SAU Community

2009 F1 Season

dezz

As happy as i am to see button win the chamionship, i've always been of the opinion that if he had an alonso/schumi/hamilton type challenger and not some schmuck like vettel or rubens chasing him down for the WDC, they would have eaten him alive

The guy excels on every type of circuit no matter the cars deficiencies may be. Button on the other hand was only good when it all fell in place. To his credit he took maximum advantage of it, but he's no top tier driver in any way, shape or form. Next year i think will illustrate that, when he's has some quality guys on his heels

Edited by ctjet

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too sure I'd be too quick to put Hamilton alongside names like Schumacher and Alonso...Yes he was WDC, no argument there, but he has shown himself to be a choker on more than one occasion..

Yes he's a WDC, but so is Button..

Thats massively short sighted. Anybody with half an unbiased view can see that hammo is something special and not just some mid pack grid filler. It why a team, a great team at that, has been build around him at the age of just 24.

The teams dont invest that sort of money into drivers according to what the read on internet message boards. They have the money to buy anybody on the face of the planet they want to fill that seat... and they've chosen Lewis. They see the telemetry and the real team mate comparisons, not the diluted results we see at races with god knows what factors influencing the outcome.

Its also rediculous to judge a driver by the amount of championships he has. The Stirling Moss story is just one example thats beaten to death. That seems to be more of a crutch that Schumacher fans hang onto to try to diminish the efforts of those taking over the mantle.

What makes Hammo special (like schumacher, like Alonso) is he's a true racer, he lives to race, and you can see it in the way he carries himself when a win slips through his fingers. He doesnt have to win 5 championships to prove he's good, he shows us every fortnight when he tries his heart out to do the best he can for himself and his team.

lol.

Surely you don't actually think that every other F1 driver isn't the same as what you've described above. Perfect example from Brazil is Kobiyashi. First race, obviously not in the WDC, and fought his ass off to keep the WDC leader behind him. Why not just let him past? Because he's there to race, that's what he does.

Same can be said about teams being able to choose any driver.

I also find it hilarious that you'll openly refer to Vettel as a shmuck, even though he just beat your boyfriend in the WDC. Same goes for Rubens. Both of those shmucks just beat the man you are implying would have taken care of Button IF he was chasing him for the title.

Pretty amusing post that..

Regardless of what people thought of the MP4-22's superiority, in his rookie year Hamilton equaled the season vet Alonso's points in the same car in 2007 (109). And that included twice as many race wins in his first season as Mark Webber has managed in his whole F1 career. No mean feat, really (compare and contrast to Martin Brundle; nice guy, decent commentator, 0 F1 race wins)

Then with the MP4-23 he almost doubled Heikki's points for the year (98 plays 53), and smoked Alonso by miles too (61)

And if we needed any more proof He's the real deal, even with the MP4-24 as bad as it was at the start of the year, He's still almost doubled Alonso's tally and more than doubled Heikki's (49, 26, 22)

I for one am glad He says He wants to spend his career at McLaren. He should go a long way to helping enable the worlds best racing team to collect many more WCC trophies

lol.

Surely you don't actually think that every other F1 driver isn't the same as what you've described above. Perfect example from Brazil is Kobiyashi. First race, obviously not in the WDC, and fought his ass off to keep the WDC leader behind him. Why not just let him past? Because he's there to race, that's what he does.

Same can be said about teams being able to choose any driver.

once again you've completely missed the point

Pushing to keep the guy behind you is completely different chasing down and passing the guy infornt of you. Your example is nonesense

I also find it hilarious that you'll openly refer to Vettel as a shmuck, even though he just beat your boyfriend in the WDC. Same goes for Rubens. Both of those shmucks just beat the man you are implying would have taken care of Button IF he was chasing him for the title.

Pretty amusing post that..

Again, your petty mentality blinds you type of pseudo fans and typically you see only the facade. Vettel's car is far superior to if not all of the chasing pack. Hamlton's car has been nowhere near the performance of the redbull, but when it has on certain tracks , Hamilton has shown the pack a clean pair of heels and taken wins, unlike his teammate.

Your immature posts dont work when you attempt to 'contribute' in a thread where most people are generally better informed and willing to attempt constructive conversation rather than share their mindless drivel

Edited by ctjet

Be fair to captain chin.

He has only had a decent car for one season.

fiddlesticks

there was nothing wrong with his Williams. he tripped over his own feet or got messed up with scuffles more times than i care to count

I posted my opinion after reading your post, I can't be blamed for you having a cry like every other Louise fan boy in here.

So when Hamilton's car is good he's won races...Pretty sure that's what Button did at the start of the season.

Same can be said of the Ferrari, both Kimi and Massa were able to man handle it to the pointy end of the grid, where as Badoer and Fisichella have failed miserably.

Hamilton won his WDC with the best car on the grid, and yet still almost managed to lose it. Sure, he's a good driver, I'm of the opinion that every driver in the field is a good driver, they wouldn't be anywhere near an F1 car in any capacity as a driver, be it test or race, if they weren't. But to say that Button would've been 'eaten alive' if he had Hamilton etc after him seems like a ridiculous thing to say.

It's like saying that IF Hamilton was closer in the WDC points, he'd have more of a chance of winning the title...The point is he wasn't, Button was, Rubens was, Vettel was. All of whom had great cars under them for large parts of the season, just as Hamilton did when he won his WDC.

fiddlesticks!! (that is a great bit of smack so take this one back) haazaaa, put up your dukes and i will teach you a lesson with the sweet science old chum.

I reckon the Williams was a poor car with poor reliability. I reckon the Jaguar was worse. I know the Minardi was rubbish.

(we have seen what happens to good drivers in average cars, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton)

I reckon the Williams was a poor car with poor reliability. I reckon the Jaguar was worse. I know the Minardi was rubbish.

(we have seen what happens to good drivers in average cars, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton)

Well he managed a solitary podium in the 'rubbish' Minardi, but then couldn't do anything much with the Jag (which I refuse to believe was worse than the Minardi) or the Williams.

He can thank his lucky stars that the cheater-diffuser/no-KERS thing worked out to Red Bull's favour along with some other teams, or you can pretty much bet He'd still be Ol' Marky Mark No-Wins from Queenbeyan.

I really like Webber though- He's no nonsense and the sort of bloke you'd love to have whip you at karting or have some beers with, but He'll never be our Aussie WDC :)

I posted my opinion after reading your post, I can't be blamed for you having a cry like every other Louise fan boy in here.

:)

whos crying?

I offered a counterpoint to your argument, just because you choose try and degenerate any type of criticism into some juvenile war doesnt make your points any more or less valid

So when Hamilton's car is good he's won races...Pretty sure that's what Button did at the start of the season.

hazaa... that was kind of the crux of my argument

he's dramatic drop off mid season, in qualifying pace and race results, would have left him vulnerable to a driver with the ability to get results out of cars that dont drive like they should on any particular weekend.

It's like saying that IF Hamilton was closer in the WDC points, he'd have more of a chance of winning the title...The point is he wasn't, Button was, Rubens was, Vettel was. All of whom had great cars under them for large parts of the season, just as Hamilton did when he won his WDC.

It seems like your not getting this

My initial post was all about the 'if' and had nothing to do with the actual reality of the situation. It was all completely hypothetical.

An easier way of explaing my point is; in my opinion if Lewis or Alonso were Button's team mate, theres no way Button would have walked away this years WDC

Perfect example from Brazil is Kobiyashi. First race, obviously not in the WDC, and fought his ass off to keep the WDC leader behind him. Why not just let him past? Because he's there to race, that's what he does.

Gotta take you to task on that one point Dezz; The only reason Button had a hard time passing him was because Kobiyashi kept on illegally having multiple position changes into corners in defence of his line. Jenson pulled something like 3.5 seconds on him in the lap and a half after Toyota obviously had to tell him to stop it and Button passed.

And then He goes and does the same shit to Kazuki as he was about to pass him coming down from pit lane. It was a ridiculous thing to do, and it's really lucky Naka escaped unharmed considering how fast He was going when He clipped Kobiyashi's left rear wheel and got launched.