transient response (like already at 5k rpm at light throttle then stepping on the gas spool time) was a bit on the slow side. It's a MASSIVE wheel though.

For your friend with the HX40, tell him to stick with the 19cm housing. They don't make a T4 16cm, but I think that would be to small for him anyways unless he is putting it on a RB20.

Holset makes Diesel Truck or Earth moving equipment turbos. They are not engineered for high performance applications.

He was already spouting off something about how all modern turbochargers are hybrids in another thread. I wouldn't pay him much mind.

Im looking to make around the 700bhp mark....i dont want to go and take it any further at this stage because i think tranny are goint to go kaput alot if i start winding it up.....but having the capability to "wind it up" will be a good thing later on down the line if i so wish to......

One other thing ive been pondering is ECU set up. England Apexi is widely used but others suggest hks, motech etc. Now the problem over here is there arent alot "god tuners" dabbling in the other but alot of in th Apexi range.....im thinking D-jetro simply to get rid of the AFMs i do know it takes longer to map, but the rbs AFMs unless upgraded to nismo,mines or even rb25s struggle so why not just rid, besides if i go holset then room in the engine bay is seriously going to be limited

He was already spouting off something about how all modern turbochargers are hybrids in another thread. I wouldn't pay him much mind.

Yeah i did notice that chris....the lad going on about t3? or t4 turbos in another thread. If it was helpful response not a problem but when you get someone posting stuff up which has already been said then theyve obviously not read the thread through....... :P

If your looking to go big like 700hp and maybe go higher later, I'd look at the HX52 for sure. That's big power kinda stuff for sure. Drag racing or something else? I think maybe you mentioned maybe hill climb, but I'm not at all familiar with that. I can tell you an HX52 wouldn't be good for any kind of tight course stuff (on a RB25 at least). From the dyno's I have seen on the DSM boards, they come on a bit quicker than a GT4088? (not sure about the GT40 numbers), but they said they think they should make power somewhere between a 40r and a 42r. I'm seriously thinking about putting one on myself, and if I do, I'll post up vids galore, have no fear. I think it will be pretty much a drag car from that point on, but I think you said you had an RB30? I think a HX52 would suit that perfectly.

• 1 month later...

hey guys

i was gonna start a diffrent thread but thought id keep as much about holset in the same one.

anyone heard of a holset rx35?

supposedly the same as a hx35.

the one i am looking at has a 14cm rear, is this gonna be too laggy on my rb25det with stock internals?

chris, is there a real great diffrence between the 7 and the 8 blade hx35? struggeling to find a 7blade at a good price.

cheers guys

Gezza

hey guys

i was gonna start a diffrent thread but thought id keep as much about holset in the same one.

anyone heard of a holset rx35?

I would bet money it's a typo. Never heard of it.

the one i am looking at has a 14cm rear, is this gonna be too laggy on my rb25det with stock internals?

To laggy for what? I think it would be great for spooling on a stock rb25.

chris, is there a real great diffrence between the 7 and the 8 blade hx35? struggeling to find a 7blade at a good price.

about a 90hp difference from the compressor maps.

thanks chris, your always a great help! :)

so the 8blade should still be good for the 300rwk mark.

im using it for drifting so need something responsive and not sure wether i should hold out for a 12cm rear?

thanks again!

Yeah, 8 blade should get you there, but I'd hold out for the 7 blade if it were me. I always want more power though :D I'm not real familiar with the ex housing sixes for the HX35's. I'm not sure if the 12cm would limit you hp wise or not. They are cheap enough besides the install price though, so I say try both :(

Are you going top mount or putting it on the stock mani?

In the words of Ms Hanson; Ploise exploin?

yep :P

I liked that one too. so the T88 and the TD06 are also no good going by that rule. but both were originally designed for diesel trucks!

haha yeah the more power option is always good!

thanks to cef11e i have found a 7blade 12cm so the job has begun, cheers :P .

if the 12cm one aint enough then yeah i guess 14cm is next lol.

have decided to go high mount i think, yours is externalaly gated yeah? did you purchase an external turbo or and internal and converted?

cheers

Gezza

My HX35/40 was originally internally gated, and we welded the flapper shut and put an external gate on it. My current HX40's 19cm ex housing is an external only design. CEF11 sounds like he found you just what you need, and going top mount, it'll be a snap to change the exhuast housings if you decide you need more top end pull :P

ok kool, so it isnt hard to make into external gate?

yeah had been hunting for a while and then all of a sudden with a little guidance i have a few options :P , cheers cef11e

yeah i figured going the highmount would make access easier and leave upsizing easy aswell.

thanks for the help guys, so much less frustrating when others are willing to help out.