SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah I mean like flow terms, as in I have a KKR480 turbo at the moment, which is meant (I think?) to flow 480hp? I'd be happy with something that could give around 250-280 at the wheels, I don't really want massive power then have to start doing heaps of supporting mods to cope with it.

• 2 weeks later...

They are built big and sturdy. I don't think any turbo like anti-lag, but I'd bet Holset's do better than most including garrett. They have big frames, beefy bushings, and 360 degree thrust bearings meant to handle 30+psi of daily boost on OEM diesel applications.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

Been doing alot of reading up on holset and here in Pomme land there are only two i know of that are going the holset route. These cars arent up and running yet, but im quite interested in getting one and fitting it to my gtr now the question i have if Mr CJMARTZ2K wouldnt mind answering or anyone who is using a holset is....Im currently building an Rb30/26 looking for around 650bhp - 700 not at the wheels but fly.....what holset turbo would people recommend?

Many thanks and great site....fellow skyline owners

Just one other thing what would this holset be like for my project?

gsr hx35

Edited by VspecGTR

They are fibbing with those numbers on the HX35. AWD 2.0L DSM's (Eclipse's, Talon's, etc) in the states have pushed that particular turbo into the low 11 second range on many different vehicles and it will probably out spool a GT30r, but it's not going to make more power than a GT35r. Well maybe a really small a/r'd GT35r, but even that's pushing it. That's way to small for you, and for you power goals, I think you'd be close to maxing out a HX40. I think I'm somewhere around low 600's at the motor with mine at 1.7 bar. I'm thinking of getting water/meth injection and trying to run 2 bar. The DSM guys run crazy high boost on race gas and get ridiculous numbers with the HX40's. One guy got 652rwhp with a HX40, but that was at like 40psi on race gas on a dynojet which tend to read pretty high. You wouldn't have to run as high of boost with that big 3.0L to get higher numbers, but I still think you'd really be pushing a HX40 to get those kind of numbers.

If I were you, I'd really look into the HX52. It's what I'm about to put on my car. Compressor is something like 98mm exducer and 67mm inducer IIRC. It spool ridiculously fast for that big of a turbo on my friends RB25. It'll make mid 700 hp at the motor with out breaking a sweat, and probably close to 900 if you really cranked up the boost.

They are fibbing with those numbers on the HX35. AWD 2.0L DSM's (Eclipse's, Talon's, etc) in the states have pushed that particular turbo into the low 11 second range on many different vehicles and it will probably out spool a GT30r, but it's not going to make more power than a GT35r. Well maybe a really small a/r'd GT35r, but even that's pushing it. That's way to small for you, and for you power goals, I think you'd be close to maxing out a HX40. I think I'm somewhere around low 600's at the motor with mine at 1.7 bar. I'm thinking of getting water/meth injection and trying to run 2 bar. The DSM guys run crazy high boost on race gas and get ridiculous numbers with the HX40's. One guy got 652rwhp with a HX40, but that was at like 40psi on race gas on a dynojet which tend to read pretty high. You wouldn't have to run as high of boost with that big 3.0L to get higher numbers, but I still think you'd really be pushing a HX40 to get those kind of numbers.

If I were you, I'd really look into the HX52. It's what I'm about to put on my car. Compressor is something like 98mm exducer and 67mm inducer IIRC. It spool ridiculously fast for that big of a turbo on my friends RB25. It'll make mid 700 hp at the motor with out breaking a sweat, and probably close to 900 if you really cranked up the boost.

Thanks for the reply Chris. so better at looking at something like this one then ?HX40

I don't know about that company. They give some over rated hp figures, and there are some things that just aren't right. That HX40 for example. They say it's a 58mm inducer, but those only come on the older/smaller HX40's with 8 blades. The one they have pictured looks like the 60mm "super 40" like what I have. The 8 blade is a 60lb/min turbo, and the 6/7 blades are 69lb/min turbos. That's almost a 100hp difference. You wouldn't want a 16cm housing anyways, especially on a 3.0L. WAY to small. Also, those prices seem really high. Also, Holsets don't have extended tip technology. Ya know what!?! I just noticed, I think it's a china copy! I've heard about some china copies being made, but have yet to see one. I'm going to post that up on the DSM forums and see what they say. I would steer well clear of tha company.

As for the HX40 in general, I think it would be a bit small for you power goals. It would probably JUST make the kind of power you want, with great spool. Think of it as a bit bigger than a GT35r with a little better spool. HX52 is more GT40r or GT42r with AMAZING spool for that sized turbo.

Check out american ebay for some better deals on holsets. You might pay a lot more for shipping, but compared to the prices of those turbos you found, it'll still be cheaper. In my mind, the main reason to go with one is the price. If you going to pay around $1k USD for one, I'd look at a Borg Warner.

For ya 'typical' RB powered Skyline (2 litres are poor-man's RB and they dont count)

a good all rounder :

GT3540R - .82 turbine housing for more top end OR .64 for fast spool

AND if youre really insane and/or have a RB30 bottom end conversion, go see Michael Ramsey at GCG turbochargers and get him to custom build you one of his GT3566R specials LOL THEN you'll have fun....try 430+kw @ the wheels worth. Be warned tho, you're up for about two n a half large ones....

Simple really.

It would be interesting to see if Holset and/or Borgwarner have an options for the replacement of the OEM RB26 turbos like Garrett has with its 2560's. If they did I would definitely be interested, it seems that there are more offerings in a single format.

Does anyone else know?

Mike

Over here (england) With holset being a english company we have had a few lads make enquiries with them .....as they are looking to hook themselves up with holset. Problem being Holset themselves DONT want to know about people sticking their turbos on cars. Not very helpful in my opinion. I want to dare to be different and not go the usual Garrett, hks big single route i want to try something out of the norm and show that you can do a project make it reliable and show you dont have to have big bucks to produce a good street weapon. There are a few threads on GTROC using holset but one in particular is a twin holset set up on a Finnish car. I hate my country for being so damned expensive!

Finn holset 1000bhp

One definite downside to holsets is they do NOT cater to the aftermarket crowd. They makes tons of money mass producing OEM turbo's for big rig diesels and american diesel pick up trucks made to go 200k miles on the factory turbo at a constant 2bar+. I can't blame them. Why would they care? We only get the used scraps and odd batch of brand new turbo's that "fell off the truck" somehow. They are cheap because people find them in the states I mentioned. If you buy them new, they cost the same if not more than a brand new BB garett. Everything is "experimental" except for HX35's and HX40's, and a few HX50/52/55's. I'd bet an HX30 would be the rough equivalent to a HKS 2535 power wise, but I have no clue about what flange and stuff they use. Maybe somebody should be a poineer :)

Vspec--look on american ebay for cheap holsets. A seller in particular named saulg. Wouldn't that be ironic if you got a turbo made in the UK that was shipped to the USA for a truck, and bought it used and had it sent back to the UK for $300-$400 USD when a new one would run you $2000 from the factory located next door? :bunny:

Yeah is a bit of a bummer chris....knowing that a manufacturer here in england would probably charge and arm and a leg for a single unit...like you say they are mass produced for the likes of scania etc so they can run diesel engines...only to find one over in the states then get it cheap over there but we have the cost of shipping then our dreaded import tax and VAT. So what that will cost i dont know. But having a quick browse on US Ebay there are some interesting turbos especially this one that has caught my eye Borg warner ive sent an email off to these lads to find out what the spec is and what they suggest for my setup....Will have a look at the suggested seller youve recommended and see whats on offer there.

To me there defo has to be a viable alternative and "buck the trend" away from garret and hks those turbos are expensive, im not saying cheaper is not necessarily better but surely there are other viable alternatives that the two big hitters cornering the market have on RBs especially over here in england.

Just a heads up for those looking for these turbos in Australia,

The HX35W is the OEM turbo for a lot of IVECO trucks. I just picked one up for $150! and it is in MINT condition.

The unit I have here has the following specs:

7 Blade Compressor

V band ompressor cover outlet and no anti surge slots on the inlet

T3 twinscroll Turbine housing

Integrated wastgate with Adjustable actuator!

the plan is to put it on the standard manifold with a 20mm twinscroll spacer that has been knife edged. I will have to fabricate up a dump pipe and some simple intake pipe work but thats about it

the turbo is going on a daily driven R32 with an RB30DET in it. I am aiming at a shade under 300rwkw and having full boost just after 3000. I am hoping on keeping boost below 17psi to acheive this. seeming as the actuator is adjustable it should be doable.

I just need to do some more shopping first and get a set of bigger injectors and a Z32afm.

I am still a bit of a sceptic about it all but sometimes you just have to jump in and see how you go. normally I would steer clear of cheap options but this one looks like a goer. Holset make turbos for the best manufacturers in the world and are designed to last 100's of 1000's of k's their thrust bearings are able to take HUGE loads and a varied oil supply, their compressor maps are wider than anything else available and the wheels are iconnel. all the makings of a good turbo.

And this would not be the first time a diesel truck turbo has been used in hi performance applications

T88

TD06

two of the most ledgendary turbos ever made.

It will be a while before I get it on the car but will post results as soon as its on.

Cheers! ;)

so the only downside to these is that to fit them requires a lot more modification?

hmmm... change turbo's... again or just got to E85...

300rwkw, full boost at 3000rpm, at 17psi.... heaven. oh wait, that is a RB30DET... so it would be at least say 3500rpm full boost for RB25... hmmm...

Over here (england) With holset being a english company we have had a few lads make enquiries with them .....as they are looking to hook themselves up with holset. Problem being Holset themselves DONT want to know about people sticking their turbos on cars. Not very helpful in my opinion. I want to dare to be different and not go the usual Garrett, hks big single route i want to try something out of the norm and show that you can do a project make it reliable and show you dont have to have big bucks to produce a good street weapon. There are a few threads on GTROC using holset but one in particular is a twin holset set up on a Finnish car. I hate my country for being so damned expensive!

Finn holset 1000bhp

looking to bring in a hx-35 and hx-40 from gs racing (uk ebay) as it seems the easiest place to get them new in the sizes i want :laugh:

i have dial in (stock computer and pricing) to a huge turbo supplier (mtq) here in aus and i did my head in looking for the right spec and when i did they are about 2000 dollars anyway. Im not sure what rep this GS racing has but i will soon find out. Not a fan of thier black caover up paint jobs but anyhoo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSRACING-GSR-HX40-70...A1%7C240%3A1318