SAU Community

Korean Designers Trying To Re-invent The Speed Hump

scathing

Designers Jae-yun Kim and Jong-Su Lee have devised a stunningly simple concept for the humble speed hump.

speedbumpconcept_thumb.jpg

The idea is simple enough: each speed bump is fitted with retractors that stay closed (flat) if a car hits it at below 30km/h, and open (bump!) if a car hits the bump at any speed over 30km/h.

Kim and Lee’s speed bump concept has been created to reward those of us who agree with the need to drive slow in residential areas, school zones, and shopping complexes, and punish those who don’t.

Source: The Motor Report

im capped so cbf clicking the link, but is there alot of electronics involved?

you could almost achieve the same result by having a strut/shock absorber between the two halves, with the right valving, it could lay down flat (extened shock right out) at low speed, but if your going to fast, the shock wont close up fast enough and you have a bump, make sense? might need a little ramp, long and flat, leading up to the bump to assist it laying down ahead of time but meh, i'm not a civil engineer, you work out the details :)

im not too clear as to how it works...doesnt help that i skimmed it but it opens up if you hit if over 30ks which may mean you wont be ready for it when it pops up and your rears hit it and throws the car into the wall..lol I can only see this in shopping centres, big corprorate business parks the like then again you dont normally do more than 30ks in places like that anways. too many moving parts for the average road which is where speeding usually occurs plus im sure a big ass truck or two would make mice of it. good idea non the less.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them installed in carparks.

I can get in to my local Westfields, but I can't park on the roof because their metal speed humps scrape the undercarriage on my stock ride height car. A mate tore the mid muffler open on his S15 there.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them installed in carparks.

I can get in to my local Westfields, but I can't park on the roof because their metal speed humps scrape the undercarriage on my stock ride height car. A mate tore the mid muffler open on his S15 there.

must be a wesfields thing. my local one has the same problem. my mums rio/my girlfriends pulsar all scrape and are all standard height. then they put a new section in and they are even worse. seen standard 300zx rock on the sill trying to get over one.

EXCELENT IDEA! but why would the government spend $1000 on this smart speed bump (estimating here) to please a small group of enthusiests ( us ) when they can just spend $200 (again an estimate) on a slab of concrete.

it would be awsome for these things to be used but i dont think its ever going to happen.