SAU Community

heatshield for POD filter

cobo_11

7. Pretty aint she

heatshieldcarbon.JPG

8. As per caption...bit scary

heatshield4.JPG

9. Carbon is very hard, don't worry bout being rough.

heatshield3.JPG

10. Almost finished cutting it out using a hand blade (In top of pic)

heatshield2.JPG

11. Here I am using some 1" right angle alloy to make the mount for the lid

160502carbon%20stage2i.JPG

12. I used small bolts to attach it then used screw head covers to hide them.

160502carbon%20stage2m.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13. I can't remember what the two holes are for but there were two holes in the engine on the strut tower that I used to anchor the vertical section, I made this little alloy plate to protect the carbon from being squashed when the bolts were tightened

160502carbon%20stage2e.JPG

14. Quick run on the buffer brings it up nice

160502carbon%20stage2d.JPG

15. Here it is in place.

160502carbon%20stage2b.JPG

16. After cutting the top out it is just a matter of wacking on some clear coat to make the carbon really shine.

160502carbon%20stage2c.JPG

17. I used some screw in trim plugs to hold the top to the alloy right angle which I had drilled holes in.

160502carbon%20stage2n.JPG

18. Showing the vertical carbon in place.

heatshield1.JPG

19. Part way through this I changed from the BLITZ air filter to a HKS one...I had to make the adapter to make it fit...but thats another lesson

podadapter9d.JPG

20. All in place, note that the carbon canister has also been moved to the rear of the engine bay to make room for the CUSCO oil catch can which should be next to the battery but my fmic piping was in the road.

pic4sau1.jpg

this might sound a bit crazy, but if we cant afford to upgrade the exsisting pod, what about filtering the air coming in from the cold air intake before it reaches the pod, thus eliminating any issues with the pod there!!! Cheap and nasty but might help!! and still allows a higher area of air around the pod!!!

anyone think of any pros'cons for this setup???

ps proxies prevent me seeing your pictures boostmeister, you may have covered this!!

finally got the pics! Very neat job boostmeister!!!!!

sidewaymambo, there is a fibreglass suppliers in Seven Hills that sell carbon fibre on the roll, atleast they might be able to get it or send you to a place that would have it!!

Man, that is an awesome cold air box. Very Schmick.

And I like the 120 degree bend in the intercooler piping into the throttle body, saves all that pipework between the radiator and the engine. Plus to make it even better, you shielded it from the rising engine heat as well. VERY impressive

Boostmeister, that's a sick job mate. Looks bloody good. Something like that would cost heaps to buy.

Where can you get those carbon sheets?? and how much are they?? I have carbon fibre cups for gauges, so my as well keep it the same theme hehe.

You want to start taking orders?!?! :)

Cheers

Thanks guys

There were a lot of things I should have done before selling my car like "TAKE TEMPLATES FOR THINGS I MADE" Dam it.....I spend hundreds of hours making bits and pieces for my car then I go and sell it :) Oh well.

The carbon cost me about $200 but you could use anything, although I don't usually like using wood in cars, you could use some 5mm MDF then just paint it in gloss black (Oil based) this would look good and cost about $20...but the carbon looks nice. The sheet I bought was an off cut from a job that the Carbon guy here in Toowoomba had done so I got it cheap, I hate to think what it would have cost me to have made....He uses an

auto-clave...read: $1.1m piece of gear....to finish it off and get all the air out of it so it is perfect, this is the difference between doing it at home or getting a fiberglasser to do it.

Sorry I can't make you one, even if I had the templates it is still a timely process and I would have to charge you too much....there is a lot of detail in those shots so have a go yor self, just use some 2-3mm cardboard (Like the year planner I used) this makes it ridgit enough to be accurate. You will get great satisfaction from giving it a go...trust me.

i used some galvanised iron to make my enclosure. It looks beaut and was cheap to make, but something that i would recommend is that even if you are making the box from aluminium or another metal, you mite want to line the inside of the box with some heat proof material from clark rubber or what ever. The lid of the box doesnt get that hot however.

ive got a large cold feed leading to the box, but the box still gets very hot and it wouldnt cost alot to buy some, and you wouldnt see it (since its inside the box).