SAU Community

Newspaper Today, P Platers.

Guest DARKRB

Guest CleanAndSimple
wow, for someone whos brand new on the dorum, you are quite out there...
\

nah im not really im just sick of people not giving the young ones respect.

i worked hard for my car exactly like everyone else on here. so what make me not deserve my car. what my age. if u work hard you can get whatever you what.

basically what people are saying on here anyway

mmm what a driving community ay....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dohmar, in response to catching public transport rather than taking a car if you were a P plater to see a movie together or whatever, I can half agree.

I feel a lot more safe if I was driving in a car rather than catching public transport. Maybe it's just me, because I've grown up in the ugly depths of Hackham West, where I caught the 743 bus daily and was subjected to the shit that the bus collects.

Sure, public transport is convenient, but at the same time, it's usually quicker and safer to just drive somewhere with your mates., depending on the area you're living in.

I'd personally hate to be a 17 year old girl catching the 743 bus alone! F*ck that. If anyone else has ever caught that bus, you'd know what I'm talking about!! Even the bus drivers avoid getting that route!

\

i worked hard for my car exactly like everyone else on here. so what make me not deserve my car. what my age. if u work hard you can get whatever you what.

no one is saying you dont deserve your car. The goverment is saying your not yet skilled enough to be able to drive it safely, and those who agree are agreeing. Dont panic, they started these talks about restrictions when I was on my P's, so youll be on your full license by the time anything happens.

i personally think that P & L platers should be kept to NA 4cyl 2.0ltr or <

i got my P's when i was 16.5 and drove around a 1.6ltr corolla

then upgraded after i got my full license

and to be honest i was just having fun in that corolla getting from A to B

not relying on mums taxi is one of the best things

and if your planning on a big night of drinking the taxi it or have a desi

no one is saying you dont deserve your car. The goverment is saying your not yet skilled enough to be able to drive it safely, and those who agree are agreeing. Dont panic, they started these talks about restrictions when I was on my P's, so youll be on your full license by the time anything happens.

Too many people taking things personally. Fact: young drivers do not have the skills or experience for fast cars, or any car for that matter. So you are less likely to get into trouble with an under-powered car. You all know this.

Hell, I grew up around racers and in a drag racing/speedway/rallying family. I had alot of temptation there. I got given good advice and take to private properties and "shown a few things", but I never thought I was able to handle some of the cars/bikes I drove back then. I learnt skill and safety ... skill and safety. Not power and speed. :( I've sinced circuit raced and drag raced. I've done some ridiculous speeds and had some spectacular crashes. I'm forever reminded how dangerous modern machines are. I can appreciate speed and power, but not without skill and experience. I had inherited my uncles drag/street car when I was 17, but I sold it to my step father and drove around in a tiny 2 door Honda Civic. Hell, I even stayed on a 250cc motorbike for 10 years before upgrading, even tho I was tracking faster machines. I just didn't want that temptation on the street.

I just think today's young drivers are brought up in a misleading environment: You must have a big powerful car/bike or you have a small dick. Hollywood promoting you look cool in a fast car. You're spoon fed bullshit and you believe it, because you want to be cool. You want to outdo your mates ride and so on and so on. Then the authorities take action to reduce deaths as a result of current trends and young drivers suddenly get antsy? Wake up! Like crying babies when their lolly is taken away. If you're crying and bitching over this, then you're not ready for other things life has to offer.

Sure cars are safer today, but drivers are taking bigger risks and higher speeds to compensate for that safety, therefore still killing themselves and passengers. The only solution: less speed and less power ... take away the temptation to drive a fast car by limiting the cars they can drive. Simple. :(

Enjoy life dont start bitching already wait till you have to pay a morgage then you can bitch (it hurts)

I have two mortgages ... can I bitch twice as much? :P

Edited by RubyRS4

Sure, public transport is convenient, but at the same time, it's usually quicker and safer to just drive somewhere with your mates., depending on the area you're living in.

Dunno about you, but theres no way I'd ever take my GTR out when seeing a movie. Theres no way I could enjoy a movie, knowing that my car is sitting in a car park.

Dunno about that bus line u mentioned, but having been on the last train to gawler on a saturday night, I can half imagine... but whats wrong with taxis? I mean if u got money for petrol, parking, movie tickets, popcorn and beer then the $20 for a cab really isnt much to ask I dont think...

I for one love the public transport. Means I can leave the car at home with 2 big ass dogs to guard...

Still if we accept your point that public transport is bad, whats to say you can't drive a sigma or a prius? Do you really need something with over 100kw to take friends to the movies? Hell no...

-D

EDIT: All this talk has made me want to buy a GL sigma. They really do drive quite nicely....

Edited by Dohmar

... but whats wrong with taxis? I mean if u got money for petrol, parking, movie tickets, popcorn and beer then the $20 for a cab really isnt much to ask I dont think...

I for one love the public transport. Means I can leave the car at home with 2 big ass dogs to guard...

There's no way in hell I'll fund those farking lunatics. They can't speak english and they never know where they're going anyway.

Out of 4 car accidents I've had in my life, all 4 involved impatient cab drivers speeding or running red lights. I've even had mates knocked off their bikes from hoon cab drivers. I hate em. They're scum. Road hogs, law breakers, road ragers and hoons.

:(

There's no way in hell I'll fund those farking lunatics. They can't speak english and they never know where they're going anyway.

Out of 4 car accidents I've had in my life, all 4 involved impatient cab drivers speeding or running red lights. I've even had mates knocked off their bikes from hoon cab drivers. I hate em. They're scum. Road hogs, law breakers, road ragers and hoons.

:(

Yeah you're half right there... bunch of them cant drive for shit, especially the paki's/indians.... tho if you're lucky to get an anglo driver you gotta put up with the conversation.... I do have a hate on for taxis when I'm in my GTR but if I'm so drunk I'm about to pass out/puke, then the taxi is my very bestest friend ;D

-D

(Tho I suppose if I puke in his cab then its revenge for the bike riders, eh ruby?)

Good point, Dohmar. At the same time, I don't expect most P plater's own a GTR! Maybe they should apply the passenger restriction rule to imports/modified cars only (as most of the time, it's the kids in the imports with all their mates who want to show off).

But yeah, I've been to the movies and left the GTR in the carpark once... and that's when I had my BBS tire caps stolen! Hooray for the microwave sensor scaring them off, though.

I still take the GTR to shopping centres, though. Although, since I've started doing this, I've found about 5 pin dents on various places on the car!

And taxi's all depend on where you live to where you're going. For me, it'd cost me at least $50 to get from home to the Marion Megaplex! So it doesn't justify the costs.

(Tho I suppose if I puke in his cab then its revenge for the bike riders, eh ruby?)

Puke away! I really can't stand the bastards.

Its a toss up between P-plate commonwhore drivers and cab drivers.

We've been riding in groups down Anzac Highway and had cabs hustle thru us. Almost ran down a mate and my brother in the process. He actually thought it was okay to do that :( Thats just one example. Had a cab so close up my arse one night he actually nudged my bike. Then started abusing me ... I was in the left lane and about 5kph over the speed limit at the time. :( Anytime after midnight on any night, they're lunatics. They're dangerous at the best of times. Cab drivers truly believe they own the road.

Every time I see one broke down, I'll yell out "sucked in f**ker!". :P I really don't care.

Edited by RubyRS4

mmm... yes i fully understand all of this now. still dont think its fair tho. but you know if i have to work up to drive my car, then i will. easy and done..

how did i know this would end up as a forum debate bullshit....

Tom, in no way am I singling you out or picking on you (I have kids that'll be in your shoes 1 day) but you actually instigated the debate by requesting forum opinion in your 1st post (see your post below).

So far I think that those that are for the proposed laws, have been relatively constructive......could you say the same thing for those against?!

In Todays Newspaper (Tuesday 16-12-2008) They are talking about making it illegal for p platers to drive "High powered Vehicles" also passenger limits and night curfews.

just wanted to see what everyone else is thinking? because i think its crap and just another way to make this world a more hard and miserable place to drive a car!!

If you're young, you earn it and pay it first.

Lol those SX's aren't too bad! They look half decent, too. Pity about the FWD, though.

yea i think they loook ok.

handle alright, good on fuel. for a first car they're a lot of fun, cheap to run. still, i wouldn't have it if there were no p plate laws.

they have approved 3 comments to that news story, this one is gold, anyone from here?

"It's narrow minded "media" (i use that term loosely in this case) like you that cause the headline grabbing police policies in the first place. "And how about a mega-expensive licence fee for anyone under 25 who wants to drive a car with more than four cylinders?" I dont even know where to begin with how stupid this statement is. Get a clue before you go publishing your uninformed opinions."

im half half about this situation.....

i think Adelaide need to get off there slow ass and introduce a defensive driving programme on a skid pan, teach control etc.

fuuk knows what would happen to my missus if her lancer suddenly skipped out

sideways, she would have no idea how to bring it back, AND SHE'S BEEN DRIVING 9 YEARS!!!

ditto to that.

I'm about to come off my P's and currently my boyfriend has been teaching me what to do if a car skids out, because I had no idea what to do, by taking me onto the beach in his commo. He's going to try teaching me my car [being front wheel drive] on the beach as well.

but seriously we need a defensive driving course in adelaide on a skid pan. the number of people i know who've crashed or almost crashed in the hills [not doing idiotic things-just because of the state of some of the roads] is huge