SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

Cjmartz2k

Ok found out my turbo is for an Komastu excavator! Bit too random for me.

Might have found HY35 and HX35's new from the US for $415 US + shipping. Awaiting reply with numbers for housing, compressor and turbine wheels. Will post them up.

Also, is the twin scroll the same design as a twin scroll GT3076R?..

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just make sure its not a chinese junker..

or, all you'll be buying is a time bomb!

Those are indeed chinese junkers. You won't find a brand new Holset for less than about $1,500 USD. The rest are copies. Just buy a used one (goes for ~$250 from a place in Washington Court House in Ohio, USA; close to me). This ebay seller has a regular supply of them and lists their specs, etc. Then buy a rebuild kit for very little money (~$50 USD) and rebuild it yourself. It's easy to do.

Edited by WizardBlack

I have since retuned my car and it is now making 326rwkw at 19psi with my HX35.

specs as follows

RB30DET - rb25 NA head rb30e bottom end rebuilt to standard specs.

modified standard manifold with external 40mm gate

HX35 with 10cm^ rear housing

740cc hiflowed standard injectors

Z32 AFM, 3" exhaust, FMIC, splitfire coilpacks

Remapped stock R32 ecu. idles like factory and still returns close to 400km's to a tank!

standard everything else.

full boost at 3400rpm, power keeps climbing to redline.

controllable power delivery with part throttle make it a VERY fast car. or if you give it a quick sharp stab it will fry a set of 255 semis is a straight line. I am looking at modifying a HE351VE and fitting it.

these turbos are MASSIVE. and I mean MASSIVE if you have a look at a T88 you will be getting close to their size. have a look

HERE TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE ALL ABOUT

one of these puppies will spool 1000rpm earlier than most making them similar in response to a stock RB25 turbo and when the housing is fully opened the rear will flow enough to make 400rwkw+. Imagine a turbo that has full boost by 3000rpm and makes 400rwkw!!!

a lot of reading buy well worth it. there are now a few guys that are using these and controlling the rear housing opening and closing with an actuator.

Cheers!

Nice results man! Those are the kind of spool times I was expecting also. If you are interested in the VGT turbo's, might want to check this out -----------> http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/4639...troller-project

Super interesting stuff. If you can get it working, it would be an amazing turbo. It would blow any other turbo I can think of out of the water.

And bozodos, there is no more custom fab work on one of them than there would be installing any externally gated GT30r, except you'll need a spacer. They do not, however, make low mount internally gated, bolt on holsets for RB's though, and I believe they do make GT30's like that.

No biggy, I just get in debates with the garret name brand nut swingers all the time about "how much harder it is to install one of these 'diesel' turbos" when it's exactly the same if you are comparing apples to apples. Sorry, I'm overly touchy on the subject sometimes :)

cool thread

I am a Holset lover.. I have a older H1C on my KA and a newer bigger H1C going on my RB. I am from Maryland where a large source for these turbos exist. I went to the depot and hand selected my turbo from 1000's

www.goldfarbinc.com is where you can find very good deals on quality used turbos.

as far as custom work.. if you have your own welders and cutting tools like myself.. its nothing... even if you don't.. its not hard to make them work. Once I had all my parts.. I installed the turbo inside of one day.

my holset write-up

http://240sxdrifter.tripod.com/writeups/holset.html

Edited by BigGameHit

WAY more common. HX35's come on every Dodge diesel pick up truck you see driving down the road. People often get them for free from the Dodge guys upgrading to something bigger. That's one of the big draws for Holsets. They are great turbo's, but if I had to pay $1500 for one new, I probably wouldn't be running one right now.

nice write up, I assume that in the US they are a lot more common than here lol

You would think so lol.. but a lot of guys outside of the serious tuning crowd are just catching on to the alternative. I'm actually eying a Borg Warner now.

Here in japan its the same.... NO one that I know outside of my circle touch diesel turbo's.

I paid 125 dollars for my H1C and it was in immaculate shape.

Edited by BigGameHit

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

the last nine pages are an interesting read indeed! Was saving for a 3076R, but now am so tempted to follow this route for $1500 less. My question is, what are the basic specs of the hx35 that we should look out for? I.E.: 7 blade compressor etc.

If I was to source one from golfarb, how would I describe it to them?

Has anyone succesfully low-mounted one of these on a stock manifold, or is it high mount only? What manifolds have people used?

Any info would be appreciated :ph34r:

harts.

Edited by stageaharts

• 2 months later...

I am after the same info -is it possible to low mount an hx35 on the stock manifold in an r33 gtst? looks like it will be a tight fit, want to know if anyone has tried before i have it shipped...

Edited by daniel23a