SAU Community

Air Con Re-gas?

Tyson 1990

With the mentality you have, I would. I'll explain it in simple terms for you then. The gas is drier then R134a and other a/c gases, friction creates heat, then bang.

Sorry if this seems rude, but really?

HyChill has been used for MANY YEARS with no problem. Yes its flammable, and if you are wanker A/C repairer/tech that doesn't know how to do his job properly then it can become dangerous. The rest of the country use HyChill, as does the Kiwi's, euro's and the yanks. If it was that dangerous and shit, why is it so popular?

Also the 'reports' that you refer to are likely from another hydrocarbon refrigerant that was for sale in the southern states for some time(or perhaps straight LPG which is drier than 134a). The stuff for sale was not odoured, and obviously went bang when left undetected.

A little bit of research on your part before talking down a safe and very reliable product would have been best. Queensland is the only backward state in this country that 'bans' HyChill from use in CAR a/c systems.

Further more, 134a is extra expensive, toxic to humans and far more dangerous for the environment than hydrocarbon refrigerant.

Also I think you will find that most house hold fridges made these days are also filled with a flammable refrigerant(usually another Hychill branded product). Should we remove those from our houses before they explode?

I use Hychill in both my HR31 import and my R33GTR with no dramas or magic explosions! Also its more efficient, colder and best of all, operates at lower head pressures which means less wear on your A/C components!

Again, my apologies if this seems rude or harsh, but HyChill is a great product, only untrained techs make it unsafe.

You have some good points, Hychill is a much colder gas and is more efficient then R134a. I'm interested in knowing how you can state that he has less wear on a/c components due to lower pressures? I deal with a company that has done excessive testing with this gas, as they rebuild compressors and repair systems regularly, and see the damage this gas has done to the components. From what this company has said to me is the oil's used with R134a aren't compatible with Hychill due to the dryness of the gas. They have seen more compressor failures since this gas has been introduced in Queensland.

The drama with repairers using this gas, is that most of them have no experience with a/c in general and have just got on the bandwagon thinking they are going to make masive profits. The companies that use this gas, in my opinion, don't do the correct testing required first before they use Hychill. When gas leaks out of the system, WHICH IT DOES LEAK OUT, oil that pass around the system comes out with the gas. When this happens it starves the compressor of oil and wears the components inside. Now, when an untrained person doesn't do the correct testing procedures or repairs, they use Hychill due to it being unharmful to the environment and they don't worry about repairing the system, is when this gas becomes dangerous. As the gas leaks out once again it starves the compressor again of oil and thats when most compressors fail big time. Not only that, you also have a highly flamable gas leaking into the engine bay, which call me crazy, is a recipe for disaster. If a compressor has failed while using R134a, which it does, all it's going to do sieze up and stop working.

I have been informed by a rep last week, ARC Tick are making people who want to buy this gas, be licenced to buy and distribute the gas for now on. R134a will be phased out in the next few years and replaced by a gas that is going through testing overseas and will be used firstly in cars like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc. Leading compressor company Sanden, are working with this gas to make there compressors and oil's compatible. Until this happens i'll stay using R134a unless they do more development with Hychill with oils etc.

Hope this info provided gives you another out look on the subject. If anyone else wants to know more info, I would do the call around to companies that build compressors to get there opinion before you make your decision.

You have some good points, Hychill is a much colder gas and is more efficient then R134a. I'm interested in knowing how you can state that he has less wear on a/c components due to lower pressures? I deal with a company that has done excessive testing with this gas, as they rebuild compressors and repair systems regularly, and see the damage this gas has done to the components. From what this company has said to me is the oil's used with R134a aren't compatible with Hychill due to the dryness of the gas. They have seen more compressor failures since this gas has been introduced in Queensland.

The drama with repairers using this gas, is that most of them have no experience with a/c in general and have just got on the bandwagon thinking they are going to make masive profits. The companies that use this gas, in my opinion, don't do the correct testing required first before they use Hychill. When gas leaks out of the system, WHICH IT DOES LEAK OUT, oil that pass around the system comes out with the gas. When this happens it starves the compressor of oil and wears the components inside. Now, when an untrained person doesn't do the correct testing procedures or repairs, they use Hychill due to it being unharmful to the environment and they don't worry about repairing the system, is when this gas becomes dangerous. As the gas leaks out once again it starves the compressor again of oil and thats when most compressors fail big time. Not only that, you also have a highly flamable gas leaking into the engine bay, which call me crazy, is a recipe for disaster. If a compressor has failed while using R134a, which it does, all it's going to do sieze up and stop working.

I have been informed by a rep last week, ARC Tick are making people who want to buy this gas, be licenced to buy and distribute the gas for now on. R134a will be phased out in the next few years and replaced by a gas that is going through testing overseas and will be used firstly in cars like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc. Leading compressor company Sanden, are working with this gas to make there compressors and oil's compatible. Until this happens i'll stay using R134a unless they do more development with Hychill with oils etc.

Hope this info provided gives you another out look on the subject. If anyone else wants to know more info, I would do the call around to companies that build compressors to get there opinion before you make your decision.

First up. I totally agree with you re unqualified techs using HyChill. But remember, The oil used with 134 is flammable when under pressure, so when over filled, can become quiet dangerous.

When HyChill is used and gassed correctly you have much less head pressure than 134a. Hychill is best run at 190/30 (PSI)for best results. The condensor will not get hot enough to touch when gassed correctly. If said compressor repair shop is having issues with other shops and this gas, I'd suspect they are using too much gas, running WAY too much head pressure (anything over 250 with this stuff isn't great). Hychill requires 1/3 the amount(BY WEIGHT)of 134a in any car A/C system. To my knowledge, all 134a oils are compatible with MINUS30(HyChill gas) I use ROCK in both my systems (my HR31GTS has been running it for over 18months).

You should keep in mind, That if you are NOT A QUALIFIED service tech for 134a, IT IS ILLEGAL to touch ANY A/C system. Any workshop not skilled in 134a shouldn't be touching A/C systems. Infact I think now you need an ARC ticket to touch A/C? So yes, I'll agree that in the wrong hands, HyChill is dangerous, BUT so is EVERYTHING else. Give your car keys to a wanker and all of a sudden, its dangerous when is does the wrong thing with the car( Drive flat out through Brisbane mall for example).

On the subject of leaks in engine bays, Keep in mind the motors are internal combustion. no flames on the outside of the engine. Typically most systems only have 250g or so of this gas in the system, and any leak will just leak and not cause an explosion( nor will it add to global warming). Also the ignition point of this gas is quiet high (i think around 400odd deg, Can't remember). Think of all the taxi's and other gas systems in circulation and tell me none of them have leaks in the engine bay. Using this gas can be dangerous, but when used correctly, its VERY safe and very environment friendly.

As for your ARC rep, I hope this is the case, I REALLY DO. But from what I've been told else where, there are 2 high up Political guys holding this back for qld, and show no signs of budging. So I suspect it will be 'Illegal' for some time to come.

Once again, my apologies if this seems rude or harsh!

Happy motoring