SAU Community

Registering And Legal Stuff

Sheriff Wan

Ive beaten the following:

- Major Defect, Number plate in a illegal position. It was wrong, the very sub-law the officer quoted stated in the next point it was legal. The prosecutor just rolled her eyes @ the TMU officer once she realised. I mean how can a TMU, a cop that does traffic 24-7 get something as simple as reading a piece of paper wrong.

- Bald tyres (they were not on the markers) etc etc.

- 140 km/h in a 80 zone, no witnesses other than the officer. Officer could only see the car for less than 2 seconds (was a blind corner). So absolute heresay and lies which the judge picked up on as in court the officer kept changing his version of events when questioned. Officer also had no uniform on, looked like a bus driver, no hi-visibility gear and so on (due to location this was not appropriate)

- Reckless driving, in relation to above

- Dangerous driving, in relation to above

- 100km/h in a 60 zone, again no proof. Police did an 'estimation' over less than 300 meters when they were over 800 meters behind me so its arguable it was even 300 meters, that was down graded to ~70-75 km/h by the judge.

- Reckless driving in relation to above

There are others but you get the idea. Most of the stuff is just cops lying, and im not joking, its pure lies and factually wrong claims against my person.

I cannot believe the Police of this state, they are dumber than a pack of wild monkeys and they will just charge/fine/defect you for something just "because" and expect you not to fight it.

I will admit i give them a fair bit of attitude when they pull me over, as over a 12 month period i average at least 20-30 "random" breatho's.

But that does not equate to them being allowed to wrongfully charge/defect me at the end of the day.

I dont go down without a fight if im not in the wrong. As should everyone else. Lawyer up and go for it!

The next horizon - EPA vs Me!

Back on topic now though hehe.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats cool. i don't drive my car very often but even when i do the cops hardly look at me. i've only been breath tested a couple of times and they were at rbt's. p platers get hammered by police round here. i tell them to ask for their name an badge number and make an official complaint but they never have the guts to do it. if only car enthusiasts would stick up for them selves so the cops would think twice before they pull people over for no reason. good luck with your future run ins and i hope you can figure out a way not to have to go for an epa test when they tell you too. keep us posted.

ps. isn't this on topic?

I put in a "Application to alter vehicle or trailer details" form (MR7) and said new engine is a RB30 from VL turbo with R32 GTR head and stated that its a twin cam twin turbo. I also said the front brakes had been increased from 280mm to 324mm. They replied with a statement of requirements that said the car had to have brakes the same or better than a VL turbo, have a stock computer and had to pass an emissions test, but it also had to go for an inspection. I haven't finished putting the engine in but I doubt I would be able to pass an inspection with all the aftermarket stuff, power FC d-jetro, high mount T04z, suspension stuff, etc. So race only car for me...

This was in 2006 so things may have changed.

Anyone know what the process is for SA?

Baby steps.. probably much easier to get things licensed if you don't just rock up with an insane high mount turbo'd twincam 30 that's a complete animal. Particularly if they say it must pass with a stock ecu.. depends how badly you would want to keep the thing registered though.

• 2 weeks later...

was the car inspected prior to the change of engine or did they somehow just update the details. i was told here in SA there is no way possible to register it because like said on page one. Rb30 twin cam motors never officially existed and never can. what happened to allow you to get that done?

Firstly as I said in previous posts, I'm in NSW (not SA)

All I did was: Engineers report, Blue Slip, Change of details form (brown form for new engine number), Then gave them to the rta and they printed out my new sticker and rego form with the number.

Edited by MintR33

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a real pain in the ass in wa, in nsw as mintr33 has done get engineer's report etc and blue slip it, but this still doesnt save you from the epa, it just means the car is roadworthy, doesnt mean it complies with emissions so still stay clear of the epa unless you've got it passed by them which you can do here, just need an "eviro tune" and the comp to be passworded so you cant change stuff

sounds like a real pain in the ass in wa, in nsw as mintr33 has done get engineer's report etc and blue slip it, but this still doesnt save you from the epa, it just means the car is roadworthy, doesnt mean it complies with emissions so still stay clear of the epa unless you've got it passed by them which you can do here, just need an "eviro tune" and the comp to be passworded so you cant change stuff

Not a pain in the ass in WA, mine was super easy to register.. just don't rock up with a new RB30 with a massive highmount and external gate and expect to pass first go..

I have a question, what is stopping me registering my skyline as having downgraded to an RB30et from a RB25det, then at a later point saying i modded the head to a twin cam for fuel efficiency.... or even not mentioning the twin camming. is there any problems with doing this in Vic to get past the scummy rule jockeys?

Its emissions, simple as that.

Nissan didnt offer it factory, therefore unless you go through full testing it'll never be legal.

Cops are't silly, they know the difference between a RB30et and RB25DET heads :D

Vic is simply a gamble, you thrown the dice, you run the risk.

• 9 months later...
Its emissions, simple as that.

Nissan didnt offer it factory, therefore unless you go through full testing it'll never be legal.

Cops are't silly, they know the difference between a RB30et and RB25DET heads :P

Vic is simply a gamble, you thrown the dice, you run the risk.

Any chance of you writing up a tutorial on how to make an rb25 to rb26 conversion legal, im looking into doing a 26/30 conversion and using the numbers off an rb26 for reg purpose's (yes im fully aware its illegal and other implications down the track if the shit hits the fan), you said you spent 15k getting yours legal, is that more through doing things that later turned out had to be done a different way, or now that you know what has to be done would it still cost the same or are there smarter ways to do it.

Also wondering about things like the ecu, when they do the epa testing do they pull it out and open it up to see if it has been tampered with, as we know using something like nistune can get emissions to a level that is better than factory, when the conversion is first done i will be running standard turbo's and all the extra bits, later down the track when it is legal i will upgrade things although will not be going a big high mount or anything like that, would still like to keep the twins for the factory look.

Also would a factory gtr front mount be considered a mod with the rb26 as it is standard on a gtr?

I spent 15k because i rebuilt the RB26 and so on @ the same time :(

The actual "cost" for me was $550.

All you need to do - in Vic - to get a RB26 conversion rego'd in the paper sense is the following.

1. VASS Engineer Approval, $550-$650 - Enklemen & Assoc (Braeside)

2. RWC - from anyone

3. VicRoads book appointment. Present items #1, #2 & the car, and they will check the Vin/Engine numbers match the documents - alter the registration papers.

You are then legal according to the VicRoads database.

It's a piece of piss to get it done if you already had a RB25 in there, as you do not need brake/gearbox upgrades like you would if you had a RB20, or a non turbo motor ;)

That is where people run into issues - Injected LS1's into a Torana or something - simply wont get sign off for that.

But because the RB26 & RB26 are similar power output ~186kw vs 206kw or whatever, weigh the same, its a very very easy signoff.

I should have never wasted time with my RB25 and just gone RB26 from the start years ago :)

Lowmounts = undetectable :O

• 4 weeks later...

my god.. you guys down south not only get screwed by shitty cold weather.. but you get f**king raped for tryin to have fun, i drove around for 6 weeks with a 26 in the silvia however was still rb20 engine number on the rego got pulled over.. cops didnt pick it, blew the f**ker up.. went thru another motor than i ended up with this cheap ass rb25 in there before i got around to changing the engine number... they didnt even ask to check the engine number, or ask for a reciept for the purchase of the engine

oh and i'm about to slap a rb30det into the same s13 for a bit more fun, i'll let you know what they say when i go to change engine numbers over haha providing it lasts more than a week for my ultimate budget slap together :)

Edited by Cartman

• 1 year later...

Necro !

Interesting thread.

Anyone know the full procedure for registering a 30DET in OLD?

Sorry if there is a more relevant thread for my question.

Plus im sure this may inform some people that otherwise didnt know and wouldn't have searched.

Edited by 045HOW

• 1 month later...

SA:

Ok, just got off the phone with a very helpful guy from vehicle standards! He informed me that so long as there are no blatantly illegal mods (ie: vta bovs, screamer pipes etc), that all i have to do to have it regency approved, is it has to pass the IM240 emissions test ($275), for that of the RB25det (or 26 if that was your original engine etc), they would then site the new engine number and it would be good to go!

He also stated that the MR7 form is not the correct form to use and will only confuse the matter! *Plus he stated that a few years ago they would have said no way, but are being more lenient toward this mod now!

Hope that clears up a few things for the SA guys atleast!