SAU Community

Pga-sa Interclub Dyno Day #3 - 14th March 2009!

car_fanatica

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I finally have a spare moment to write a few words.

Firstly, I'd like to make amends for my shocking attempt at a 'speech' during the awards - I'll blame 3hrs sleep and fatigue for sounding like a mumbling idiot.

I’d like to pass on my congratulations to all the organisers and helpers on the day, it was a first class event and the effort involved was highly evident. Daniel (BLU555) and the other PGA members – apologies for not listing your names - I would be very proud of your achievements, it is not easy running an event to this standard. Brett and the staff at Graham West Workshops, thank you for your patience and professionalism. It was my first visit to GWW and it is now obvious that the positive reports I had heard were true. Finally to all the sponsors of the event, well done on supporting an event of this nature - particularly under the current economic climate.

A huge thanks to Lee and… Michelle? , Luke (Lee’s brother), Shaun (this man can change a wheel just as well as he can detail a car for a show in situ’) and the rest of the SAU attendees that lent a hand when and where required. Without Lee, I wouldn’t have been able to run the car to it potential – mate I owe you big time! It was also good to see a few familiar faces, Pete (SLED), Krishy, Andrew (Nightcrawler) and so on.

Lee, it sure was those rears of yours mate. How much of a shit do I feel? You lend me your rears, put in a big effort to provide the tools and muscle to help swap them over whilst your very patient other half stands guard, I then tell you ‘yep mate, you’ve got this in the bag’, only to pip you by a handful of kilowatts… using your own rear wheels and tyres! Give me a few more hours and I’ll be sending you a PM.

TheRogue, sorry I didn’t catch your name (Joel? As in ‘the’ Joel), thanks for the kind words mate. E85 indeed :banana:

Daniel (BLU555) thanks mate. I’ll shoot you a PM tomorrow sometime when I get a chance.

Pete, thanks mate. To be honest, it’s not that much of a handful when I drive it like a Nanna 99.9% of the time I’m in the drivers seat. That kind of power is really only for track use.

Marko, due to my complete lack of know how, could I trouble you to e-mail me copies of the video from both dyno runs? I can PM you my e-mail address. Thanks mate!

Gav/Pete, drag orientated semi-slicks (MT, Hoosiers, BFG etc.) will not get grip on the knurled metal dyno rollers, in fact if you have enough power they will literally start shredding to pieces once torque starts to build. My initial run saw pieces of rubber tearing off the MT’s. The car reached just under 250rwkw @ 129km/h in 4th (~4,500-5000rpm) whilst rubber was flying off the rears and then the 10A injector fuse decided the Siemens injectors were drawing too much current and blew, which shut the car down. The extremely soft tread compound of a top of the line drag radial will be torn to pieces by the knurled metal roller and the soft sidewall deforms and robs power, even if you don’t lose traction. A hard sidewall semi-comp’ on the other hand is fine – my RE540S rears were fine when I ran those on the rear, useless for getting grip on the strip though.

Oh and just quickly, Lee, I'll post up my dyno sheet as soon as I get a chance mate.

Last but not least... my wife and I and some friends went and watched Eric Bana's Love The Beast a few hours after the dyno day had wrapped up. For what it is it is an excellent film, and a perfect way to end the day.

Cheers,

Matt

my dyno sheet,

th_dynosheet2.jpg

misfire killed it :D but the car is almost stock so not complaining.

got a bunch of parts coming in the next month, hoping to push it a bit past 200 :D

videos are uploading atm...

now now marko

its taking me a while to crack the 200 mate...hope you get there sooner lol

Matt (whatisname) your car is a absolute beast mate....words cant describe that car lol

Funny enought the top 3 skylines made 366, 356 and 340 all were running on E85

ummm makes me want to slap on a bigger turbo and switch over to E85.

Lee i will put the dyno sheet once i get around to it

I was very very happy with 211 on 12psi with a stock turbo...i know for a fact Andrew (nightcrawler) couldnt believe it hahah

So now damo its your chance bro....crack the 211 mark with a stock turbo :banana:

Thanks for the kind words Matt, it's a pleasure holding these days and I hope you along with a heap of you guys from SAU join us again next year!

Also, a bit of a background on the RX4, that number was recorded on low boost, pump fuel and loosing traction on the dyno. 326kw on low boost with all of those dramas is still pretty bloody impressive in my books!!

Dont upset Krishy, Damo :blink: you know your goal in life is to chase his tail

yeah didn't realise the rotor was having issues maybe next time

lets hope the word gets out to our bastard cousins the JZ's, and they represent next year

First of all - Results are up - http://www.dynoday.info

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to SAU members who not only competed but came by the droves to support everyone who was competing. The majority of you arrived well before your runs, and then stuck around all day.

It was awesome to watch how you all pulled together to help Matt get there in the end - it really stresses to me personally that car clubs aren't just about the cars, they are about the people in the cars too! And Matt - you are a top bloke, and same goes for you too Lee. Both of your cars were superb examples to see on the dyno - Lee in particular, when your car hit boost, the crowd went nuts! Another mention for the event would have to go with watching DSTROY with a massive improvement to hit 311KW over last years effort. Your car looks magic mate - I've had plenty of comments about your car from people who couldn't make it. Another score for the R32!

And what an event it ended up being. The winner takes the prize right at the end, and for the second year in a row, that winner is a SAU member! The behaviour and general attitude of all the SAU people was incredible. You were all friendly to all people from other clubs and car makes and none of the snide remarks about FWD cars that some other groups might feel like making. You guys are always welcome to the event, and we look forward to seeing if you can make it 1st place for the 3rd year in a row.

Finally - Dan (BLU555) busts his guts working on these events every year. I know from my involvement that it takes at least 6 months to get everything sorted properly, and for that period of time, its only in the last week that you know that its going to go smooth, so its a real roller coaster to keep things on track. Keep up the good work mate, everyone appreciates it!

Edited by naturaldisasta

now now marko

Matt (whatisname) your car is a absolute beast mate....words cant describe that car lol

Funny enought the top 3 skylines made 366, 356 and 340 all were running on E85

ummm makes me want to slap on a bigger turbo and switch over to E85.

Lee i will put the dyno sheet once i get around to it

I was very very happy with 211 on 12psi with a stock turbo...i know for a fact Andrew (nightcrawler) couldnt believe it hahah

So now damo its your chance bro....crack the 211 mark with a stock turbo :blink:

Krishy, thanks for the kind words.

If you can cope with limited access to E85 currently (only two service stations that stock E85 on pump at the moment) then I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Thanks for the kind words Matt, it's a pleasure holding these days and I hope you along with a heap of you guys from SAU join us again next year!

Also, a bit of a background on the RX4, that number was recorded on low boost, pump fuel and loosing traction on the dyno. 326kw on low boost with all of those dramas is still pretty bloody impressive in my books!!

They are well deserved, Dan. Short of a major commitment elsewhere I will be there next year - I might not compete but I will certainly be keen to attend.

I spoke to Anthony for quite a bit at the end of the day and there is no doubt his 20B GT42 powered Mazda has a lot more in it, a lot more! Well into the 400+rwkw region on BP98 and 500rwkw should be achieveable on E85. His car has 8 sec' potential.

Damon, thanks for the kind words mate. I never got a chance to finish off our conversation, sorry mate!

Damo, even with a standard turbo the improvements to be had from E85 are significant. Even without increasing boost pressure you will see gains in power, torque, response, and reduced engine temperatures. E85's ability to support large increases in timing is the key to the performance gains (without the use of boost pressure increases).

I gained 26kw with no change to anything by switching to E85, the octane rating and the cooling nature of the fuel are perfect for a tuned car.

Are there many places to get E85 tho? The lack of (percieved) availability is whats keeping me away, tho if there are a few around the place/near me I reckon I'd give it a go

-D

A huge thanks to Lee and… Michelle? , Luke (Lee's brother), Shaun (this man can change a wheel just as well as he can detail a car for a show in situ') and the rest of the SAU attendees that lent a hand when and where required. Without Lee, I wouldn't have been able to run the car to it potential – mate I owe you big time! It was also good to see a few familiar faces, Pete (SLED), Krishy, Andrew (Nightcrawler) and so on.

Lee, it sure was those rears of yours mate. How much of a shit do I feel? You lend me your rears, put in a big effort to provide the tools and muscle to help swap them over whilst your very patient other half stands guard, I then tell you 'yep mate, you've got this in the bag', only to pip you by a handful of kilowatts… using your own rear wheels and tyres! Give me a few more hours and I'll be sending you a PM.

Marko, due to my complete lack of know how, could I trouble you to e-mail me copies of the video from both dyno runs? I can PM you my e-mail address. Thanks mate!

Oh and just quickly, Lee, I'll post up my dyno sheet as soon as I get a chance mate.

Last but not least... my wife and I and some friends went and watched Eric Bana's Love The Beast a few hours after the dyno day had wrapped up. For what it is it is an excellent film, and a perfect way to end the day.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

First of all good work on that post would have taken you ages to jot that down.

Was not a problem at all swapping rear wheels mate like i said what goes around comes around. Michelle was all good she understands they can be long days and that i enjoy them (being the rev head that i am). Luke was also more then happy to help and he was most impressed with your ride.

Good to see persistance pays off at times hey.

Dont feel bad about winning thats for sure you deserve it cranking out 366 rear killerwasps.

Be good to compare our dyno sheets thats for sure seeing theres only 10kw between them.

I'm looking forward to watching the beast also as i'm partial to the old falchoons good to hear it was worth watching.

Lee

Another mention for the event would have to go with watching DSTROY with a massive improvement to hit 311KW over last years effort. Your car looks magic mate - I've had plenty of comments about your car from people who couldn't make it. Another score for the R32!

Thanks mate! Good to see the day went well. I would have stayed all day if i didn't have a wedding to go to. I'm pretty happy with how my car went. It was the most powerful Skyline on BP98. I'm seriously thinking of going E85 now, just need to find someone to tune it that wont send me broke. :wub: I'll definitely try and make it next year with even more power :verymad:

now now marko

haha i don't mess around, since i bought the car mid December its spent half the time off road getting suspension brakes and minor things fitted when i got the time. got quite a list going.

currently waiting on coil packs to arrive.

btw, i cant upload or send your video anywhere, its too big :) i can try send it over msn if you got one, PM me.

It was awesome to watch how you all pulled together to help Matt get there in the end - it really stresses to me personally that car clubs aren't just about the cars, they are about the people in the cars too! And Matt - you are a top bloke, and same goes for you too Lee. Both of your cars were superb examples to see on the dyno - Lee in particular, when your car hit boost, the crowd went nuts! Another mention for the event would have to go with watching DSTROY with a massive improvement to hit 311KW over last years effort. Your car looks magic mate - I've had plenty of comments about your car from people who couldn't make it. Another score for the R32!

Hey Damon

Thanks for your kind words, its people like yourself,Daniel,Brett,Lynette and co that really make the difference on the day. It really was a well organised day so hats off to all involved..

Its also humbling to think that people regard my car in such a way. And to think that i only brought the car 20 months ago with a cat back zorst and 152rwkw. Big thanks to my tuner because with out his tuning and countless hours spent on the car (injectors,pump etc etc) it would still be sporting 270 odd rwkw and more knock then you can poke a stick at.

Lee

much kudos to the guys from PGA, and also the GW guys too

sorry bout soooo much smoke LOL

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/kfsRu...nt=DSCF0043.flv

quite happy with my 63kw (but 275nm of torque). its a stock turbo diesel

How do the older style TD Patrols respond to mods? :D

The current model 3LTD, pull around 130kw with exhaust, remap and a wack load of boost up from 80kw, atleast thats what my mates navara did. I have been seriously thinking about doing it to my patrol. Would love sand dunes then.

Edited by DR JOSH