SAU Community

R32 Gtr With Black Smoke/miss Fire

whiteboy01

Hey guys,

I have owned the GTR for about 2 years now and have blow 2 lots of turbos in that time. Being a poor bastard and liking the stock power I replaced them with stock ones again. That was all fine and dandy makeing about 0.9 Bar boost all day every day. The car is completly stock engine wise. Basic support mods include HKS Intercooler, HKS Exhuast and HKS BOV. Stock ECU, Injectors ect

Now heres my problem. I have been using it as my dayly driver for abit now giving it a fairly easy life putting around in traffic. Now all of a sudden it doesn't like to boost pass 0.6 bar and blows a f**k load of smoke out the back. Missfires and doesn't go very fast. The car still revs to 7.5k, idles fine, builds boost quickly as well. Smokey ilde sometimes.

I have checked the following -

1. Blocked BOV - Didnt notice and different
  2. Checked all pipping - intercooler hoses and fuel lines - all ok here
  3. Reset ECU - no change
  4. Checked for shity fuel with water in it. Flushed tank - still the same

Going to do a compression test this weekend will report back with what i find, the problem is i have done alot of research and it points to a leaking intercooler pipe. Checked all the piping a million times now and still nothing comes up.

I also can't take it to a machinic because i live in a small rural town full of FORDs and Holdens and the mechs scratch there heads with my car. My last resort will be chucking it in the back or a trailer and taking it to HyperDrive MS.

Cheers, :P

black smoke is excess fuel

checked AFM's? Mine started to occasional stall whilst on light load. needed cleaning and now all good, better + better throttle response.

Checked plugs / gaps / leads ?? with increased boost the spark can be 'blown' out with a large gap/stuffed plug as boost increases

yeh can imagine very few nissan turbos floating round in gero :P

Dont know the gaps of the top of my head, never replaced/regapped mine, do a search

the problem doesnt sound mechanical as you said the car idles fine/normal & builds boost as per normal.

am thinking a boost leak but you've said you already checked all hoses. could be a stuck open bov.

you've dropped 0.3 bar all of a sudden and theres misfiring, spluttering so am thikning theres still 0.9bar worth of fuel going in

Edited by Mike__

Dont know the gaps of the top of my head, never replaced/regapped mine, do a search

the problem doesnt sound mechanical as you said the car idles fine/normal & builds boost as per normal.

am thinking a boost leak but you've said you already checked all hoses. could be a stuck open bov.

you've dropped 0.3 bar all of a sudden and theres misfiring, spluttering so am thikning theres still 0.9bar worth of fuel going in

Just for a update the car is struggling to idle now, blowing black smoke on idle. Car still revs fine but with alot of miss fire.

Compression test will tell whats wrong.

Yer man... had a few goodies since then. Now she is stuffed, hardly idles and blows white and blue smoke now...

definently comp test it.

white smoke is unburnt fuel and blue is oil smoke.

almost sounds like a hole in a piston..

definently comp test it.

white smoke is unburnt fuel and blue is oil smoke.

almost sounds like a hole in a piston..

Just to correct that,

White smoke is coolant

Black is Petrol

Blue is oil

Edited by bnr#@

Just to correct that,

White smoke is coolant

Black is Petrol

Blue is oil

what ever mate.

EXCESS fuel is black smoke.

UNBURNT fuel from not unuf compression or no spark is white smoke.

water smoke is steam not smoke.

what ever mate.

EXCESS fuel is black smoke.

UNBURNT fuel from not unuf compression or no spark is white smoke.

water smoke is steam not smoke.

So now compression test is next....

If it is a piston that is stuffed is it possible to do a RB30 NA swap over? Any good guids out? I have found the PDF but it skipped alot of things like ECU ect....

blue smoke is oil burning

white smoke is oil heating up not being burnt.

You might have a shagged turbo

check coolant/oil levels & if there contaminated by one or the other.

agree to do a compression & leak down test

[if it is a piston that is stuffed is it possible to do a RB30 NA swap over? Any good guids out? I have found the PDF but it skipped alot of things like ECU ect....

im thinking of doing an rb30 conversion as well, we'll have to have another drag after, lol

[if it is a piston that is stuffed is it possible to do a RB30 NA swap over? Any good guids out? I have found the PDF but it skipped alot of things like ECU ect....

im thinking of doing an rb30 conversion as well, we'll have to have another drag after, lol

compression test done

• 1st 140
  • 2nd 140
  • 3rd 150
  • 4th 150
  • 5th 130
  • 6th 130

All rough figures being noob at it doesn't help. Give or take 5PSI. So what does this mean? Everything ok? I'm leaning towards the turbos now. Is there any way to check?

Do a diagnostic search, could easily be an AFM or cas or igniter.

Ok how do i check the AFM? I have unpluged them and notice both times the car nearly stalling but car ran the same. Do i need to clean them? If so what with? I have the stock air box and just a panel filter.

CAS? Crank angle sensor? is that on the front of the engine? Unpluged that and the car didn't start. Pluged it back in and the car was the same.

Fuel. Don't know how i'm spose to check the fuel pressure. I will ask my mech mate tomorrow.