SAU Community

rayj

hi

those two little shocks which hold the hood/bonnet up have decided to give up, what are my options? can they be fixed, are replacements available, what should i do... second hand perhaps?

thanks heaps

Surely there would be replacement shocks available somewhere, but at what cost I'm not sure.

Mine are blown, I just support the bonnet using an R32 skyline bonnet prop. There are holes in the rad support and bonnet from factory.

I'm not sure what you guys have but in Hobart there is a place that can rebuild the little gas struts, so there maybe something similar to that?

we should have something like that in adelaide... have u got any idea how much rebuilding costs?

Trust me when I say the struts can be bouht quite cheaply (roughly $40 each) from any supercheap/autobarn/bursons store. If they can't find the strut your after "because its an import and we don't keep that information" measure the diameter of the black rod, the fully opened length and the fully closed length (nomally the length of the largest tube plus the plastic bit that connects to your bonnet). With those measurements they should be able to come up with a match.

Stay away from wrecked cars - you have no idea how old/worn the struts are in those.

Reconditioning is not as good as replacing in my opinion and its not that expensive to replace them.

could use a piece of wood to keep it open if you're a tightwad :P

What about say replacement struts for a VP commodore (just having a stab in the dark here)

a mate has the same problem on his A31, except it stays open for a little while then bashes him on the head as he goes to remove coil packs etc. always good for a laugh!

i used monroe ones cost 50 bucks each car is at the paint shop now if you can wait till thurs ill give ya the part no they actually lift the bonnet 15mm higher than stock so they are a performance improvement lol

could use a piece of wood to keep it open if you're a tightwad :D

What about say replacement struts for a VP commodore (just having a stab in the dark here)

a mate has the same problem on his A31, except it stays open for a little while then bashes him on the head as he goes to remove coil packs etc. always good for a laugh!

YES!

Just when you think they are gonna work, you check your oil or coolant levels and smack, cops ya in the back of the head! haha, happened to me a few times.

I sent an email a while ago about them, down somewhere in Glenelg a bloke said to me I think it was about $58.60 a strut to regas. But I wasnt too sure what other options there could be. :) Plus, its not a huge problem anyway, allows me to carry a piece of wood in the boot. lol.. :)

i used monroe ones cost 50 bucks each car is at the paint shop now if you can wait till thurs ill give ya the part no they actually lift the bonnet 15mm higher than stock so they are a performance improvement lol

thanks mate, if u do get some time, please let me kow the part number.

cheers

here you go guys the savior to all your dramas yeah i was going to get regas but mine were so shagged the guy could not do it but new is better

monroe part # ml4371

I'm going to post this in the parts guide sticky.

• 2 weeks later...