SAU Community

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 3 types of LSD? I did read the Kaaz version 1, 1.5 & 2 way LSDs but it doesn't make sense which one is best for a GTS-T.

One way LSD

Specially suited for front wheel drive cars and 4WD car front axles.

Activates under acceleration, and acts as a true LSD when the throttle is

off. A great chance for improved lap times. A CUSCO original design.

1.5 way LSD

Activates under acceleration while the understeer is less than on the 2 way

LSD.Recommended for drivers having difficulty with 2 way LSD understeer and

one way LSD braking.

Two way LSD

Recommended on the rear axle for rear drive cars. Activates on both

acceleration and deceleration. Recommended for those who prefer hot driving

action and big angle drift.

I have a friend who has a supra JZA80 and one day when reversing, his left side rear fell into a ditch but his right side tyre is still on the ground. Despite one wheel is still movable, when he accelerated only the tyre which fell into the ditch spins. The right side doesn't even do anything. Does that means he doesn't have LSD or does it mean that all the power is shifted to the Left Tyre.

The above is an example only. The main question is which LSD can counter the problem above? 1, 1.5 or 2-way LSD? I do know more plates will cause more tightness and more traction though.

Edited by teng

if the unloaded wheel is spinning wildly and the loaded wheel isn't moving he does NOT have an LSD...

All those diffs you mention will solve this problem on acceleration... however where they all differ is deceleration... 1 way does not lock at all on deceleration, 1.5 way partially locks and 2 way locks the same amount on accel as decel

NickR33 Thanks for the reply. When using search, alot of members here go for the 2-way full lock LSD. The prices for the 1.5 & 2 way aren't that much of a difference. For daily driving, i should just go for 1.5-way then. Too much understeer is a problem as well.

• 2 weeks later...

One last question i forgot to mention. The stock LSD doesn't seem to have a lifespan. Very rare does the stock LSD needs replacing. How about the NISMO, KAAZ, CUSCO ones. Do they have the same lifespan as the stock ones. Just curious.

Very rare does the stock LSD need replacing? Are you joking? They always need replacing lol. Most of the stock LSDs out there are single spinners now. Any mechanical diff will outlast a stock viscous diff by many many years.

I have a friend who has a supra JZA80 and one day when reversing, his left side rear fell into a ditch but his right side tyre is still on the ground. Despite one wheel is still movable, when he accelerated only the tyre which fell into the ditch spins. The right side doesn't even do anything. Does that means he doesn't have LSD or does it mean that all the power is shifted to the Left Tyre.
if the unloaded wheel is spinning wildly and the loaded wheel isn't moving he does NOT have an LSD...

unless it's a Torsen!

MKIV Supras have a Torsen diff in them, which *IS* an LSD however it has the peculiar trait that if one wheel is in the air then the diff loses its LSD action. If your friend had put his foot on the brake a little while the unloaded tyre was free-spinning then the diff would have locked up and dragged him out.

unless it's a Torsen!

MKIV Supras have a Torsen diff in them, which *IS* an LSD however it has the peculiar trait that if one wheel is in the air then the diff loses its LSD action. If your friend had put his foot on the brake a little while the unloaded tyre was free-spinning then the diff would have locked up and dragged him out.

You mean like the ones in s15's? Handbrake on slightly gets them working properly with a wheel in the air.

The way i understand it is that if you have one wheel in the air a traditional LSD will still act as a single spinner as it needs some resistance to transfer torque to the other wheel.

Yeah the handbrake is what creates the resistance

• 4 weeks later...
Very rare does the stock LSD need replacing? Are you joking? They always need replacing lol. Most of the stock LSDs out there are single spinners now. Any mechanical diff will outlast a stock viscous diff by many many years.

I'm beginning to understand this theory. Alot of times when coming out of a T-junction. Put my foot down, 1st gear and turning right, i can only hear spinning from my right side before going out to the main lane. Time to get a new LSD i guess. My LSD isn't Viscous nor mechanical though. When browsing Nengun, mechanical diff are for primera. Nismo has GT LSD and Cusco has RS Type.

Still don't know what to get, Nismo or Cusco. And the high Japanese Yen is spoiling my plans ><

Nismo GT LSD

http://www.nengun.com/nismo/gt-lsd-mechanical-lsd

Cusco RS LSD

http://www.nengun.com/cusco/lsd-type-rs

Note: The nismo one is cheaper though :)

Edited by teng