SAU Community

Superlap 2009 Gets A Green Light!

yeah I agree completely. and I know that is the idea of this event. to bring to australia the style of event the HOR guys witnessed when they took berry and newman to Tsukuba in 07. I know Ian was really excited to run that type of event here. and yes, the nismo super GT team doesn't show up at tsukuba to teach poor old garage saurus or m-speed a lesson!

I think the hard part is cars like the lotii are still exciting to watch and anyone building a racing event wants to try and include as many cars/drivers as possible, not seek to exclude people. and especially when those cars are at the top of the tree it can look like sour grapes. but given that these guys already have classes and events to compete in I think it's probably worthwhile making this event for japanese models only. or else have a seperate 'euro/non japan' class that you can run in with your porsche cup car or your GT spec HPE lotus. because it's going to be a tall ask to get an evo/wrx/GTR/silvia/whatever japanese production based car to compete with something like the hpe lotii or a 997 cup car. Mark came close in his 32 as did Dave loftus in Jeff's BSM 32 but both those cars are about as good as it gets for time attack type GTRs in aus. and both driven by very handy drivers.

It's nothing against the lotii by the way. I love what they are achieving and I know peter lucas well enough from when we ran in prod sports a few years back and it's great to see him doing so well. he's a great guy.

so what do you reckon nathan? japanese based cars only? or seperate class for non-japanese cars?

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the funny thing is the two guys who would want the lotus to come back most would probably be mark berry and dave loftus as I know they would both want the competition. no one wants an easy win, and guys who are quick always want to compete against the best of whatever is around.

looking at the entry list it's definitely too late to change anything for this event. not fair to the guys with lotus and corvettes that are already entered and will no doubt put on a good showing. maybe look at it for 2010. :)

and no Landcruisers please. Sure it was a talking point and was all over the forums and Ignition DVD, but it really doesn't send out the right image for the event, does it?.

excluding or seperating these cars may also open a whole new can of worms for competitors who have japanese cars powered by alternative manufacturer engines. i know there is a V8 class that would cater for some but not all. What is the event image? is it a Jap car event or open time attack sprint style event? are we taking a one eyed look at it from a skyline forum perspective? Hard one. Maybe a handicap sytem may work, that way every body still gets to race.

and no Landcruisers please. Sure it was a talking point and was all over the forums and Ignition DVD, but it really doesn't send out the right image for the event, does it?.

Speaking from my experiences and yes I know Autosports trackdays and events are very different to this "Superlap" style time-attack format. I think that the hardest thing to consider when even contemplating any sort of limitation on car/class or driver is the simple fact that our local and extremely isolated market doesn’t have the luxury to ostracize anyone.

Turning it into a “Jap” manufacturer only event would never work in my opinion; Australian motorsport even at a grass-roots level has a lot more going for it than the Jap scene.

I also have to say that I thought it was awesome to see the Landcruiser ripping it up last year! I think more focus should go on making sure that there are not any muppets like the rotor last year that did the victory-lap smoke show

Like someone said, I am sure anyone with a half decent or fast car would want to compete with other fast and even faster then them to then strive to get on top of them.

Australia needs an event like this as a measuring stick for the industry and complete tuning scene and I think in time it will develop a much bigger audience on a National level and I wish Ian all the best and getting it happening.

Had a great test at Oran yesterday in the little Honda S2000 I used last year. We were only using the south circuit,. so were unable to get GP times. At least we could finally put some R compounds on it :)

Elias has been tweaking the engine to give it a few more HP. I have to say it is one of the hardest cars I have driven, to try and drive fast.

Yesterday it was wheel spinning ( and I mean laying massive black lines ) on the run up to the dogleg in 4th gear. If we could only make it AWD :D

We are trying to look for better R compounds now as it really is struggling to put the power down. Was able to pull 220kph on the short circuit :)

Had a great test at Oran yesterday in the little Honda S2000 I used last year. We were only using the south circuit,. so were unable to get GP times. At least we could finally put some R compounds on it

Elias has been tweaking the engine to give it a few more HP. I have to say it is one of the hardest cars I have driven, to try and drive fast.

Yesterday it was wheel spinning ( and I mean laying massive black lines ) on the run up to the dogleg in 4th gear. If we could only make it AWD

We are trying to look for better R compounds now as it really is struggling to put the power down. Was able to pull 220kph on the short circuit

so what were the south times ??? 47's or better ?

While I was instructing at www.Rallyschool.com.au yesterday I noticed a heap of people out at Oran GP yesterday getting plenty of practice for Superlap :rolleyes: