SAU Community

2009 F1 Season

dezz

Even the SD broadcast finishes at 1am. Hardly requires a day off work :|

Some of us have to wake up at 4:30am and work a physical job....Either way, easier to take a day off and enjoy a sleep in..

Im sorry.

Im not a HUGE follower of the F1. I watch every now and again and try keep up to date as much as possible.

But does any one else think Webber is HUGELY over-rated!?

He has very breif moments of brilliance but on the whole he is pretty average.

I dont understand why everyone talks him up so much! Just because he is Australian? and its natural to support your country? Or do people acctualy beleive the rubbish they talk?

Is there something Im missing?.. does he have one leg?.. Is he acctually a decent driver?

Anyone with more knowledge of F1, please, shed some light on this.

Yep, I don't rate him very highly at all. Most people that talk him up say how unlucky he is (first turn incidents etc), but the way I see it, there's 19 other cars out there that have to make it through the first corner mayhem too, and most of them do it on a regular basis..

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I don't rate him very highly at all. Most people that talk him up say how unlucky he is (first turn incidents etc), but the way I see it, there's 19 other cars out there that have to make it through the first corner mayhem too, and most of them do it on a regular basis..

+1.

BUT he is "Australia's Mark Webber" ;)

I like the guy, i like the way to goes racing, i loved watching him in the wet at Phllip Island in for FF days. He deserves to be there and would love to see him get a win or at least a break. The fact is he isnt the best in F1 but is one of the best 8 in my eyes and there are plenty of bigger hacks before him who have won GPs and some have even won WDCs so i just like to see the guy get a result

Yeah wasnt happy with the race last night as i had $10 on lewis to win as he was payin $17 lol thought he mite of just needed a few races to get into it but o well.....my thoughts on Mark Webber are pretty simple, He's Australian, He's not THE BEST but he is one of only a few people in the world to race Fomula 1 cars ;) so therefore good on him and i hope gets a Win soon cause he is Far Overdue lol..

BUT he is "Australia's Mark Webber" :D

I like the guy, i like the way to goes racing, i loved watching him in the wet at Phllip Island in for FF days. He deserves to be there and would love to see him get a win or at least a break. The fact is he isnt the best in F1 but is one of the best 8 in my eyes and there are plenty of bigger hacks before him who have won GPs and some have even won WDCs so i just like to see the guy get a result

couldn't have put it better myself. I've loved watching him race in everything he's been in, including those upside down mercs... ;) and he always has something good to say in an interview, and his qualy pace back when there was 1 lap qualifying was amazing. that as much as anything else shows he has the skill and the balls to get on the pace in 1 lap, in rubbish cars (jag etc).

+1 for Webber fan club

he brings no cash like brazilians, indians, japanese drivers yet he has held his seat all this time.

he qualifies well and when the car has genuine pace or in the wet he usually goes forward.

when the car breaks or he is hit he doesn't like 100% of the other drivers.

yesterday he was off the pace by about 0.5sec to 1.0 sec compared to Vettel and this was IMO one of his worst races as there was a stint with little traffic on the harder tyres and he couldn't get any pace out of the car at this point (compared to the times Vettel eked out on the hard tyres. the car set up looked different.

one of the top 6 drivers in my book.

Yeah wasnt happy with the race last night as i had $10 on lewis to win as he was payin $17 lol thought he mite of just needed a few races to get into it but o well.....my thoughts on Mark Webber are pretty simple, He's Australian, He's not THE BEST but he is one of only a few people in the world to race Fomula 1 cars ;) so therefore good on him and i hope gets a Win soon cause he is Far Overdue lol..

He doesn't need to 'get into it'- by his own admission the car is a p.o.s atm (but at least one of the better kers cars)

It's a miracle he managed 5th, and as far as I'm concerned, shows his talent in being decently competetive in a 40% there setup

yesterday he was off the pace by about 0.5sec to 1.0 sec compared to Vettel and this was IMO one of his worst races as there was a stint with little traffic on the harder tyres and he couldn't get any pace out of the car at this point (compared to the times Vettel eked out on the hard tyres. the car set up looked different.

one of the top 6 drivers in my book.

Was interesting, but as all the drivers said a few laps behind slower cars took the edge of the lap speed of the tyres Given that Webber had clean air he could have been at his heaviest fuel wise, tyre trouble or on his hardest tyre...too many vairables. But who knows, it could simply mean that Vettel was quicker even given the same circumstances

Loved the comments in the post race interviews from Vettel and Button about Lewis's 'magic button' .... Is funny that no KERS car has been on the podium this year, though it has certainly made passing on the straights far more interesting when someone can be all FnF and try push to pass ... Looking forward to the sphincter of the universe and the car revisions that should be on most of the cars

It just seems like when Webber makes good progress.. and acctually is in a good possition.. he stays there for a couple of laps and then just snaps and ends up in a tree..

It just seems like when Webber makes good progress.. and acctually is in a good possition.. he stays there for a couple of laps and then just snaps and ends up in a tree..

Webber has had his share of bad luck and 2nd and 3rd tier car issues but to the best of my knowledge not since the flying car incident he hasn't been in the trees.

It is almost certainly something he hasn't tried in F1 although i remember Allan Moffat going into a tree in an RX7 (if memory serves) back when touring cars were cool.

Now if you mostly watch news updates you will get a skewed view of how drivers are performing without understanding the machinery they are peddling.

Massa is struggling and Button is a potential WDC this year. The news reports 12mths ago would tell you that Button was someone that had potential but never delivered.....the right car and suddenly the roles are reversed.

Hmm..Didn't Brawn (or Honda as it was last year) started development and "testing" for the 09 around about the middle of last season. I can also remember Ross Brawn stating that he had a top level engine (or are more powerful/devoloped Honda engine)..they would be more competitive? Now he has Mercedes engines and they are beating the factory team. It kinda reminds me when Super Aguri came on the scene and they scored more points then the factory Honda team.

Did you read about how David Richards is considering a return to F1 next year on the provision that there a cost cap of aprrox. 30 million pounds (which I think it's arppoved) and there is greater technical freedom for cost capped teams. If it's all good then David Richards will come back into F1 with Aston Martin (which he is the chairman of) and has alot of shop space for an F1 since he's (well Prodrive) not doing rallying anymore

I wonder who else will come into F1 - since there are three spots available (or two if David Richards comes in)

Technically there is no factory Honda team anymore.... they are Brawn GP so I don't know which factory team you're talking about...?

Another team (Peter Winsor is involved) which will be based out of the USA will enter F1 and Lola is talking also about a come back to F1.

Technically there is no factory Honda team anymore.... they are Brawn GP so I don't know which factory team you're talking about...?

Another team (Peter Winsor is involved) which will be based out of the USA will enter F1 and Lola is talking also about a come back to F1.

He means Brawn GP beating McLaren Mercedes with their engine

Not an isolated occurance this season- Red Bull has more points as a customer than Renault does, and same same for STR with their Ferrari engines.

But everyone that beats McLaren does so with a control ECU manufactured by them anyway. lol

...and was thinking- what happens if this 30 million pound/year plan gets up? what will be the team number limit, and how do they decide who's included or not?

England are now in danger of losing the British GP, Ecclestone says baks have pulled pin from Donington.... Silverstone and Brans Hatch are not options according to Bernie.....