SAU Community

Afm In Cooler Piping

jeffworld2

hi was wondering if anyone has any experience with this...

in order to get a nice intake happening, i have moved the z32 afm into the cooler piping. car seems to run fine, but what i was wondering is if i can run boost through this plastic thing?

ie will it still give reliable ratios under boost or will it wander around as the temps change?

and will it melt or crack with 280kw or so of air?

I eagerly await your opinions :(

im also keen to know more about this.

I know of one bloke with 410ish rwhp on a rb25 with a z32 inside the cooler piping, he hasnt reported bad things yet though. My understanding is that if you just put it in the piping without getting it tuned to suit you'll have problems.

My brother just put a z32 on the hotside of the piping in his r33 with a gt3076r, should be on the dyno in 2 weeks so i'll let you know how it goes. Definately cleans up the engine bay, and you can have a nice 4inch s/s intake that looks very neat.

There are a few problems that i see. It is quite common in Japan, but the big drama is it gets fouled up rather quickly. Thankfully airflow does not stall through the element because it retains most of its velocity, but oil deposits from the oil intake, be it from breather recirc etc etc means tis best to keep it as close to the air filter as possible as there is less likely to be contamination and therefore get more accurate readings

nothing in front of mine but compressor wheels and pods, no recirc BOV's or oily air inputs.

only issue was the idle unit, had to plumb that in after the afm obviously whereas before it was just behind the air filter,

funny the stock position would have worked fine lol.

runs very similar to before, but it hit around 80 on the fc knock reading tonight wheras before it would not do that. Was almost full throttle, around 1.3 bar... it was only the once though so may have been something else. but yeah idles and drives same as before. Outside that one incident max knock was about 40 while backing off which is normal for my car, so I'm happy.

i think the verdict is everything is ok. i will get it on a dyno and see how it reacts to real heat though... i'm not worried about it holding pressure or measuring boosted air, but i am still worried about it sort of melting

Well the afm measures the mass amount of air flowing through, so it shouldn't matter what temp or pressure you are running. The only issues would be how it physically holds up against the increased temps/pressure (ie it could leak or temps may cause premature failure of the circuitry inside the AFM. That and oily air as mentioned.

If you want to clean up the intake get yourself a MAP and inlet temp sensors.

Well the afm measures the mass amount of air flowing through, so it shouldn't matter what temp or pressure you are running. The only issues would be how it physically holds up against the increased temps/pressure (ie it could leak or temps may cause premature failure of the circuitry inside the AFM. That and oily air as mentioned.

If you want to clean up the intake get yourself a MAP and inlet temp sensors.

Most of the people doing this will be r33 owners with power fc's since there is no djetro version to run a map sensor. You can use the gtr djetro but then you need another unit to control vct etc.

The main thing im worried about is it popping off, being plastic you cant really wrentch the crap out of them with t-clamps since they'll break. Oh well, i'll wait till my bros gets done :D

It should work if you put the elctronics from the afm in a steel/aluminium pipe with the same diameter. Something like this:

lmmeninvndigtzd3.jpg

Edited by WilYawn

Most of the people doing this will be r33 owners with power fc's since there is no djetro version to run a map sensor. You can use the gtr djetro but then you need another unit to control vct etc.

to be honest those chasing a dejtro have probably changed turbo and the vct is of little consequence wityh a bit of tweaking.

that said i do a few AFM to pipe conversions, but usually cut the afm out of the housing as it tends to explode over 18psi :P there is a few people making alloy housings but they are overpriced.

i was running 20psi through my vh41... but it would get weird readings where sumtimes i put it down to it was located just after a bend and maby the air was buffeting around the corner and not flowing past smoothly. plus i had to remove the lil screen inside it due to it was a massive restriction.

to be honest those chasing a dejtro have probably changed turbo and the vct is of little consequence wityh a bit of tweaking.

that said i do a few AFM to pipe conversions, but usually cut the afm out of the housing as it tends to explode over 18psi :D there is a few people making alloy housings but they are overpriced.

if vct is there it might as well be used, especailly for people like my bro that only want a mild setup.

I didnt know that they would break under big boost, might have a look into that. I know a few boat builders so i might get one of those alloy afm's made up, looks very trick :)